Camera holding techniques by Joe McNally

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewtansj

Jul 26, 2007
Singapore
came across this video of pro photographer Joe McNally demonstrating camera holding techniques. tried the technique and did a few test shots to compare in low light. works quite well for me... so thought it might be helpful for anyone facing camera shake problems. some might already know this technique though... hope it helps...;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk&feature=related

very nice :)

i'm the left-eye-focusing type.. will try that out soon.. thanks :)

Great for the left eye people but its a little bit off for the right eyers like me. Personally for those that have gone through your NS and have gone basic range training, alot of the techniques for holding a rifle steady can be applied to holding cameras. Tuck in your arms, breathing and squeezing the trigger instead of snapping it. Same principles, applied differently.

Thank you!

think the draw back is that the method cannot be used in landscape orientation... :) anyone have any tips on portrait orientation grip?

Interesting! It's kinda grotesque wrapping your arms all over, but I tried it - it works! :thumbsup:

hmm is a bit low on my 450D without grip....

It's about as good to me as holding it normally but tucking your left elbow into your side chest, but not supremely better. But, it IS useful if you shoot with both eyes open. So if I'm shooting and I need to keep a lookout on what's going on on my left, I shoot normally with my right eye (and tucked-in elbow) so my left eye's free to check things out there. If it's the other way around, this technique is awesome -- it leaves your right eye free to scope anything going on in the right hemisphere.

Haiku

thx to TS for this post!

Mcnally's techniques are definately something i haven't seen b4, but they damn well work!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks. It's helpful.

glad that it is helpful to all, yeh... probably needs to have vert. grip to work better... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.