Camera in car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photohobby

Jun 14, 2007
Hi

Just want to ask, if i were to leave my camera in the car will the heat spoils the camera? My car usually park under the sun in an open car park and the temperature can sometimes be a high as 40+ or more degree bah ...

10Q

generally electronic devices not supposed to put la...
But if it is a cheap compact camera, i might..
DSLR abit to expensive, cannot bear the heart-break hahas

If you're talking of prolonged exposure baking in the car, then don't. Why invite theft and the high possibility of ruining your camera?

Hi

Just want to ask, if i were to leave my camera in the car will the heat spoils the camera? My car usually park under the sun in an open car park and the temperature can sometimes be a high as 40+ or more degree bah ...

10Q

hi Photohobby, I am an electronics engineer by profession. I have to say that all electronic components does have a range of operating temperature. If you exceed the range of operation, then components will breakdown. All cameras will spec their range of temperature in the user manual clearly.

Even if the camera does not spoil after putting in the car, the electronic components inside the camera will be subjected to intensive temperature stresses. If immediately power up when camera is hot, that will be the worst case. Even if you do not power up the camera, the life span of the camera will definately reduce drastically.

As a general calculation, 48hours of continuous high temperature is equal to 1 years of normal operation.

Therefore, if you leave your camera inside the car under hot sun, eventually the camera will breakdown or mulfunction faster than others.

Hi

10Q

Your camera is a sensitive piece of hardware composing of electronical components, image sensors..etc. Though your car might have electronical stuff in it like smart boards to control your car, car's ride behavour and even your music/video player..but all this stuff were long before hand expect to survive in those kind of heat situation. They have been built to survive this kind of assualt day in day out.

Putting your camera in your car for a day, cooking in that kind of tempearture and with no air movementm I guess 'might' not cause harm but you do this everyday, what problem would come of it depends on the type of camera you bought...I am sure even a Nikon D2X would spoil over time. Though being in a bag, it might have some protection from the heat but sooner or later the heat will start to conduct into the interior of the bad.

Taking hard knocks is one thing but drastic change in temperature..etc. I really have to wonder how much torture it can take leh. For your info....I actually know someone whoes camera was damaged. My boss...always like to put things in place he should not. Well his Point n Shoot camera from vivitar is spoilt, there is some image fogging or something on the same spot for whatever he shoots with it. Had to bring it to the shop to get it repair...warranty was void once they did a check, heat has damage the image sensor permanently. Scratch one PnS camera...time to buy a new one.

heat + lenses and/or camera bodies = disaster! :sweat:
A definate :nono: for the most of us here.

I'm sure that the operating conditions with respect to temperature is mentioned in the manual.

Thank you everyone above.. better listen to advise and not having the camera in the car for long term.

CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.