Camera manual function

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1979sg

Sep 21, 2008
just got my SX10IS 3 days ago, in fact it is my first time using a semi pro camera, therefore would like to clear out some doubts between the P mode and the M mode of the camera.

From what I understand, P mode will auto set the aperture, shutter speed and the correct exposure to take a picture. Whereas M mode is fully manual function for you to set the aperture and shutter speed to your own preferences. When I tried using the manual mode to manual set the aperture and shutter, somehow the exposure level at the corner will prompt me that it is either over or under expose and it is only when I set it to the same settings as what the camera auto set for me in P mode then the exposure level will prompt that it is a correct exposure.

Does the exposure level really matter when it comes to shooting in manual mode? Do you always have to "obey" what the exposure level prompts you when taking the picture in manual mode? If I would to obey the exposure level eventually I would get the same image quality as what I took in the P mode.

Anyone can advise??

The idea of shooting in manual is to iveride the 'intelligent' auto settings. When in auto, you can get the effect you want, so the ony way is to go manual. So, just ignore the prompts and shoot away.

just got my SX10IS 3 days ago, in fact it is my first time using a semi pro camera, therefore would like to clear out some doubts between the P mode and the M mode of the camera.

From what I understand, P mode will auto set the aperture, shutter speed and the correct exposure to take a picture. Whereas M mode is fully manual function for you to set the aperture and shutter speed to your own preferences. When I tried using the manual mode to manual set the aperture and shutter, somehow the exposure level at the corner will prompt me that it is either over or under expose and it is only when I set it to the same settings as what the camera auto set for me in P mode then the exposure level will prompt that it is a correct exposure.

Does the exposure level really matter when it comes to shooting in manual mode? Do you always have to "obey" what the exposure level prompts you when taking the picture in manual mode? If I would to obey the exposure level eventually I would get the same image quality as what I took in the P mode.

Anyone can advise??
basically its your camera, though its a good idea to follow the meter for exposure...feel free to ignore it and see what comes out. :)

Most of the time though, even good shots go through post processing in an image editor.

I have had several "strange" outcomes when not following the guidelines but pretty interesting if learning what your camera will get with what settings.

U do not necessary have to obey the exposure level, esp in a situation where there is a stark difference in the exposure of the subject vs its surroundings.
eg. a person in a dark room with a bright window as his background.

u can then play around with the exposure & shutter speed. u can use the histogram of the pic taken as ur guide. the LCD display should only be used as a rough guide to see if it is the kind of effect u want.

also ur mode of metering comes into play, whether it is spot/ partial/ center metering.

keep playing & enjoy the "feel" for ur photos. :)

Read here and learn what exposure means.
Of course, the camera will indicate correct exposure if you select the same setting in M mode as the camera does in P mode. Reason is that the metering done by the camera is the same. In P mode the cam does the job for you, in M mode it's your job and the cam just gives a hint. Identical settings for identical conditions will result in identical exposure. But for you to learn is: what exactly is exposure and also 'correct exposure' according the given conditions.
As pro_FHM has pointed out: exposure also depends on what you want to achieve. This might not be the same as what the camera understands as 'correct exposure'. For the beginning you can select P mode and play with the exposure settings (EV -2/+2). Also, you can change aperture in P mode and see the results. In P mode the cam will automatically adjust the shutter speed to get correct exposure.
Av and Tv mode are possible options depending on the subject and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.