Camera in dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Hi,

We all know that in Singapore, we need a dry box/cabinet to store our precious lenses/camera when they are not in use.

It is especially so for the lenses, I just want to check how about camera body? If we do not put it in the cry box/cabinet, will there be any serious problems like what we have in lenses such as fungus.

So, is it critical to put the camera body in a dry box/cabinet too?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Regards
CM

Hi,

It is especially so for the lenses, I just want to check how about camera body? If we do not put it in the cry box/cabinet, will there be any serious problems like what we have in lenses such as fungus.

IMHO, I think it is critical even for cam body. I think it's because water has a high affinity for glass surfaces, so moisture easily gathers or condenses on glass. There are glass parts (mirror, pentaprism, etc) in an SLR, which means moisture can condense there and fungus can grow...

Hi,

We all know that in Singapore, we need a dry box/cabinet to store our precious lenses/camera when they are not in use.

Regards
CM

I'd put any photography equipment with optics in a dry cabinet i.e. in goes the camera body.

Hi,

Regards
CM
As already mentioned by xxccxx, camera body have pentaprism, mirror, sensor that put on optic category.

Also, electronics and mechanism inside camera will serve you longer if well keep, such as put on dry cab. I put my flash light, handycam, precious record, negative film in dry cab too.

Regards,
Arto.

don't want to hijack this thread but what is the setting that it should be on. RH that is. i can't seem to get my Rh value to anything above 55.
your thoughts appreciated.

Actually I'm curious also on the level of importance in putting the cams in a dry box. I never practice it and so far no fungus eh. I also have PnS cams just lying on normal cabinet for so many years with no fungus.

don't want to hijack this thread but what is the setting that it should be on. RH that is. i can't seem to get my Rh value to anything above 55.
your thoughts appreciated.

It is normally set between 45-55%. I have mine ard the 48%-50% range.

Actually I'm curious also on the level of importance in putting the cams in a dry box. I never practice it and so far no fungus eh. I also have PnS cams just lying on normal cabinet for so many years with no fungus.

If you use it often, then dun have to worry about fungus growth.
For the most of us, since the cam costs so much and have space in the dry cabinet, why not? Better safe than sorry. :sweat:

But, once your camera have fungus, it will cost you to clean and the camera will not deliver same quality as before after cleaning.

Regards,
Arto.

juz a qn to the ts..

y would u risk it?

fungus will grow anywhere as long as it's warm enough and humid... it's true.. if we use the cam often the constant movement of the shutter and the other parts will not allow the fungal spores to settle and grow... but it's not foolproof..

i'd take the safe route and put the camera in the dry cabinet... placing ur cam in the box is just a tiny extra step to do after ur shoots.. if u're going to place the lenses in the box, just do the same with ur cam on the way....

cameras are expensive... pls take care of them.. don't wait till it's too late.. then u really heartache...

juz a qn to the ts..

placing ur cam in the box is just a tiny extra step to do after ur shoots.. if u're going to place the lenses in the box, just do the same with ur cam on the way....

cameras are expensive... pls take care of them.. don't wait till it's too late.. then u really heartache...

I won't even call it an extra step. It's a necessary step for us to store the cam somewhere, the question is where. U'll need to open a drawer and put it in, open a cabinet and put it in, etc, etc. :bsmilie: Use dry cabinet simply to protect, like what Adelfin said, an expensive item. So not even troublesome at all to me. :thumbsup:

Dun forget that if u leave it on the table, u risk someone or yourself knocking the cam over onto the floor! :bheart:

Mine is at 47% to 52%. I think it works better than silica which i use to do. Now it's much simplier and peace of mind using dry cabinate.

My dry cabinet always below 30%... Is this too low? Or is there such a thing as too low in the first place?

My dry cabinet always below 30%... Is this too low? Or is there such a thing as too low in the first place?

yeah there is... going too low can destroy certain materials... like if u put ur camera strap in the dry cabinet with your camera.. it could dry up and crack... that will undermine it's strength and durability..

most people recommend for the dry cabinets to be set around 40-45% (some say 35% or even 50%).. this would be ideal for elimination fungal growth, but with enough humidity to keep your items in good condition...
take note this recommendation is for cameras.. i heard of people who put leather and other materials in the same dry cabinet -- it is not recommended.. different materials need different amounts of moisture.. so do ur research in case u over-dehydrate ur items...

Thanks, adelfin. I have been chucking in all sorts of stuff into my dry cabinet (e.g. leather cases for the cam & flash etc). Guess, I have to tweak the humidity tonight.

Thanks, adelfin. I have been chucking in all sorts of stuff into my dry cabinet (e.g. leather cases for the cam & flash etc). Guess, I have to tweak the humidity tonight.

be prepared to continue to fine tune it for about a week till it stabalizes

Next question:
How about those sellers who didn't have dry cabinet ? (example at Funan, Sin lim, etc).
Will all of their cameras, lenses be affected ? they didn't put their camera in.

Can we assume that under normal air cond, the %RH is around recommended level ?
--> In my room after I turn ON my AC around 3 hrs, %RH is still high (around 65%)

yeah there is... going too low can destroy certain materials... like if u put ur camera strap in the dry cabinet with your camera.. it could dry up and crack... that will undermine it's strength and durability..

most people recommend for the dry cabinets to be set around 40-45% (some say 35% or even 50%).. this would be ideal for elimination fungal growth, but with enough humidity to keep your items in good condition...
take note this recommendation is for cameras.. i heard of people who put leather and other materials in the same dry cabinet -- it is not recommended.. different materials need different amounts of moisture.. so do ur research in case u over-dehydrate ur items...

I more concern about ESD. Lower % RH will increse higher zap (ESD) so what happen
if it does induce/zap your camera circuit ? than .... ? :( ... --> :cry: :cry: :cry: (spend $)

I more concern about ESD. Lower % RH will increse higher zap (ESD) so what happen
if it does induce/zap your camera circuit ? than .... ? :( ... --> :cry: :cry: :cry: (spend $)

I found an article here saying that "...Most static electricity is caused at a relative humidity of between 30 and 35%...."

so i guess if we maintain the RH% in our dry cab to around 45-50%, there should be little or no risk of static electricity generating. :)

Just to share with all.

Quite many years ago when digital was not available yet, I sent a roll of film to be developed. The negatives were all black, meaning that the whole thing was over-exposed. I sent my camera in to Canon and it was found that the seals that prevent light from going into the camera body was spoilt. I was advised to keep my camera in a dry cabinet as our climate is too humid and hot. I didn't have a dry cabinet at that time.

To the TS: it is best to keep all cameras and camera equipment in a dry cabinet. Of course, the humidity setting must be at a proper level as has been mentioned by others here.

Status
Not open for further replies.