Camera Image Size

What image settings will you use on your camera when doing model photo shoot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeckson Chow

Mar 1, 2005
Currently in Singapore
Hi guys, just wanna get some feedback from you professionals. When you do a photo shoot for models, what image size do you people normally use? I am going to do a shoot with models this weekend but I do not know what image size shall I set on my camera.

Any advice?

i always shoot at the largest size available and 'fine' quality setting for jpeg ... haven't tried RAW so can't advice on that, but some will prefer to do model shoot in RAW, especially in studio.

ADD: the megapixels differs with cameras, so that should be excluded from the poll if possible

ADD: and oh ... yah, i am not a professional btw

eikin said:
i always shoot at the largest size available and 'fine' quality setting for jpeg ... haven't tried RAW so can't advice on that, but some will prefer to do model shoot in RAW, especially in studio.

But wouldn't it make your picture size very big and not easily manageable?

Zeckson Chow said:
But wouldn't it make your picture size very big and not easily manageable?

what do you mean by 'not easily manageable'?

I prefer to shoot RAW - but that's just me. Each file for me is about 8MP.

Like Eikin, I'm not quite sure what you mean by not easily manageable? Because the file sizes become too big? :confused:

Oh, sorry, what I meant by not manageable is that the file size is so big, when we have quite a number of pictures in our camera and wanted to transfer it to our computer, or when we want to move the pictures around, it would take some time to do lor.

Because when we shoot, I am quite sure that we do not just shoot a few pictures mah. We will tend to shoot a bit more. So when this number becomes big, moving these files will be slow or perhaps difficult lor.

No 1, I'm not professional, but still will try to answer your question.

I would definitely shoot at max res, max filesize on the D70 - ie RAW (6MP) or L Fine (6MP).

Regarding your worry about huge amount of images, moving images around is nothing to be concerned about. You prefer to have better quality image files or files that are small but with lousy quality?

When you shoot JPEG, the image is already compressed and data loss.

Basic: 1:16
Normal: 1:8
Fine: 1:4
RAW/TIFF: 1:1

That's why when you convert from RAW -> JPEG/TIFF, the file size is larger than shooting JPEG direct as you control the resulting compression.

Well, to me, at least storage shouldn't be a headache, getting your shots done the way you want, is.

Cheers.

Zeckson Chow said:
Oh, sorry, what I meant by not manageable is that the file size is so big, when we have quite a number of pictures in our camera and wanted to transfer it to our computer, or when we want to move the pictures around, it would take some time to do lor.

Because when we shoot, I am quite sure that we do not just shoot a few pictures mah. We will tend to shoot a bit more. So when this number becomes big, moving these files will be slow or perhaps difficult lor.

Part and parcel of digital photography lor...just a bit of patience :D

Zeckson Chow said:

it's part of the workflow, don't you want your images to be of the highest quality?

why bother using a good cam with high res settings and yet take ur pics in basic res and end up regretting ur res not clear enough and all?

i almost can't see any situation i would use low quality jpg, even on a normal p&s, unless i can't even afford to buy a decent sized memory card... :bsmilie:

~Arcanic~ said:
why bother using a good cam with high res settings and yet take ur pics in basic res and end up regretting ur res not clear enough and all?

i almost can't see any situation i would use low quality jpg, even on a normal p&s, unless i can't even afford to buy a decent sized memory card... :bsmilie:

Good point you have there, bro Arcanic. :)

Shoot in the highest possible resolution in Jpeg/Fine.

Learnt my lesson 3 years ago when I was in Italy. Brought only a 2MP CoolPix, yet I still shot in 640x480, instead of 1600x1200. In the end, all 1500+ pix cannot print, hehe... Luckily got 2 rolls of B&W prints.

shoot in raw. better control and editing in CS.

I always shot one level below Raw... eg Large extra fine JPG for my case... ;)

wat is d image dimensions?

I may need to explore RAW a bit later because I scared I screwed up. I can try shooting in JPEG, Fine - Large format but I can only shoot about 270 pictures using this format.

I do not know much about post processing, still learing. I heard that Photoshop or Image Ready cannot read NEF files? Need to patch it or something, I cannot be sure.

i'm not too sure about this, dun quote me on it...
but when u buy ur D70, there should be a software that comes along with it to process ur NEF/RAW files into jpg etc right...?

try digging up ur manual and box, it should be included, at least for my canon it comes along together...

I found out that when you edit in PS, you should not save as JPG unless it is the final one. Its okay to take the image as a JPG but once edited, you should save it as PSD/TIFF unless you do not intend to edit it further.
Each time you save as JPG, the compression algorithmn is repeated and quality degrades. Something to lookout for in your workflow.
But this could potentially end up in large PSD/TIFF files. That's what a DVD burner is for I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.