Camera on board the plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufus

Aug 15, 2006
Quick question : Are there any precautions needed when taking my DSLR up the cabin of the plane when going overseas? Are there any issues with pressure or anything?

Ya, don't yawn so hard. You most probably loosen your lower jaw in high altitude and pressure.

2 c worth

Shouldn't have any problems, in fact you should also be able to take photographs from the plane, though you should do that discretely.

Shouldn't have any problems, in fact you should also be able to take photographs from the plane, though you should do that discretely.

Yes u can but according to rules on board, no photography when plane is taking off and landing. U can do it but don't get caught.

BTW, pressurisation inside the plane to ONLY to allow passengers on board to feel the same pressure on air as it is on earth. The reason why some get blocked ears is due to change of altitude, the pressure remains the same. If de-pressurisation occurs then u'll have a big problem of difficulty in breathing, thus the oxygen masks activates and drops.

In another note is pressurisation inside the plane affects your camera, then what abt wine glasses on board??

Just a reflection.

Yes u can but according to rules on board, no photography when plane is taking off and landing. U can do it but don't get caught.

Thats not very good advise to give....

i think we should question such rules...

I don't think they have a rule that prohibits photography explicitly but rather requires you to switch off all electronic devices when taking off or landing as it may interfere with the plane's flight instruments.... You mean we should question such rules? Who's going to be accountable if the plane crashes?

It's a SOP, if u insist, they will offload u.

My point is, it's not good advise to tell someone to take photos secretly when you are not supposed to switch on your camera in the first place.

My point is, it's not good advise to tell someone to take photos secretly when you are not supposed to switch on your camera in the first place.

It's a fact of life. Tons of pple are doing it and in youtube, u can see numerous videos as evidence.

U're half correct on the interference part. The main reason why it's not allowed during take off and landing (including portable game consoles and laptops) is for personal safety. The real inteference which is banned throughout are mobile phones.

You mean we should question such rules?

Yes. what is wrong with questioning? i'm sure if there is good reasons, it can be spelled out.

I don't think they have a rule that prohibits photography explicitly but rather requires you to switch off all electronic devices when taking off or landing as it may interfere with the plane's flight instruments.... Who's going to be accountable if the plane crashes?

i think "may" is very ambiguous here and need to be substantiated. evidence based science would account for anything if you ask.

what if you take a plane who insist that you must take off your digital watch, if not the plane may explode. and to be more absurd, one can insist that you have to take away other things too. it is always very easy to slam one with "Who's going to be accountable if the plane crashes?" and everything under the sky can be threatened to be obliged by using that kind of statement.

i understand your points. but "Who's going to be accountable" kind of statement simply ends any healthy discussion becos it carries along the fear tactic. i believe for everything in life, we should try our best to do them for good reasons and not just blindly follow them.

i'm not saying we should be defiant with the regulations but certainly we should cast doubts for questionable practices and it is the responsibility of the authorities to undertake the correct practices.

The main reason why it's not allowed during take off and landing (including portable game consoles and laptops) is for personal safety.

can i understand why it affects personal safety?

i think we should question such rules...

If you're referring to questioning rules about taking photos during take-off and landing, please, please do it when you are not on the plane. If you do that on the plane and delay the flight, the other passengers will join the flight attendant in beating you up.

I agree with Snoweagle - if you want to take photos, please do it discreetly. If you're confronted, act surprised, plead ignorance and apologize profusely.

can i understand why it affects personal safety?

Emergency manoeuvres are a lot more likely during take-off and landing (e.g. aborted landings). Having loose equipment around, or paying more attention to your gadgets than your surrounding, puts you and others around you at greater risk.

Edit: imagine coroner's report - cause of death : blunt trauma from heavy photographic lens

BTW, pressurisation inside the plane to ONLY to allow passengers on board to feel the same pressure on air as it is on earth. The reason why some get blocked ears is due to change of altitude, the pressure remains the same.

Pressurization in cabin is to prevent passengers from dying from asphyxiation.

The plane does not maintain a constant cabin pressure throughout a trip. The ear popping sensation is due to changes in pressure due to the plane changing altitude.

Humans can survive in a large pressure range - from below sea level (scuba diving - pressure several times above sea level) to a few kilometers above sea level.

Having said that, there is nothing to worry about regarding cameras being carried onto the plane. What is more important is to ensure that they are packed securely to prevent damage.

Quick question : Are there any precautions needed when taking my DSLR up the cabin of the plane when going overseas? Are there any issues with pressure or anything?

1392746382_3a85f5decd.jpg

Emergency manoeuvres are a lot more likely during take-off and landing (e.g. aborted landings). Having loose equipment around, or paying more attention to your gadgets than your surrounding, puts you and others around you at greater risk.

that sounds exaggerated about paying attention to the gadgets during emergency manoeuvres.

if that is the case of having loose equipment, they should inhibit all loose items on the lap and hand as a universal rule rather than just on electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.