Camera for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty07

Oct 14, 2009
hi all. i'm a newbie trying to get more into photography. currently own a normal fujifilm digi cam. wanting to upgrade. would really like to get dslr, but afraid cant get used to it. and also the cost is another hurdle.

so now...came across another type of cameras. not sure wat u guys call them, but some examples r the canon sx series, the g series, fujifilm s2000hd, s200exr...etc etc. looks like they r almost as gd as dslr, but wif cheaper price n easier usage.

so wat r the experts' advise on this?

hi all. i'm a newbie trying to get more into photography. currently own a normal fujifilm digi cam. wanting to upgrade. would really like to get dslr, but afraid cant get used to it. and also the cost is another hurdle.

so now...came across another type of cameras. not sure wat u guys call them, but some examples r the canon sx series, the g series, fujifilm s2000hd, s200exr...etc etc. looks like they r almost as gd as dslr, but wif cheaper price n easier usage.

Hey there, I'm no expert, but I was caught in the same situation as you, but please dont let my decision influence you.

When I was 1st starting to get started into photography, I got a simple canon ixus camera, and after a few months, i wanted more out of my camera, so I bought a Canon SX10 IS, which allowed me to use the manual functions ect.

But I wanted more so I bought a Nikon D60. 1st DSLR. Pretty satisfied with it, until I wanted MORE, cause of the limitations of the D60, and got myself a D80. And stopped there, the D80 pretty much meets my requirements.

So there, it all depends, on whether you want your camera to calculate everything for you, shutter, exposure ect, or would you rather tweak these settings yourself.

BTW, some entry level DSLR's price match those Canon SX series. That is unless you'll buy more lenses or other stuff to go along.

Hello...welcome.

The cameras you have listed are known as bridge or prosumer cameras. These cameras are bigger than the usual compact (PnS - Point & Shoot) cameras and gives better controls like aperture, shutter speed and others. However, personally I would recommend that you go for a DSLR instead as the prosumer cameras will still have problems like shutter lag while DSLRs will need upgrades like better lenses, etc. Having said that, why I recommended a DSLR is also the price. Look at the price of the entry level Sony DSLRs, it's so cheap now and it comes with the kit lens which would be good enough for general use and when you shoot using the Auto mode, you are as good as using a fully auto prosumer cam without the shutter lag and better picture quality due to the bigger sensor size.

any reason why you need a dslr?

If your budget is limited, I suggest you go for a Prosumer Camera.

A good Prosumer Camera can zoom from 30mm to 400mm (35mm equivalent), shoot macro, use Auto and Manual mode.

You do not have to invest in any more expensive lenses.

Know the hidden costs in investing in DSLRs. Its not simply the buy-and-forget thing you usually do with compacts. There are lenses, dry cabs, tripods, filters and maybe flash. These things don't come cheap so sum that up and decide whether DSLR is really suitable for you. No doubt it promises better IQ but prosumer cams does the job as well.

Know the hidden costs in investing in DSLRs. Its not simply the buy-and-forget thing you usually do with compacts. There are lenses, dry cabs, tripods, filters and maybe flash. These things don't come cheap so sum that up and decide whether DSLR is really suitable for you. No doubt it promises better IQ but prosumer cams does the job as well.

It depends on what job you are talking about ;)

But yes you are right. Lens collections usually are several times the price of the camera body. And you have to get filters. It all adds up.

hongkie said:

Like you, I also share the view that DSLR ownership can be an expensive one, because there are a myriad of accessories that one could possibly buy to enhance this and that.

HOWEVER, it certainly is possible to just buy a DSLR kit and nothing else.
It is not fair to mention things like tripods, filters, flashes, because these accessories are also not present on a prosumer. One could just as easily buy these things for a prosumer, and the cost is similar.

Furthermore, I submit that one need not necessarily buy a dry cabinet for the DSLR.
I have an old Pentax film SLR, and the lens is still fungus free after 8 years of use (the last 3 being semi-permanently stored in the cupboard ;) )

As a comparison, the Sony A2__ kit (sorry, forgot the model number) was selling at $699 @ funan. This makes it less than the $800+ RRP of the Canon G10.
This DSLR kit only loses out in terms of zoom range. I think maximum telephoto is greater with the G10.
The DSLR's greater size and heft may or may not be a disadvantage. Depends how you look at it.

Last edited:
Anybody close to you owns a dslr? borrow it for a while(regardless make and model for now) and bring it out for a simple outing shoot. Get the feel and decide if u're up to itf irst before thinking of which model.

As a comparison, the Sony A2__ kit (sorry, forgot the model number) was selling at $699 @ funan. This makes it less than the $800+ RRP of the Canon G10.
This DSLR kit only loses out in terms of zoom range. I think maximum telephoto is greater with the G10.
The DSLR's greater size and heft may or may not be a disadvantage. Depends how you look at it.

