Camera ganna seawater what to do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
Today went to shoot the Merlion, it was spilling seawater and once you walk past, sure ganna. Immediately noticed my lens full of splash droplets. Whenever pass by that spot I got it. :confused:

Wipe the lens glass a few times, later I realised, the rest of the camera and lens body also ganna, got droplets everywhere. :eek: :(

Should I be concerned? What should I do to clean it? Damp cloth to wipe? Its a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens.

Please help. :embrass:

hi , dont worry too much as long it wipe off dry , and store in dry cabi after use .

side track abit here think most of us here ganna till dun wan to ganna liao :bsmilie:

happy shooting & worry less :)

Thanx, I only scare rust at the areas I cannot see. I know how destructive seawater can be to metal parts and electronics.

Thanx, I only scare rust at the areas I cannot see. I know how destructive seawater can be to metal parts and electronics.

u can't be more right... seawater is DSLR ultimate nightmare. dont go anywhere near it unless u realli need to. preserve ur DSLRs. Its a lot more destructive than it seems. :D

Doesn't have to be when seawater gets onto your equipment then u start to clean it. Even when u're near the sea area, u should also do the same as the sea breeze also does similar damage.

Doesn't have to be when seawater gets onto your equipment then u start to clean it. Even when u're near the sea area, u should also do the same as the sea breeze also does similar damage.

Yup. It is a good practice to wipe down the camera when returning from a seaside using a damp cloth.

Actually, general cleaning would do.
We only have to worry if our cameras are left in places near seasides and exposed to constant seabreeze... else, the occasional shoots at seaside is fine as long as we clean up once we get home. =)

Wipe down with a damp cloth on the exterior body...

And be careful with the lens area... if there is salt crystals, wiping with a cloth may scratch the lens surface. Best to blow it first then dab slowly with the damp cloth before wiping clean with dry cloth...

Thanx to all the replies guys!

Wipe down with a damp cloth on the exterior body...

And be careful with the lens area... if there is salt crystals, wiping with a cloth may scratch the lens surface. Best to blow it first then dab slowly with the damp cloth before wiping clean with dry cloth...

Heng heng got use UV filter...

At the starbucks kopitiam near the merlion I used lens tissue to clean up the seawater splash on the lens. I did not blow the lens first. :eek: Will it affect anything?

Back home I did as advised wipe the camera with a lightly damped cloth. Then for the lens I used lens tissue wet with tapwater to wipe once, dry wipe with a new lens tissue, then repeat again but this time with lens cleaning alcohol, should be ok right?

:think:

Heng heng got use UV filter...

At the starbucks kopitiam near the merlion I used lens tissue to clean up the seawater splash on the lens. I did not blow the lens first. :eek: Will it affect anything?

Back home I did as advised wipe the camera with a lightly damped cloth. Then for the lens I used lens tissue wet with tapwater to wipe once, dry wipe with a new lens tissue, then repeat again but this time with lens cleaning alcohol, should be ok right?

:think:

Should be fine, unless there were already dried salt crystals, and you wiped hard.

Just curious, after the damped cloth / tissue / dry, why use cleaning alcohol, and what sort of alcohol did you use?

Should be fine, unless there were already dried salt crystals, and you wiped hard.

Just curious, after the damped cloth / tissue / dry, why use cleaning alcohol, and what sort of alcohol did you use?

Just the normal lens cleaning alcohol that was included in those free cleaning kits you get when buying the camera.

I use it because tap water leaves stains on the lens somehow, so I did the usual lens cleaning routine with the alcohol.

anyway, after go near sea, cfm ur cam like sticky sticky one lor.. u can tahan meh? juz make it a habit to wipe it down as others have mentioned above...

lens... if got filter, i usually wash under tap, dap to dry wif tissue, then use lenspen.. no prob...

is it advisable to use a hairdryer to blow dry?

I suppose you are serious. My answer is a definite NO. Dry it with a cloth and don't use a hairdryer.

Just the normal lens cleaning alcohol that was included in those free cleaning kits you get when buying the camera.

I use it because tap water leaves stains on the lens somehow, so I did the usual lens cleaning routine with the alcohol.
I would not use any alcohol on my lenses. Alcohol may damage the lens coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.