Camera recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheek

Jan 16, 2004
A big thank you to those who had previously assisted me with the 10x optical zoom query. But the Canon Powershot was just way over my budget.

Have since given up on the "maximum zoom" demand. Now I'm just happy with a 3x optical zoom camera. HOWEVER, I do have some preference lah.

1. MUST have image stabiliser, preferably optical as I heard its better?
2. At least 5 mpixel but the more the better.
3. As compact as possible.

Have been recommended 2 so far. One is the Olympus Mju800. My fren got it for over $600 which I feel is damn cheap for a 8mpixel cam. But its stabiliser is digital.

The other I was recommended was Sony DSC-T9. List price is $799 & is 6mpixel "only" however its stabiliser is optical.

Any other models to recommend?

wait for the new line of pansonic models to come out. the Tz1 might interest you with the compact body and 10x zoom. more info : here

whats your budget btw?

metallilan said:
wait for the new line of pansonic models to come out. the Tz1 might interest you with the compact body and 10x zoom. more info : here

whats your budget btw?
Cool, got OIS too. Any idea when its gonna hit our shores? Budget ah? As low as possible? ;p Not more than $700 preferably lah.

wheek said:
Cool, got OIS too. Any idea when its gonna hit our shores? Budget ah? As low as possible? ;p Not more than $700 preferably lah.

i think it may cost more, jus my guess... :sweat:

10x zoom in a compact body w/ OIS, mayb FZ5 (aft price reduce :lovegrin: )?

wheek said:

i think Fz5 and S2 just nice... cuz Fz7 and S3 when it comes out sure will be quite high one.. :confused:

wheek said:
2. At least 5 mpixel but the more the better.

Why do you need to have many megapixel? You printing them out on huge sizes? 3-5MP is adequate for a good 4R print.

hori said:
Why do you need to have many megapixel? You printing them out on huge sizes? 3-5MP is adequate for a good 4R print.
I was told that in cases where my zoom can't reach, I can get a high MP cam & then use software to blow up the image. Apparently the high MP will result in less loss in quality.

sORe-EyEz said:
i think it may cost more, jus my guess... :sweat:

10x zoom in a compact body w/ OIS, mayb FZ5 (aft price reduce :lovegrin: )?
Crap! BTW is an optical image stabiliser that much better than a digital one?

wheek said:
Crap! BTW is an optical image stabiliser that much better than a digital one?

tt i dunno. :sweat:

Snoweagle said:
IMO, opticals are better than digitals.
Was considering Olympus mju800. Only $600 odd & 8 Mpixel somemore. But its digital IS. :(

wheek said:
Was considering Olympus mju800. Only $600 odd & 8 Mpixel somemore. But its digital IS. :(

The new S3 IS gets my vote, even though it's around the $1k region.

Can not make it lah! $1000 is way over my budget. Besides, I'm looking for something more compact that can at least fit in my sling bag if not my pocket.

wheek said:
Can not make it lah! $1000 is way over my budget. Besides, I'm looking for something more compact that can at least fit in my sling bag if not my pocket.

Oh...then the pwershot A5 series or A6 series should more than enough suffice.

Snoweagle said:
Oh...then the pwershot A5 series or A6 series should more than enough suffice.
No optical image stabiliser I believe?

Haha looks like you're trying to buy a BMW with the budget of a corolla.

You can't expect high end features and expect to pay a low price.

Features like OIS and a high MP count (ie above 6) are standard features on higher end models which will also include a lens w/ btw 8-10X zoom. These cameras will cost btw $800 - $1000+

Furthermore, you want the camera to be small. Miniaturisation comes at the expense of higher cost and quality. Small cams aren't noted for their image quality, which I guess is also a criteria for you.

The only range I can think of that fits yr technical requirements is the panasonic lumix range, but they come in at ard 5 to 6 MP.

At the end of the day, you have to compromise somewhere. My advice, forget abt the MP. The additional zoom you heard is quite over rated. Yes its useful for cropping, but it isn't really that great. And if you think about it, nikon dLSRs like the D70 have 6 MP too, so what more a P&S?

Sadly in photography, you get what you pay for.

IS is gd for convenience without bringing out a tripod and better ease of use in some places. But best solution is still a tripod though hehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.