The Sony DSLR kit cost the same with the Lumix LX3! :bigeyes:

ok thanks for all your replies. hv done some thinking n decided that i wont get the dslr. not really comfortable wif the price n troublesome-ness in usage. i'm more comfortable using auto functions. but mayb once a while will use manual jus for those special moments. so now...my target has changed. will it b prosumer cams, or those high end digi cams?

i agree dslr will give much better images...but i'm jus a normal user...so, dont tink i'll need pro-like photos.

so now...models i'm looking at are the canon sx n g series, pana lx3 or fuji f200exr.help?

ok thanks for all your replies. hv done some thinking n decided that i wont get the dslr. not really comfortable wif the price n troublesome-ness in usage. i'm more comfortable using auto functions. but mayb once a while will use manual jus for those special moments. so now...my target has changed. will it b prosumer cams, or those high end digi cams?

i agree dslr will give much better images...but i'm jus a normal user...so, dont tink i'll need pro-like photos.

so now...models i'm looking at are the canon sx n g series, pana lx3 or fuji f200exr.help?

Go try out the Pansonic LX3 or the Sony HX/TX-1. I find them pretty cool.

Last edited:
You want to get more into photography and would like to get a dslr but you are not sure.

How about start with a 2nd hand entry level dslr? Cheap, not too heavy, and most come with kit lens good enough for everyday photography.

After shooting thousands of pics, you will know whether you want to go further.

Hey there, I'm no expert, but I was caught in the same situation as you, but please dont let my decision influence you.

When I was 1st starting to get started into photography, I got a simple canon ixus camera, and after a few months, i wanted more out of my camera, so I bought a Canon SX10 IS, which allowed me to use the manual functions ect.

But I wanted more so I bought a Nikon D60. 1st DSLR. Pretty satisfied with it, until I wanted MORE, cause of the limitations of the D60, and got myself a D80. And stopped there, the D80 pretty much meets my requirements.

So there, it all depends, on whether you want your camera to calculate everything for you, shutter, exposure ect, or would you rather tweak these settings yourself.

BTW, some entry level DSLR's price match those Canon SX series. That is unless you'll buy more lenses or other stuff to go along.

i'm in same situation as bro above, started off with simple canon ixus 60, until upgraded to P6000 but in the end went forward to DSLR with an entry level 1000D.

currently happy with my slow upgrades, albeit the higher i go, the more weight i carry around :bsmilie:

shorty07 said:

There's still this misconception that DSLR = pro.
DSLR can also take "normal" pictures, whatever that means. Believe me, I've seen lots and lots of "normal" photos from DSLRs.

If small size is a determining factor, then most certainly a DSLR cannot hope to compete with a PnS.
But comparing an entry-level DSLR with a prosumer (eg. Oly E-4xx series vs Lumix FZ50), the difference is size is not a big deal. Neither can fit into a jeans pocket.

What I feel that the DSLR offers above the the prosumer is much faster speed (start-up, focusing, shutter response, etc), and still superior sharpness, colour tone, reduced noise, etc. Not to mention a much longer battery life.

Hello shorty07 and Ang Pow...Welcome.

I too am no expert. I started off with Nikon F2 and when digital came along, I got a Fuji A303. I guess I enjoyed photography and worry less on which camera is best or which was better. Moved onto Nikon D40 then D60 and now D3. Each one was a joy to use. I loved taking photos of my family and build up a collection of toddlers, kids, adults and goodbyes.

I don't know about expert advice. I suppose it's what you want a camera for. If it's to document your family growing up years then any camera that can take a reasonable picture at the cheapest cost would suffice. However if the aim is to show off your big guns, get the biggest and heaviest and the most expensive money can buy. Believe me, I know that feeling but in the end it is going to be sitting at home cos it is very bulky to lug around. Those with D3 will know what I mean.

looks like a lot of u r really into dslr. my photography needs r pretty basic. taking pics of my kid, family, of the places i go etc. no special needs. so that's y i tot dat i don really need a dslr.as long as the pics i take turn out nice n clear...i'm happy enuf. but also wanna try to take some shots wif the effects...u know, like focus on one subject n blur the rest (watever term u call that..hehe).

so that's y wanna try at least a high end digi cam that is capable of that stuffs.

looks like a lot of u r really into dslr. my photography needs r pretty basic. taking pics of my kid, family, of the places i go etc. no special needs. so that's y i tot dat i don really need a dslr.as long as the pics i take turn out nice n clear...i'm happy enuf. but also wanna try to take some shots wif the effects...u know, like focus on one subject n blur the rest (watever term u call that..hehe).

so that's y wanna try at least a high end digi cam that is capable of that stuffs.

Have to read, shoot a lot of pics and try out the different settings to fully appreciate, get the pics desired to enjoy the DSLR. This is what I learned. From what you have described, maybe a good p&s camera meets your needs better.

lbl2009: yup true...after tinking thru i tink i'll jus settle for a pns or prosumer cam. too troublesome to use dslr. with the equipments, price n all that.

so guys...which pns or prosumer do u guys suggest...which can take shots almost as gd as a dslr...but w/o much hassle?

What you are essentially describing is blurring of the background due to a short depth of field.
This effect is much easier to reproduce on a DSLR, indirectly as a result of its larger sensor.

to have pictures that are "nice and clear" is a bit vague.
If you are the type that likes to capture candid expressions of your kid, then with a PnS, even if you pre-focus, aim, and wait, when the moment comes, it may not be captured by the time you squeeze the trigger. This is the phenomenon of shutter lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.