camera/lens repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtlim

Apr 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post here, pardon me if i posted in the wrong forum.

1)i had a >10 year old Canon EOS10QD(not the current 10D), due to age the viewfinder show lots of dirt and hair. i had tried to clean the mirror and viewfinder but cant seem to remove them.

2)got a sigma zoom lens, again, due to age, has fungus.:confused:

3)a canon zoom lens, focusing control gone, both auto and manual.

i had read some posts here and some recommend a shop in sunshine plaza or another one in funan. would those who had send their equipment to repair, give me some info on how they charge. also, is it worth to repair them at all, or i'll be better of sell them away.

any help would be appreciated.

seriously, given the conditions u described...its preferably better to buy new items.

hi kurtlim
actually both camera hospital at sunshine plaza and camera workshop at peninsula gives rather reasonable rates. besides, they would quote you a price b4 proceding so u can always bring ur gear down for assessment first.
i clean fungu off my lens at camera workshop for $65
got a friend who repair his autofocus mechanism at camera workshop for $120. dun ask me wat the repairs entails, i have no idea!:) i only know his af lens can only manual focus then after repair can autofocus again!

Well, the advice is, unless your lens are very expensive and that you are unlikely to get a new one soon, it's not advisable to send in any lens for repair, even if it's to the original service centres.

Even though they clean up the lens, more likely than not, your lens will not perform as when it was newer. Either your AF calibration will be off, or your optics will become softer. Sometimes if the fungus is too bad, they will ask you whether you want to change the elements in the lens which will go into the hundreds, which isn't going to be worth it if your lens just cost a couple of hundreds.

but if you are just hoping to extend the lifespan of your lens, then by all means, just don't expect too much when your lens comes back.

Originally posted by dehuis
hi kurtlim
actually both camera hospital at sunshine plaza and camera workshop at peninsula gives rather reasonable rates. besides, they would quote you a price b4 proceding so u can always bring ur gear down for assessment first.
i clean fungu off my lens at camera workshop for $65
got a friend who repair his autofocus mechanism at camera workshop for $120. dun ask me wat the repairs entails, i have no idea!:) i only know his af lens can only manual focus then after repair can autofocus again!

now i roughly know the repair cost, thanks a lot for the info. :)

Originally posted by Prismatic
Well, the advice is, unless your lens are very expensive and that you are unlikely to get a new one soon, it's not advisable to send in any lens for repair, even if it's to the original service centres.

Even though they clean up the lens, more likely than not, your lens will not perform as when it was newer. Either your AF calibration will be off, or your optics will become softer. Sometimes if the fungus is too bad, they will ask you whether you want to change the elements in the lens which will go into the hundreds, which isn't going to be worth it if your lens just cost a couple of hundreds.

but if you are just hoping to extend the lifespan of your lens, then by all means, just don't expect too much when your lens comes back.

the sigma zoom lens, a 70-210mm f3.5-4.5 APO. got it ~$500 10 years ago. do u think its worth to pay ~$65 to ge t it repair? if not, whats the equivalent lens cost now?

as for the canon zoom lens, i guess it isnt worth to pay >$120 for the repair. i believe a 35-70mm zoom f3.5-4.5 should be ~$250?
i had been out of tough with photography for ages, i cant even remmember where i bought the gear. :confused: pls bear with me.

Originally posted by clive
seriously, given the conditions u described...its preferably better to buy new items.

hmm...maybe its a good idea, but i need to sell them first, otherwise it would be a waste. would anyone be interested in a 10 years old EOS-10?

hi, is this peninsula camera workshop on the side of peninsula itself, or across the road on the side of funan (in the basement) ? Unfortunately, I also have fungus on my canon usm 70-210, and my EOS100 is suffering from the infamous EOS frozen curtain problem.

why dont u check with Canon service centre at Bukit Merah.. If I am not wrong I once enquired and was told that they charge a flat fee of 83.50 for serivicing of camera/lens.. and they cover the serviced items with 3 months warranty.. Check with them.. if you think its just some dirt/fungus kinda thing..

Originally posted by akdwivedi
why dont u check with Canon service centre at Bukit Merah.. If I am not wrong I once enquired and was told that they charge a flat fee of 83.50 for serivicing of camera/lens.. and they cover the serviced items with 3 months warranty.. Check with them.. if you think its just some dirt/fungus kinda thing..

Hmm... if you are going to send the EOS100 for repair of the shutter blades, it will definitely be not worth it. Cos for them to repair the shutter blades, they will have to replace the entire shutter block which is about $160. I've send my EOS 500 and EOS 50 to repair the same problem before.

Status
Not open for further replies.