Camera Insurance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startrail

Nov 18, 2005
Hi there, I have no idea what this is under in all the forums, and since I am using a Nikon camera, thought I'll ask the Nikon people for help :)

I'll be travelling overseas for an extended period of time and am thinking of insuring my camera, is there anyone who can help me with this?? Because all my searches on the internet have come to naught. :)

It'll be nice to hear some opinions as to whether I'll need insurance and if I do where do I get it from :) Thanks all in advance :)

If you find out I also want to know.

Travel insurance? But the limit not very high and not specific to camera.

zcf said:
Travel insurance? But the limit not very high and not specific to camera.

most travel insurence only covers around 1 grand-5 grand, however if your doing it proffesionaly there is no coverage at all. I think you can take out camera specific insurence, must be a company that does it somewhere.

hope this helps

Yes you can.

The general item insurance (From Income), needs your equipment to be within 6mth old on day of starting. Premium is around 3% of value for I think 3 yrs period.

80% compensation for thefts / accidents.
50% compensation for misplacing.

There will be a 2% depreciation per month.

International coverage.

Heard from a Commercial Studio that insured their equipment but with very high premium.

Home insurance does cover equipment taken out of the home. You need to declare the equipment you want to insure. However, claims only for theft cases and only with police report.

May want to try HSBC. I'm using them

Insured my D70 using AIA Homeshield plan.

Yearly premiums = 2% of receipt price of insured equipment if I remember correctly

Do a search, I have posted extensively on this subject over the last 2 years regarding a very flexible package I use. Sorry, too lazy to pull out the thread for you guys.

Hmm thanks guys, I'll take a look into it :) Appreicated it :)

It depends on the use of your gear, most travel insurance companies offer add on insurance coverage for camera equipment provided you provide a list with serial numbers of the gear you intend to take.

For professional useage you'll need world wide professional insurance and that typically costs between 3-5% of the purchase price of the gear per annum with a cap of a maximum equipment age of 10 years on most policies. Otherwise you'll need to broker a special policy and that can cost serious $$

Okies thanks guys :) I've been looking around, I'm no professional, just that thought I should get insurance considering I'll be away for quite awhile and anything can happen while on a long holiday :) also looking for a suitable insurance for my laptop which I'm planning to bring, and so if possible, both to be insured by the same company to cut down on the paper work :) Thanks alot for the suggestions, would look into it ;)

Startrail said:
Okies thanks guys :) I've been looking around, I'm no professional, just that thought I should get insurance considering I'll be away for quite awhile and anything can happen while on a long holiday :) also looking for a suitable insurance for my laptop which I'm planning to bring, and so if possible, both to be insured by the same company to cut down on the paper work :) Thanks alot for the suggestions, would look into it ;)

Startail....

Go contact AXA as their Home Insurance (the better one) provides an extension to cover these items worldwide. Anything above $2000 may require receipt.

They insured my equipment for $10,000 as I have receipts for everything.

Go download the form and study the application. There are different options and creatively i only paid like $190 for a year's coverage.

Go download the form and if you don't understand how the rating system works drop me a PM and I will assist.

Thank u, point taken ;)

I think the above suggestions were just merely trying to leverage on existing insurance coverage.

So far, I can only see true camera insurance happening in UK, which includes:

# Theft
# Loss
# Damage
# Room Only
# All Risks
# New for Old
# Replacement Equipment Hire
# Personal Accident
# Public Liability
# Cover in an Unattended Vehicle

I found 1 URL that has a little descriptions: http://www.sheffnet.net/camera.html

Not sure if there is such insurance coverage in Singapore?

I had insured for lost luggage..thats if the camera inside the luggage :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.