Camera for travelling under $1k

vballguy

Jan 3, 2013
Singapore
Hi. I've been using the Nikin D5100 for quite sometime and after a while I find it quite a weight to carry a DSLR around especially on holidays. So I'm planning to get another camera for travelling purpose and I would like some recommendations on which one I should get. I'm looking for overall ease of use and easy changing of shooting modes (aperture priority etc.)

My picks which are under $1k: Sony RX100, NEX5N, Nikon V1, Olympus XZ-1

Recommendations of other cameras will be greatly appreciated as well.
Thank you!

Hi. I've been using the Nikin D5100 for quite sometime and after a while I find it quite a weight to carry a DSLR around especially on holidays. So I'm planning to get another camera for travelling purpose and I would like some recommendations on which one I should get. I'm looking for overall ease of use and easy changing of shooting modes (aperture priority etc.)

Thank you!

Do note that the rx100 is a compact camera. All others are mirrorless cameras. The nex has the biggest sensor and also the best image quality. The rx100 is the most convenient.

Thank you!

These are all very good cameras in their own class.

It depends on if you need to interchange lenses. if yes, go with the nex5n. if not, go with the rx100

Do note that the rx100 is a compact camera. All others are mirrorless cameras. The nex has the biggest sensor and also the best image quality. The rx100 is the most convenient.

xz-1 also compact.. i agree the nex5n has biggest sensor and best image quality, but its not so compact IMO. in fact once he considers mirrorless, its hardly compact.

i would suggest the xz-1, xz-2, canon s100/s110. these have aperture as big as F1.8 (think canon is F2), decent zoom, decent battery life, decent IQ and compromise for size.
if u looking for something to shove into the pocket, the canon and probably the RX100 is the way to go. the xz-1 is quite abit bigger and needs larger pockets.

RX100 gets my vote.

canon 500D with kit lens (or 17-40L , 17-55 if you prefer quality). it's almost prosumer size. i can stuff it into my handbag

Thank you!

Taking into consideration of the range of the lenses, and what you actually shoot more during your travel. Some would get past with a mirrorless + kit lenses (for me... OMD + 14-42 and 40-150mm) world others wanted much much more range like 600mm for wildlife shooting... and some need 1:1 magnification factor for macro shots.

So mirrorless camera actually provide you with the most versatility... you can custom whatever lenses you wanted for your travel shot...

Actually you can also look to small mirrorless like Panasonic's offering (GX1, GF-series, etc) and Olympus Pen series of mirrorless cameras. They provide excellent balance of size and weight to quite a big sensor and very very good image quality.

i vote RX100.

canon 500D with kit lens (or 17-40L , 17-55 if you prefer quality). it's almost prosumer size. i can stuff it into my handbag

lol he has d5100 already i doubt he wants a 500D.

Thanks for all the replies people! I've narrowed down to mirrorless range as I can make use of my lens from my nikon if I get a adapter ring.

I've narrowed down to these: NEX5N, Olympus E-PL5, and Fuji x10

Tough choice among these 3!

Thanks for all the replies people! I've narrowed down to mirrorless range as I can make use of my lens from my nikon if I get a adapter ring.

Do note that Fuji x10 is not a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera and you cannot utilise your Nikon lenses. Also NEX5n and EPL5 when using Nikon lenses will not give you the capability to change your aperture (unless you can change your aperture manually - some Nikon lenses had this) and you cannot autofocus with your Nikon lenses. If you want to retain all the capability of your Nikon lenses, you might as well get the V1/ J1 or the newer V2/J2 (note, an adapter is still needed, but at least you still get everything.)

then like that i rather get omd over the epl5. about the same size anyway.

How about a superzoom like panasonic dmc fz200?

Why not Nikon smaller camera? :bsmilie:

why not just get the NEX6.. it comes with the oh so beautiful viewfinder and inbuilt flash! lol! just ABIT more! can try the WTS, few months old with discount. :)

I'd say stick to the D5100.
Shoulder sling your camera (not neck sling).
Reduce the lenses you carry and opt for smaller ones. (eg. 18-55 kit over a 17-50/2.8; limit to 18-55+85/1.8 over a 17-55/2.8+70-200/2.8, etc)

Its a matter of trade-offs.
Smaller sensor cameras are smaller, but IQ is not as good if you need IQ.
Most APS-C MILCs are smaller bodied, but lens is still about the size of DSLR APS-C.

I travel with a K30 with 3 small primes (15mm; 31mm;77mm).
They fit in a small bag that fits any other smaller camera/MILC.
D5100 should not be much bigger/heavier if get your lens selection right.

Since you are in Nikon, why not get the latest compact by Nikon
Nikon launches 16MP DX-format Coolpix A and P330 enthusiast compacts: Digital Photography Review:thumbsup::think:

For me I still prefer my RX-100 as it is small, cute, Zeiss lenses, can shoot raw and has manual mode.
It is small to put in a pocket and light weight enough when travelling with family of kids and old folks and still give quality picture whether night and day. :angel:

Last edited:
Canon S100 (GPS but no WIFI) or S110 (WIFI but no GPS). Small and light. Just point and shoot. Low light capability. Can do Raw.

But seriously, you shoot Raw for holiday record shots? Wow. You can be bothered.

I recommend Canon G15 - can do macro and zoom with good EV