Camera In Public Pool? Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotorthrust

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

Happened to bring my kids for a dip today and saw a bloke holding his Nikos V in the pool. Thus, I was wondering whether is it legal for him to do take pictures? Intrusion of others privacy?

Any comments?

Moderator,

Sorry, I've posted this thread on the wrong category. Pls redirect....

Thousands apologies!

depends if he's got permission.

i was asked to even change my swimming mask once, as apparently some people may think i can ogle at them underwater. that's what the lifeguard said... duh. and it's a swimming mask, not a diving mask. *shrugs*

rotorthrust said:
Moderator,

Sorry, I've posted this thread on the wrong category. Pls redirect....

Thousands apologies!

Thread moved. :)

I doubt he has got any permission....... and IF he does has one, then what's there to shoot underwater, except......

Just curious.

Cheers!

Oh great great, I wanna know the answer too! Anyone? Cause what's the privacy laws here in Singapore? what and where can we and can't we shoot?

Sorry, potong jalan your thread a little, hope you dun mind :D

sounds like may infringe privacy...next time u see him maybe u can help alert the lifeguard/admin guy

better still: write to ST and observe the follow up response

Hi

helmetbox:
No worries, hope we can find the answer here, I'm sure others would like to know too.

Clive:
To my surprise, I think the lifeguard saw him with the cam in the pool, but I doubt he (lifeguard) is too young to know about the law or whatsoever. To me, that lifeguard is just like any other students.

IF my guess is true, that man's objective of bringing his underwater cam to have a "few" snap shots of woman underwater...........then I think he's a PERVERT and should be eliminated from this society!!!

Cheers!

what if the person is just a parent who wants to take a few shots of his/her son/daughter swimming in the pool having fun ? not everybody is rich enough to own a country club membership for private pool, or a swimming pool in his/her estate, or a swimming pool in his/her own home...

Hi sequitur,

Good reply.... but the suspicous wouldn't be aroused if he's meddling his cam on the surface, and not in the pool (std pool and not children's pool). Next, I ruled out his intentions to have some shots of his "kids", b'cos there isn't any kids at that moment.

The concern here is whether is/are there any controls about bringing underwater or normal cam into swimming pool, inclusive those private clubs, condos, etc.

I think we have enough of PERVERT on this planet earth who've created a hobby of UPSKIRT and DOWNBLOUSE, maybe UNDERWATER SPREAD, in the near future.............

Cheers!

Wow... didn know that singapore public pool is so strict on camera. Is there really a law or rule on such matter? I thought only private clubs' pool or golf club pools has restriction on camera.

rotorthrust said:
Hi sequitur,

Good reply.... but the suspicous wouldn't be aroused if he's meddling his cam on the surface, and not in the pool (std pool and not children's pool). Next, I ruled out his intentions to have some shots of his "kids", b'cos there isn't any kids at that moment.

The concern here is whether is/are there any controls about bringing underwater or normal cam into swimming pool, inclusive those private clubs, condos, etc.

I think we have enough of PERVERT on this planet earth who've created a hobby of UPSKIRT and DOWNBLOUSE, maybe UNDERWATER SPREAD, in the near future.............

Cheers!

Hi Rotorthrust;

I'm quite sure all of us here appreciate you giving us a heads up on the likelihood that someone might be out there in public pools (or otherwise) snapping not so decent shots of people swimming etc etc, thank you for sharing yoru concern. :)

As for the issue concerning the legality of his behavior, maybe you can simply highlight his actions to the guards at the pool? From there, depending on the rules of the pool, the person might be asked to leave, or keep his camera or the pool's management might call in the authorities. It would depend on what kind of rules are in place and what is tolerated by the operators of the pool.

Hope this helps in some ways.

Cheers. :)

Hi wolfgang,

Thanks for your advises.

Any other comments before we close this thread?

Cheers!

rotorthrust said:
Hi wolfgang,

Thanks for your advises.

Any other comments before we close this thread?

Cheers!

It's only a problem if someone complains. A few years back, a guy was arrested at a public pool for taking underwater shots of some women. The women saw him and reported him to the lifeguard. The charge was outrage of modesty. Don't know what sentence he got though.

chriszzz,

Thanks for the info.... if that's the case, then there is in fact a law to it. It's denfinitely an infringment of ppls' privacy.

Hope this thread can heighten the situational awareness of pool users, and the interest to protect your love ones (g/f, wife, daughter(s)......) from being one of the victim.

Many thanks and Cheers!

i suppose in general, u can take any picture of anything u want.

Exceptions:
ur not in a public area, ie, in a building, shopping centre, swimming pool, they management has the right to bar photography. So if ur on someone's property, they can kick u out.

Outrage of modesty, again very broad.... but general street photography ok, there is no copyright over ur face, they can't threaten u, ask for ur film, say cannot take photo of them.

Protected Places (govt has the right to bar photography of sensitive areas, this includes buildings, military places, railroads, harbours, their pet goat, anything they deem a security issue, the law is written very broadly, anything they issue under law gazette can be barred)

Though i'm sure there's something under intrusion of privacy... but i'm not sure.

That's what I think.......... just when I was living in Australia and brought my kids to a shopping centre. While my kids were watching some kid's show, a press photographer approached and asked for my permission before taking a candid-shot of my kids for the newspaper (The Chronicle newspaper).

Of cos, as a press journalist, he knows the book, but for others, they might not.

Whatever the case is, right now, for at least I know what's right and wrong, what to do and what not to do......

Ppls, pls pardon me for being ignorant. Posted this thread out of interest and cursiousity.

Cheers!

Since i have taken Shots underwater in a public pool before, i will contribute what ever i may know about shooting in public pools.....

in my situation, before the shoot, the company(events organizing company) had to apply for a permission for a photographer to shoot in the public pool.

After the permission was granted, there was a official of the pool who accompanied me and the "model/models" to a corner of the pool where i photographed for a bout half an hour. Since i was "allocated" to a corner of the pool, i was not able to shoot any of the people that was in the pool. Furthermore, the official was very strict as to not even allow me to turn my camera to where people were.

My field of view is only the corner of the pool, facing the corner of the rectangular pool, even when i have finished, i had to pass my cam to the official.

cheers.

Hi all,

After through all the replies, I reckon that we've had a very fruitful discussions here and will definitely understand the implications of using a camera in a public pool and places.

If there are more comments, maybe we should keep this thread open, until the BEST reply post, else, moderator should close this thread and save some precious space.

Cheers!

i'm only aware that there are strict indecency issues if you bring the cam into the changing rooms.

but i believe it's ok using a cam in the pool area as it is still a public area, what you see with the cam is what you see with the naked eye.

chriszzz said:
It's only a problem if someone complains. A few years back, a guy was arrested at a public pool for taking underwater shots of some women. The women saw him and reported him to the lifeguard. The charge was outrage of modesty. Don't know what sentence he got though.
yes, correct, as in any public area, if an activity is deemed indecent, or a nuisance or disturbs the peace, and someone complains, that act becomes punishable.

just like you can sing in public, but if you sing under someone's block at night while they're trying to sleep, you can be arrested for disturbing the peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.