Camera phone or digital camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyZ

May 27, 2004
Casio has launched a 3.2 megapixel camera integrated phone in Japan..and i heard that some other brand is now offering a 2x optical zoom in a camera phone. Was thinking...why would I need my point and shoot camera still when that technology arrives in SG, and i expect that to be quite soon..

Currently owns a Panasonic 3.2 MP dsc..

Cause you don't want it to ring? :cool:

Even though the camera phone may be 3.2mp, how big is the image sensor of the camera phone, and how good is the lens? I can assure you that the sensor of the point-and-shoot option will be bigger than that of the camera phone, and also the lens will be better.

Any pictures or specifications of the phone?

Resolutions

This is what i gathered...it looks like an ordinary clam shell cellphone...

Based upon the press release, it appears that the A5406CA includes seven different resolutions: QXGA(2048×1536, UXGA (1600×1200), SXGA(1280×960), VGA(640×480), (240×320)、(120×160), (1280×320).

Size: 52×102×28mm
Weight: 125g
Standby time: 200 hours
Continuous talk time: 2 hours 40 mins
Main display: Approx. 2.3" crystal fine LCD (QVGA)
Sub display: Approx 1.1: LCD (72x96 pix)
External memory: miniSD
Camera: 3.2MP CCD (with autofocus)
Ringtone voices: 64
Case colours: White, black and purple
Java
GPS
Chaku-uta supported (MP3 ringtone download style service)
Twin speaker for stereo sound

camera phone just get for fun only :)

Virgo said:
A phone is still a phone. I'll NEVER hope to take good pictures with a phone's camera.

Don't speak too soon. It wasn't too many years back when i was telling myself an inkjet can never produce photographic quality prints. As long as there's money in it, they will make it.

They may not be able to get around the small sensor and small lens, but for holiday snapshots at 4R size prints, this kind of cam-phone can be just the right thing.

not interested in camera phone in the near future.

but as mp goes higher, no doubt camera phone will be a great voyuer's tool

zekai said:
not interested in camera phone in the near future.

but as mp goes higher, no doubt camera phone will be a great voyuer's tool

I quite agree with zekai. I've yet to own a camera-phone. Think it'll be a fun tool of snapping impromtu moments with friends and/or special ones. But, put a camera-phone in the wrong hands... *shudder*

WTNIY

i used to think camera phones are just for children's use...but looking at the speed it's evolving...

now that they have even incorporated external storage...mini SD cards....the possibilities are endless....but true, can only replace low-mid end digital cameras, but not the semi-pro and the dslrs.

read in an article on net that epson, canon are collaborating to develop direct print connectivity for camera phones.

AshleyZ said:
i used to think camera phones are just for children's use...but looking at the speed it's evolving...

now that they have even incorporated external storage...mini SD cards....the possibilities are endless....but true, can only replace low-mid end digital cameras, but not the semi-pro and the dslrs.

read in an article on net that epson, canon are collaborating to develop direct print connectivity for camera phones.

mini sd cards?
for real?
how much smaller can an sd card get?
:sweat:

Umm, the real problem with camera phones isn't the resolution - it is the noise, limited dynamic range, and crappy lens!

This picture was taken with my O2 XDA2 (640 x 480):

original.jpg

This picture was taken indoors (but it was very bright). See the noise on the shirt, the wall, the unnatural skin tones, the loss of detail in the hair and pager ... even a LOMO could do better.

A 3.2MP camera phone would still be useless if it takes pictures like this. In fact it would probably be worse because the pixel pitch will be TINY!

If I need something small to take pictures with, it would definitely not be a camera phone.

ST1100 said:
Don't speak too soon. It wasn't too many years back when i was telling myself an inkjet can never produce photographic quality prints. As long as there's money in it, they will make it.

They may not be able to get around the small sensor and small lens, but for holiday snapshots at 4R size prints, this kind of cam-phone can be just the right thing.

I do agree with Virgo... the technology will progress (almost) equally depending on the $$$ and market. Therefore disparity between cam and phone still exists.

by the time there is a good 3.2MP cam with very good image quality, there'll be p&s cameras will very high MP already... :bsmilie:

i would get neither. i would like a phone to talk and a DSLR to take pictures. :D

devilicboy said:
by the time there is a good 3.2MP cam with very good image quality, there'll be p&s cameras will very high MP already... :bsmilie:

but we really do not need high MP in a camera..2 MP enuff to print 4R photos...i wonder when the pixel war will end tho'.

Status
Not open for further replies.