camera issues with cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytbryan

Oct 9, 2008
hi all,

i am in stockholm and i use d80.

i only started photography recently. so pardon my newbie questions.

i googled and realised that there is issues like condensation, temperature limits esp when the weather is cold. stockholm is in winter now.

1)may i know how to solve the condensation problem exactly? it says here "I put my D80 in a ziploc bag (while still outside), zipped it up, and brought it indoors. " i don understand how does the ziploc works. can someone enlighten me on this?
if i don have a zip lock bag, is there other alternative to this?

2) what are the other problem with cold weather?

thank you. :D

In all honesty, I don't think it should be that much of an issue. I brought my camera set to London last Dec, no such problems with condensation and the like. Most of the time, buildings are heated, but not to such an extent that it's drastically warmer than the outside. And the air is pretty dry, too.

Just leave your camera in your camera bag, and the air trapped in the bag should provide enough of a "buffer" for the temperature to equalise, minimising the condensation risk. No need for ziploc bags - too cumbersome and really quite impractical.

What is more of a concern is that in temperate climates where the air is drier, your equipment gets statically charged more easily than in a humid climate like Sg. This means your camera could become a dust-magnet, particularly troublesome if you tend to change lenses a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.