Camera Investing

Cameras are not for investment . except leica's :D

spending on good lens is a must and consider what u usually. no point buying a bunch of lens and put into dry cabinet and hardly use. this one is not investing and is wasting :)
spending on body depending what you shoot

Well, we can look at it another way. Investment means we expect returns. But returns don't necessary mean money. It can be the enjoyment we get out of the hobby. :)

Agree...I think TS meant investment not gaining profits in terms of money but rather in terms of experience and shooting precious moments. How to gauge if you made that 'profit'? Well I think it all boils down to your heart. Do you feel "YES MONEY WELL SPENT" or "*(#(_&#$& WASTE MONEY!".

It depends on what is your current gear setup and your needs. If say d90 is sufficient to your needs then if I want to spend money I will do in on lenses. However if say if you think your current leneses satisfy your needs but you need a more advanced mechanical feature of the body, say high fps, good high ISO performance or video then I would spend the money on the body.

Cameras are not for investment . except leica's :D

spending on good lens is a must and consider what u usually. no point buying a bunch of lens and put into dry cabinet and hardly use. this one is not investing and is wasting :)
spending on body depending what you shoot

Hahahaha it all depends on your definition of 'invest', and from the replies I think that varies between people. The returns from "investing" in photography can be tangible (income, profit from price appreciation, etc) or intangible ('joy', 'shiok feeling', etc).

To me, if a hobbyist spend $ on a new piece of equipment, and that somehow motivates him/her to go out and shoot more and hopefully better pictures, that's a good investment :)

The word investment is just being loosely used. Having said that it probably more a discussion and decision of the value the upgrade/purchase will bring to one's photography.

Stake out at Sungei road all the time... buy bad cameras, fix and restore them, sell for a profit.

That is real investment.

Purchase both!

Lenses last far longer than bodies nowadays. So buy good lenses over bodies.
This is true unless your brand 'tua' you and change direction in terms of mount.

However, every now and then, camera body technology does take a significant leap forward, and it can signal a good time to change a body.

It's not necessary that lenses and camera bodies value will only depreciate. One very good example is the Voigtlander 125mm f2.5 macro.