Camera Live View

Status
Not open for further replies.

xintothezonex

Oct 20, 2008
East Side
Some one have mention regarding about live view in here.
Best for me to open a new thread to enlighten any doubts..

I attended a course on dslr functions and the lecturer told us in the class best not to use the live view that much because he claimed that it will damaged the camera sensor.
What the reason he gave us was that if to use the live view, the camera shutter is open and thus light will directly goes to the sensor and then 'burning' the camera sensor.

So is this true? :dunno:

If yes than how about those shooting videos with live view or does the video camera has got a better sensor?

Any ideas? :think:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Video cameras have a smaller sensor designed specifically for long use, with sufficient heatsinks, etc.

On DSLR cameras, the sensor will get hotter and hotter, which is why after a while it will shut down to cool off. I think most C and N DSLRs can only take 10-12 minutes of video at a time.

can the damaged sensor be replaced, assuming that the user overused the live view function?

I don't think it's that easy to damage the sensor leh...

The main difference (for me at least) between getting a dSLR and staying put with a prosumer (like my FZ20) was the optical viewfinder. So much clearer! Besides, using the viewfinder instead of Live View is a more stable way to shoot. For me, Live View is a good feature to have for occasional shots, but I wouldn't be using it to shoot all the time. Some more my camera so heavy... haha!

I don't think it's that easy to damage the sensor leh...

The main difference (for me at least) between getting a dSLR and staying put with a prosumer (like my FZ20) was the optical viewfinder. So much clearer! Besides, using the viewfinder instead of Live View is a more stable way to shoot. For me, Live View is a good feature to have for occasional shots, but I wouldn't be using it to shoot all the time. Some more my camera so heavy... haha!

hmm.. dat i dont knw if its easy to get damage.. i dont wanna to try at all.. hee!
and i agree with you using the viewfinder is more stable than using the live view.

can the damaged sensor be replaced, assuming that the user overused the live view function?

The camera has self-protection mechanisms to prevent overheating. The live view will switch off.

It seems your lecturer isn't too well informed.

The camera has self-protection mechanisms to prevent overheating. The live view will switch off.

very true ha ha. i think it is time to attend some of those tutorials in CS itself. :)

If I am not wrong Sony's LV can be used longer because they uses a secondary sensor. :think:

Correct. The main sensor is not used, so it stays cold.

Correct. The main sensor is not used, so it stays cold.

I agree with Rashkae.

wat i think.. if the camera have that function thn it is safe to use.
why bother make such function like the live view but it will damaged the sensor.
doesnt make sense.

I agree with Rashkae.

wat i think.. if the camera have that function thn it is safe to use.
why bother make such function like the live view but it will damaged the sensor.
doesnt make sense.

That's what I thought so, otherwise, the manual would have printed a warning note to all user, right ? Just like any electrical items, there is always some diagrams showing DOs n DON'Ts.

i see.. actually i have also been using live view for quite a while when i was using another DSLR, i think about at least 2 years already? but yet the sensor didnt spoilt.. and since someone ask this topic, at least i 'm glad to know it wont damaged the sensor..:D Or else heart pain, wallet pain..:(

actually i recommend using the lcd as it gives you 100% view rather then ~95% in viewfinders.

as long the camera is under warranty, replacement should be free as it can be argued if so easily spoilt then is clearly manufacturer defect.

but is the operation lag significant?

i mean switching between live view and actual depressing the shutter to take a pic?

what if you need to take sports or fast-moving objects?

i mean switching between live view and actual depressing the shutter to take a pic?

shutter lag can be reduced by holding focus first.

for high speed, the usual solution is play with shutter speed and iso. having fast lens is a bonus.

There's no lag on the sony systems. On the C and N systems, best to lock focus first.

shutter lag can be reduced by holding focus first.

for high speed, the usual solution is play with shutter speed and iso. having fast lens is a bonus.

There's no lag on the sony systems. On the C and N systems, best to lock focus first.

i have never try before using the live view for fast moving objects.
i am so comfortable using the viewfinder i dnt knw if it can really works or shall i say get good pictures.
but then again if were to use the live view, thn cannot use the multi-shots.
anyway will try it one day and see how it feels.

cheers!

i have never try before using the live view for fast moving objects.
i am so comfortable using the viewfinder i dnt knw if it can really works or shall i say get good pictures.
but then again if were to use the live view, thn cannot use the multi-shots.
anyway will try it one day and see how it feels.

cheers!

Curious.. which system are you using? :dunno:

interesting. is there something in the sony system that the other two don't have? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.