Camera for Subzero Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterkang

Dec 21, 2006
hiya all,

I'm new to this forum and will need all the bro and sis out there to help advise. I heard from someone recently that some camera might not work when visiting countries with subzero temp. Is this true? I am currently shopping for a camera for my forthcoming holiday and would want to buy a camera that can be used under those weather condition. Can anyone help advise me what brand and model is proven to work in subzero temp?

thank you all! ;p

regards & have a joyful merry xmas and happy new year!

dexter

hiya all,

I'm new to this forum and will need all the bro and sis out there to help advise. I heard from someone recently that some camera might not work when visiting countries with subzero temp. Is this true? I am currently shopping for a camera for my forthcoming holiday and would want to buy a camera that can be used under those weather condition. Can anyone help advise me what brand and model is proven to work in subzero temp?

thank you all! ;p

dexter
I am now at Europe, damm cold although not subzero yet but my Canon 350 and olympus C770 work well but the XD card for olympus spoilt.

what a question to ask...every now and then this kind of question will pop up able cold weather...worry about cold weather dun shoot lor...

what a question to ask...every now and then this kind of question will pop up able cold weather...worry about cold weather dun shoot lor...

I feel that if you can't answer his questions don't reply useless answers. Especially when his question is a valid question. Obviously he wants to shoot in sub zero temperatures therefore he's afraid of purchasing a camera that won't work under those circumstances.

For shooting in such cold weather, i don't think it has to do with the camera but more so the batteries. Batteries don't like the cold and sometimes will not work. The trick is to have your camera in your jacket where it is nice an warm and when you want to take a photo take it out and make your shot. If you leave if hanging off your shoulder when you are walking around it will be hit or miss whether the camera will fire. Alternatively have some spare batteries that you keep somewhere warm, if the batteries in the camera don't work swap them out for the ones that you have kept warm in your jacket, prefably next to your body.

With this in mind, I don't think you should worry about which camera to get, just get some spare batteries.

I do not think this is a fair statement to make. The TS might be embarking on a trip where the temperature miight hover around the region of +/- 10 Deg Cel and he just might want to grab pictures of the landscape there for his own keep sake.

Do you think its fair to deny him an answer to an honest question?

While I am not here to debate the merits of your answer, I would suggest you think twice before replying in such an uncalled for manner.

Thank you.

dun worry, just shoot, u wont have any problems.
HOWEVER, there are 2 potential problems that u might face and u might need to take care of.

1) When shooting in cold conditions, the battery life tend to shorten by a certain extend. So, u won't be able to shoot the same number of shots as u are in singapore. DO bring more spare batteries. Its a necessity

2) When u enter into warm interior places from the cold external environment. There is a high likelihood that condensation will occur and vapour occur in ur lens and camera. So to prevent this problem, After u shoot ur pictures, quickly put ur camera back into your camera pouch or bag. Dun let ur camera be exposed to the external environment for too long time as temperature fluctuation is the cause of condensation

I read in the forum that the best backup would be to bring more batteries as the juice drains out pretty fast. Bring along 1-2 backup cards jus in case they decide to give up on you. ;p
Also it can be so cold that the shutter blades froze. Heard it happen before... Eeks...:cry:

I'll be going to Hokkaido in jan 1 next mth and was told that the temp will be from -2 to -9 deg C.
I would look forward to see if my camera can live up to the test.

Merry Christmas...

I have used a Digital P&S, SLR and DSLR in subzero conditions before, and they all worked fine. But as what most others had mentioned, the battery capacity will be reduced in the cold, thus reduced usage from each battery. But sometimes it is possible to revive some of the lost battery juice if you try to warm it up again, even efter your camera show no more juice.

Condensation is another minor thing to note. It occurs when you enter from the cold outside into a warm interior. There is no need to take much special arrangement, just put your camera into your bag before entering, and don't use it immediately inside.

Finally, you will find that your camera operations will be slowed down, ie your zooming speed will be slower than usual if you are using a P&S, or you may find a bit more shutter lag.

