Camera Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

poptart

Jan 16, 2006
Hi,

I am a digital convert with a D70 and D200 on order, but I was suprised to read in the recent GQ mag about a 7 megapixel Samsung V770 that is on the way.

These camera phones are getting very high quality and I wondered if you thought they will take over from the traditional point-and-shoot cameras?

Also stumbled across a competition with some pro shooters ONLY using mobile devices! www.seenew.com

Its just time before these all-in-1 stuff eventually take major foothold in this overly materialistic world. Recall those days when home stereo system which you have the speakers, the receiver, the player and stuff, all seperately, and today they in one set, and turn out to much cheaper.

If I want a PnS camera, a phone, a MP3 player, a MCE portable media player, a portable networking device, a storage media > I can simply crash on a PDA phone, which will turn out, save me from a couple of hundreds - or thousands.

poptart said:
Hi,

I am a digital convert with a D70 and D200 on order, but I was suprised to read in the recent GQ mag about a 7 megapixel Samsung V770 that is on the way.

These camera phones are getting very high quality and I wondered if you thought they will take over from the traditional point-and-shoot cameras?

Also stumbled across a competition with some pro shooters ONLY using mobile devices! www.seenew.com
7MP phone. Interesting but not enuff to get me changed.

I still like the quality, speed and handling of a (D)SLR. ;p

poptart said:
Hi,

They might initially get a bit of the P&S market - but look at the size of the lenses on those things. 7mp would be a complete waste with a lens that size.

It's just the MP race taking a new turn.

Sooner or later the consumers are going to realise these things are turning out crappy images and get a 'real' camera.

matthew said:
Sooner or later the consumers are going to realise these things are turning out crappy images and get a 'real' camera.

Iknow what you are saying, but I was pretty impressed with some of the images in the competition. Obviously they are only screen resolution so hard to gauge the real quality.

What excited me is the sheer practicality of. Just imagine all those times when you wished you had your DLSR with you or even a P&S to capture an image that unfolds before you. Now you will always "get" the image...

As for camera/technology quality, i have no doubt that if the consumer demand is there, the boffins will come up with an acceptable solution. These tech makets move so fast that I really beleive that soon we will have acceptable cameras. Just look at the new nokia N90 camera phone with a Carl Ziess lens of all things!!!!!

Quality wise, all camera phones' camera function is as good as useless, period.

read about interpolation and would like to ask for Handphone Cameras are the megapixel count accurate? or interpolated?

poptart said:
Iknow what you are saying, but I was pretty impressed with some of the images in the competition. Obviously they are only screen resolution so hard to gauge the real quality.

What excited me is the sheer practicality of. Just imagine all those times when you wished you had your DLSR with you or even a P&S to capture an image that unfolds before you. Now you will always "get" the image...

As for camera/technology quality, i have no doubt that if the consumer demand is there, the boffins will come up with an acceptable solution. These tech makets move so fast that I really beleive that soon we will have acceptable cameras. Just look at the new nokia N90 camera phone with a Carl Ziess lens of all things!!!!!
Erm... perhaps my friend's wife a lousy photographer, but the hardcopy prints I'd seen taken with her 'megapixel phone camera' is needless to say, far frm below average quality.

I weep upon seeing nice memory photos of a loving couple with horrible WB, noise control. :(

tao said:

I wouldn't say ALL are as good as useless. Just MOST.

A well executed 2MP cameraphone like the Sony Ericsson 750i makes an extremely useful picture capture tool for quality blog pics and even the occasional postcard prints. The closeup capability is actually very good. Sometimes the best camera is the one that you have with you, and I take my mobilephone everywhere.

I had my 903sh for some months already. it is definately an acceptable camera.

got to post this link everytime someone says hp camera no good :) comes with 2x optical zoom and autofocus :)

http://pisduck.com/902sh/902sh.jpg

i heard nowadays all camera phones sold on the market do not have the ability to shoot photos silently....will have at least a beep or click for each shot taken. Is that true?

My 7610 can shoot silently, coz it's bought in Taiwan....my friend's handphone of the same model is unable to switch off the offending "click".

tao said:

You may be right, but only for NOW.

If you don't qualify your statement with "As at now....", you may be forced to eat back your own words, some time in the near or far future. ;)

sbs99 said:
i heard nowadays all camera phones sold on the market do not have the ability to shoot photos silently....will have at least a beep or click for each shot taken. Is that true?

My 7610 can shoot silently, coz it's bought in Taiwan....my friend's handphone of the same model is unable to switch off the offending "click".

This is because people abuse the cam-phone to take illicit pic like up-skirt, changing room, toilet...etc.

Hence the manufacturers make it mandatory for the cam to produce sound when click, to alert the potential victim.

(Of course I believe there's always ways to get around)

Since we're on this topic, I recall few months back a guy got caught taking upskirt pic when a lady was going up escalator. He gave away himself because he used flash. :bsmilie:

i am all for it man. using hp c/w camera function:thumbsup:

an incident happen to me yesterday made me realise this.

machines placed at customer's place had been vanderlised. wanted to take photos as evidents but dont have camera.

i always carry my cam-phone around. u never know when u need to take screenshots of errors at customer place so that i can feedback to the softwares companies... and for shooting friends halfway while talking on the phone, hehe

i believe that they have better quality cams inside cam-phones. at least i know N70 and that samsung 3MP phone have better quality then K750i/W800i

hi quekky, welcome back.

how is N70 compare to N90 interm of camera fuction?

denniskee said:
hi quekky, welcome back.

how is N70 compare to N90 interm of camera fuction?
not too sure, none of my friends have N90. how about u buy 1 then i can tell u? :sticktong:

ha ha ha, where got money. dont even have money to go raiding tombs.:bsmilie:

than between n70 and that samsung 3MP phone you mention (which model?) which is better in term of camera function.

mobile phone cameras are handy, period.
I have found it most useful in many situations when quality is not important.
Few examples it has made my life easier:

• sending photo of client machine setups from client site back to office
  • sending quick mms pic to friend from vacation
  • searching friend house during CNY, he sent me pic how his house look like

I probably have quite some more, but these are basically the general convenience I found the camera phone offers. Of course, for print outs and photo-keep, I prefer my dedicated camera which produces sharper photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.