Camera gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravolove

Apr 11, 2007
Hi everyone,

Well, while you are backpacking, you are alrdy loaded with huge backpack.

Therefore I was wondering, what kind of bags are you using to house your precious camera gears and remain mobile at the same time?

cheers

When i travel overseas

domke is my fav choice

for a light pack with my domke F3-X

i have kits for film and digital

for film : Leica M3 , 50mm f/2 and 90mm f/2.8 and about 3 extra rolls of fuji velvia with one roll in the body

for digital : D70s with a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 with one 16GB norm speed say (10 mbps write speed) will suffice

for film can afford to have 2 lens as leica lens are compact

but for nikon, as the 18-200 is rather big

so one is enought alr, and it is mounted onto the body

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Well, while you are backpacking, you are alrdy loaded with huge backpack.

Therefore I was wondering, what kind of bags are you using to house your precious camera gears and remain mobile at the same time?

cheers

i will use billingham hadley pro, i like it so much that if on budget airline, i will bother to stuff it into a carryall (thereby wasting a lot of space) and then take it out to use later on.

travel time, best not to carry too much unless you happen to have a car, you will end up cursing and swearing when you have a backache and your trip will be spoilt.

my usual equipment in the bag, there are 2 variations:

1) without ir body
- k20d with sigma 10-20 mounted
- tamron 70-300
- 2 or 3 prime lenses, sometimes 50mm, sometimes 28mm
- 10-17 fisheye

yes, it can fit in

2) with ir body
- k20d with sigma 10-20 mounted
- k100d with pentax 18-55 kit lens mounted
- 10-17 fisheye + tamron 70-300 (stacked)

i think anything more, you will feel so pain when you walk around..

i leave all the barang barang like what photo storage (vosonic) in hotel/hostel, don't care..

I'm not so strong and i have old injuries on my shoulders so i will prefer a backpack for holidays. :)

Backpack

Pros : It distribute the weight on your shoulders evenly.

Cons: you have to remove your backpack in order to retrieve your stuff unless you own a kata 3n1 series.

Shoulder bag

Pros: makes it difficult for snatch thieves to grab your bag and run.

Cons : *ouch* *ouch* achy shoulders and thieves on motorcycles will drag you along when they snatch your bag!

Big fan of the Fastpack series for travel. Good weight distribution of a backpack and the quick access of a shoulder bag.

Alternatively, a Urban Disguise with the harness is also good. Combines the practicality of both plus it doesn't really scream camera bag.

I believe the Kata Sensitivity is the ultimate for checking in bags if you carry a laptop. Everything is easily accessible, and the laptop compartment fits most 12" laptops, and can store your camera gear safely with ample protection. When I hit the ground and check in, I change to a good shoulder bag from Neunpro.

i used to carry a Crumpler 7 Mil for a DSLRw/ grip with 2-3 lens, and I usually had problem with the weight on my shoulder after 2 days.

Recently, on my 3 weeks travel trip.....I was using a LoewePro Slingshot200...and simply love it!
I can swing it from the back to the front in less than a second, and swop lens easily with the zip opened.

Dont know how to explain, but you should go over to some shop and try it out.

If I am on a driving holiday, I will carry my small Crumpler Stamp Claimer, which is just nice for the Nikon D80 and 18-200mm

In my recent 55km hike to Milford Sound, every gram matters, so I used a simple old weatherproof Lowe sling bag, and placed it in my main Osprey Aura 65 backpack.

Last edited:
hi petetherock,

roughly how big is the crumpler postman?

Sorry got the name wrong:
Its an old model - Crumpler Stamp Claimer:

200899588.jpg

72fa_1.JPG

Dont worry too much about your huge backpack. Most of the time it will be in the hotel instead of on your back. Just bring whatever camera bag you use in sg. You should have no problem with it.
The only time i had my backpack with me is when i'm on the move (taking a train/bus to another location and on my way to the hotel).

Usually is my Lowepro backpack.

Two different set of equipment i can think of when i travel.

On the heavy side but more versatile.
  • 24-70mm
  • 70-200mm
  • 50mm

Featherweight but need to frequently change lenses.
  • 24mm
  • 50mm
  • 90mm

Not forgetting my camera, tripod, flashlight, CF cards, remote trigger. cleaning kits and polariser.

I use a Lowepro toploader and put it into my day pack, a Nikon D90 and 18-200mm with a Dawntech di-GPS mini IIs.

Backup camera is a Panasonic LX3 with a Jobo photoGPS.

Why did I choose a Lowepro toploader, I can sling it and also use it as a chestrig.

I've geotagged my photos after coming back home from vacations and had no idea where the photos were taken.

Last edited:
I use the Lowepro Slingshot 300AW, very easy way to access your camera without removing the backpack.

For the day pack, I use a Crumpler 5million dollar home.

Depends on where I'm going.... and how much gears I'm bring.

Most time it would be my Lowepro Flipside 400 AW.

Lots of gear = Tamrac Expedition 7.

Without my EF-S 17-55mm & EF 70-200mm = Slingshot 200 AW

:thumbsup:

I have the Tamrac Expedition 8. It is big, used to bring gear from one city to another.

However, when stationed at a city, you'd want a bag that's light and unnoticeable.

Best would be to bring a wide 12-24, a tele 70200 and walk around with a 50 mounted.

I'd use a gorilla pod wherever I go unless I've got a car and I'm taking landscape then the tripod follows.

I have the Tamrac Expedition 8. It is big, used to bring gear from one city to another.

However, when stationed at a city, you'd want a bag that's light and unnoticeable.

Best would be to bring a wide 12-24, a tele 70200 and walk around with a 50 mounted.

I'd use a gorilla pod wherever I go unless I've got a car and I'm taking landscape then the tripod follows.

Is the gorillapod very useful? I am considering if It's a worthy investment for travels too.

Also, I liked to know, those carrying backpack around, wouldnt it be very troublesome to load/unload your camera/lenses as you move around. I have since switched to carrying a backpack to throw my misc stuff and a 190AW for my photography equips

When traveling, it can mount onto any weird railings or placed on the table.

More for self portraits. You want to show that you've actually BEEN there.

Oh and you bring the big bag, dump it @ hotel room, take the lenses you may want to use and head out with a small pack.

Though I'm taking like 4 lenses, at the most, I'll be having 2 when I'm on the streets.

Most importantly is the travel wire. Wire loop around all your stuffs and then lock it.

Oh and you bring the big bag, dump it @ hotel room, take the lenses you may want to use and head out with a small pack.

Though I'm taking like 4 lenses, at the most, I'll be having 2 when I'm on the streets.

Most importantly is the travel wire. Wire loop around all your stuffs and then lock it.

May I know what this travel wire is? I tried googling but nothing on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.