camera lens? which to buy.

snaem85

May 31, 2009
hi all,

i have been using lumix lx3 since years ago. intend to upgrade with sitex coming around the corner.

a friend recommended canon 550d.

how about the lens? any to recommended for a camera noob like me?

btw, would sitex be a good purchase the camera or other shops like MS?

thanks!

hi all,

i have been using lumix lx3 since years ago. intend to upgrade with sitex coming around the corner.

thanks!

sitex deals quite rubbish, just use the kit lens first.

I think the most important question is what kind of things do you like/intend to shoot. Generally it is best if you are very clear about this early on.

kit lens. 18-55. or 18-135. Always good to start from basics.

Last edited:
Sitex is only good if they are clearing stock of an old model camera.

Or else you can try your luck by going during the last hour on the last day, I once got lucky when I got a really good deal. I suspect that they didn't hit their sales target and desperate to make some last min sales. Either that or they hope to clear as much stock as they can so they don't have to bring it back to the store again

kit lens kit lens kit lens kit lens kit lens

repeat this every morning when you wake up.

use the kit lense...

if u really wan to burn money n buy some lense, get the 50 f1.8...
the wide aperature will give u good bokeh, something most compact can't do

kit lens kit lens kit lens kit lens kit lens

repeat this every morning when you wake up.

so discouraging :bsmilie: how to satisfy BBB virus liddat...

but have to admit - quite true lah :)

TS, start with the kit lens until u discover more about what u like to shoot, the effects u want to achieve, the subjects u want to capture.

kinda like, if u like macro, get a macro lens, if u like birds, get a long tele lens, if u like portraits, get a fast prime or fast zoom, if u just like casual shooting with no particular focus, a kit lens or a superzoom may suit u best.

so the answer to your question is: it depends.

My suggestion, dont waste time to buy the package at SITEX.
Buy your own setup
camera body + 50mm 1.8
Normally Sitex advantage is u get additional freebies. But u can still haggle to get these item if u buy at Funan for example.
If u get 18~55 kit lens, chances is that u will realize u need better lens for better image and u just keep it in cabi later on.
Go straight to PRIME and enjoy shooting with good bokeh.
If u have budget better get 35mm 1.8

Jdc

Jdc

use the kit lense...

if u really wan to burn money n buy some lense, get the 50 f1.8...
the wide aperature will give u good bokeh, something most compact can't do

Prime lens does NOT mean it has good bokeh. Prime lens just means it has a fixed focal lengh. A 500mm f/8 is a prime lens for example, but will give you neither good background blur nor does it have good bokeh.

Remember, bokeh IS NOT the same as "background blurred due to thin DOF".

My suggestion, dont waste time to buy the package at SITEX.
Buy your own setup
camera body + 50mm 1.8
Normally Sitex advantage is u get additional freebies. But u can still haggle to get these item if u buy at Funan for example.
If u get 18~55 kit lens, chances is that u will realize u need better lens for better image and u just keep it in cabi later on.

Jdc

bad advice, prime lenses are very much based on individual preferences.

it will be very bad for TS to just throw money into primes when he himself is a DSLR newbie and does not know how he will like to shoot.

a zoom lens can mimic the focal length of a prime and gives him an idea of how it feels like to shoot at that fixed focal length, albeit without the fast aperture of cause.

however, the reverse is not true for prime lens, if TS doesn't like that particular focal length, there is nothing he can do to extend/shorten it. only way is to sell the prime and go for other lenses.

not all people enjoy shooting bokehlicious shots. some may want more versatility in the zoom range, while others may just want a bit of everything.

TS, my advice is you get the kit lens, be it the 18-55/18-135/18-200. add on more lenses only when you know what is lacking in your setup.

Prime lens does NOT mean it has good bokeh. Prime lens just means it has a fixed focal lengh. A 500mm f/8 is a prime lens for example, but will give you neither good background blur nor does it have good bokeh.

Remember, bokeh IS NOT the same as "background blurred due to thin DOF".

yeah, bokeh refers to the quality of blur, not the blur itself.

Hi, sorry I slotted myself in.
I have a D5100 kit lens with 18-55 and additional 55-200 f4-5.6 VR

I am looking around with lower 'f' to play in a low light condition and wide angle.
2 lenses came into my mind:
AFS 35mm f/1.8
AFS 50mm f/1.8
I am questioning both of them, and how will they react to my original 18-55 lens?

I believe the original 18-55 couldn't compete with 35/50 in low light conditions right?

I am looking around with lower 'f' to play in a low light condition and wide angle.
AFS 35mm f/1.8
AFS 50mm f/1.8
I am questioning both of them, and how will they react to my original 18-55 lens?

I believe the original 18-55 couldn't compete with 35/50 in low light conditions right?

What do you want to shoot? I find it very very funny that people start coming into other people's thread asking something that is so vague that no one can help. We know you are shooting at low light condition, but even that, you need to tell us what you want to shoot, portrait? Landscape, architecture, what?

Plus the two lenses that you have listed down are not wide angle lens when they are put on a cropped camera.

hi all,

thanks!

Like what others had already pointed out - use the kit lens and perhaps add a 55-250mm lens for range... it should be able to get you pretty far into your hobby. No point getting a prime at the moment unless you are very sure of what you want.

AFS 35mm f/1.8
AFS 50mm f/1.8

Butting in to someone else's thread is called threadjacking. If you have a question, post your own thread!

So you are questioning them? What answers have they given? How are you making the lenses talk?

As for how they will react, I don't know. Maybe jealousy? Maybe aggression? Put them in the same room and see what happens!

What do you want to shoot? I find it very very funny that people start coming into other people's thread asking something that is so vague that no one can help. We know you are shooting at low light condition, but even that, you need to tell us what you want to shoot, portrait? Landscape, architecture, what?

Plus the two lenses that you have listed down are not wide angle lens when they are put on a cropped camera.
Strangely my new thread doesn't pop up after I entered twice.

There are a few situations that I want to shot
-Weddings shots in a hotel (I am trying not to use flash, but with warm light from the hotel ballroom)
-Landscapes, such as sunrise and sunset, forest shot of sunray too.

-Weddings shots in a hotel (I am trying not to use flash, but with warm light from the hotel ballroom)

1. Are you willing to boost your ISO to 3200 or 6400 and have whitebalance problems? Remember, just because you use a large-aperture lens does NOT mean you *should* shoot at large apertures. Don't forget how thin your DOF will be. You can't get everyone at a table in focus if you shoot at f/1.8. DO NOT underestimate how vital a flash is in these situations. There's a damn good reason why the professionals will always shoot with a flash.

2. Use your kit lens. As for sunrays, this depends on the weather, your luck, your location etc.

Strangely my new thread doesn't pop up after I entered twice.

There are a few situations that I want to shot

1) Use a flash. Use a flash. Use a flash... unless there are specific orders not to, never be shy to use a flash... but for wedding shots, please also take care not to hinder the professional photographers when he/she is taking shots of the couple.

2) Landscape - your kit lens is good enough. 35mm and 50mm is too tight.

Thank for the infos.
Sorry but I am a super newbie in this field. :)