Overall, there is nothing too much to worry about. Most of the cameras you see in Singapore are the same ones that are sold in those cold countries, so they will definitely work there. Just remember to bring extra batteries and memory cards and shoot more.:)

Seems like a very valid question to me. Your response is the post that is really uncalled for. :dunno:

As most have mentioned...... battery life and condensation are the main concerns. Camera should work fine. Also, check the manual for the operating temperatures applicable for the model of camera you have.

hiya all,

thanks for all the replies. really appreciate every single pieces of advice offered. it has definitely make me more comfortable about buying a camera without worrying whether the camera will work in those condition.

just to share a little bit on the few phone calls I made yesterday to both canon and olympus head office in singapore.

canon said they cannot guarantee that their camera will work on sub zero temp coz they are built for operating temp of 0 to 40 degrees

olympus said only their "all weather" models can guarantee working in those condition coz this series has a rubber lining that will protect the batt.

well, true or not I don't know but judging from all the kind bros' replies, I think I am more comfortable choosing from the wide range of deals available in the market now.. especially now that they are offering a lot of goodies including free 2nd battery which is very important!! :thumbsup:

once again, thank you all for the advice.. :D

cheers
dexter

One more thing that you can do is to keep your camera inside your coat or bag when not in use. Especially for those P&S camera, you put it inside your coat pocket to keep it warm, and whip it out in an instant to shoot and put it back immediately. At least it helps to lengthen your battery life a liitle bit.

Happy shopping for your new camera, and have fun for your upcoming tour, and don't forget to shoot lots of pictures!

hiya all,

thank you all! ;p

dexter

Early this month I went to Canada and weather was around -5 degree celcius. I was still able to grap some pictures with my camera although the image were not good since my hands shaking very hard due to cold weather and didn't use tripod either ;(
Btw, the same camera still working fine and serves me very well :)

I do not think this is a fair statement to make. The TS might be embarking on a trip where the temperature miight hover around the region of +/- 10 Deg Cel and he just might want to grab pictures of the landscape there for his own keep sake.

Do you think its fair to deny him an answer to an honest question?

While I am not here to debate the merits of your answer, I would suggest you think twice before replying in such an uncalled for manner.

Thank you.

which part did i deny him from an answer to any honest question...

if you feel in anyway that this is denying of an ans...i dare you to deregister me straight away...

which part did i deny him from an answer to any honest question...

your tone was quite rude

"worry about cold weather dun shoot lor..."

not the most friendly of replies. Considering this is the newbie forum, I think that is kind of uncalled for. At least he posted his "newbie" and "repeated" question in the correct forum.

Anyway to the TS, the most impt piece of equipment you MUST have is a pair of gloves that ALLOWS you to operate your camera effective and yet keep your hands warm. I have used the olympus E1 + 14-54 lens at lower than -10 deg C in korea. No problem but it was tough for my hands though. I would expect most camera to work PERFECTLY fine in subzero temperature. Camera manufacturers sell a lot of cameras to temperate climate. It doesn't really make sense to make a camera that doesn't work in the winter months....

your tone was quite rude

"worry about cold weather dun shoot lor..."

not the most friendly of replies. Considering this is the newbie forum, I think that is kind of uncalled for. At least he posted his "newbie" and "repeated" question in the correct forum.

Anyway to the TS, the most impt piece of equipment you MUST have is a pair of gloves that ALLOWS you to operate your camera effective and yet keep your hands warm. I have used the olympus E1 + 14-54 lens at lower than -10 deg C in korea. No problem but it was tough for my hands though. I would expect most camera to work PERFECTLY fine in subzero temperature. Camera manufacturers sell a lot of cameras to temperate climate. It doesn't really make sense to make a camera that doesn't work in the winter months....

then deregister me...

Seems like a very valid question to me. Your response is the post that is really uncalled for. :dunno:

As most have mentioned...... battery life and condensation are the main concerns. Camera should work fine. Also, check the manual for the operating temperatures applicable for the model of camera you have.

then remove me from the forum forever so no such comments will be made again...

Status
Not open for further replies.