Camera for Landscape?

zacktan

Apr 20, 2014
Singapore
Hi everyone.

I recently sold my Nikon D3100 with my one and only lens, the 18-55mm kit lens. I want to upgrade to a new camera, and it can be of any brands or even mirrorless camera if it fits my budget.

What i'll probably be doing is Landscapes/Cityscapes, a little bit of street photography too. Being a design student, I might have to take photos of products and record some videos for school projects.

My budget for the camera body is probably not more than S$1300 and the lens for not more than S$600. I already bought a MeFoto tripod and couple of ND filters.

May I ask what suggestions do any of you have?

Personally, I scaled down my choices to a Canon 70D, Nikon D7100 or the Fujifilm XE-2.

I chose the 70D for it's lens, and also the video quality that might come in handy in school projects. However, what I'm unsure of is that whether the 70D will work well in night photography of cityscapes. And also, whether the image quality will be good for my style of photography. (Landscapes/Cityscapes/Street) For the Canon 70D, I scaled down my choice of Lens to the 10-18mm STM lens, and also 50mm f1.8 for the sake of some street photography for it's price. The total cost of the lens will be around $500 and $1300 for the body. Which fits in my bill. What I'm unsure of is just the image quality for landscape/cityscape at night.

I chose the Nikon D7100 mainly for the Image Quality, which many people say is better than the 70D. However, I don't think that S$500 will be sufficient for a UW angle lens + 50mm f1.8 lens.

The Fuji XE-2 is also rather tempting, with it's body price close to the 70D and D7100. However, to my knowledge I too don't think that there is any cheap wide angle lens. And also, the video quality is really bad. But i heard that it's really good for landscape photography.

I would love to know your choices if you was in my shoes, and would love to get any suggestions for what to get. Also, if there is any camera + lens that fits in my bill and is better than any of my choices, I would be more than glad to hear or try it out. Thank you all for your time.

*would love to get full frame but it's not in my budget yet as I am still a poly year 1 student.*

THANK YOU! :)

If you don't mind getting your stuff second hand, I'm pretty sure the Nikon system can fit your budget. Something like a D7100 with a Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16 and a Nikon 50/1.8D should do fine. You can even save some money by going for a D7000 instead of a D7100, and use the extra cash for better/more lenses

If video is really important, then I think the Canon system is the way to go, particularly if you install Magic Lantern on it. If you're just shooting video at a basic level (press record and let the camera do its thing), then all systems should do fine.

If you're already used to the Nikon system and find nothing wrong with it, I suggest you stick to it. Switching systems require you to re-learn your stuff, and Canon has a weird habit of switching their buttons here and there between camera iterations for no good reason (also, they tend to continuously cripple their lower end cameras). I haven't used the Fuji system, but I've heard a lot of good reviews on it.

If you don't mind getting your stuff second hand, I'm pretty sure the Nikon system can fit your budget. Something like a D7100 with a Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16 and a Nikon 50/1.8D should do fine. You can even save some money by going for a D7000 instead of a D7100, and use the extra cash for better/more lenses

If video is really important, then I think the Canon system is the way to go, particularly if you install Magic Lantern on it. If you're just shooting video at a basic level (press record and let the camera do its thing), then all systems should do fine.

If you're already used to the Nikon system and find nothing wrong with it, I suggest you stick to it. Switching systems require you to re-learn your stuff, and Canon has a weird habit of switching their buttons here and there between camera iterations for no good reason (also, they tend to continuously cripple their lower end cameras). I haven't used the Fuji system, but I've heard a lot of good reviews on it.

Thank you for your reply! Actually I do mind getting my stuff second hand. Got my D3100 second hand 2 years ago and it was all well when I checked but it soon malfunctioned and after checking it out at a store, I found out that the owner had already repaired it. Therefore I sold that camera to my friend as a spare camera at a really cheap price after repairing it.

However, I have also used 650D before, just for a week so I'm kind of used to both Canon/Nikon systems and that wouldn't be a problem.
To be specific, what I really need is a camera that can handle videos well and yet take good pictures for nightscapes. Should I still get a Nikon? Thank you for your reply!

What "pictures of nightscapes" do you have in mind? High ISO to capture moving people or pictures of the city skyline and buildings? The latter one requires a tripod and long exposure at low ISO. Every camera can do that, as long as you make the right settings and use the right time ('blue hour'). The high dynamic range of the city at night cannot be captured in a single shot, that would require exposure bracketing and blending (a.k.a HDR).
For high ISO results you can compare at the various online review sites, e.g. www.dpreview.com

Last edited:
Haha, I'm facing the same issue as TS too. Deciding between the D750 or the Sony a7 though. :dunno:

Last edited:
Haha, I'm facing the same issue as TS too. Deciding between the D750 or the Sony a7 though. :dunno:
Since equipment has only about 20% in the final result you should not waste too much time and efforts on this part.

Wah you cant go too far wrong with either. But better to read up more especially to wait for the review for d750.

Since equipment has only about 20% in the final result you should not waste too much time and efforts on this part.

the a7 doesn't have native UWA, that's my major concern for now. The only option would be the SEL1018 :(

Wah you cant go too far wrong with either. But better to read up more especially to wait for the review for d750.

yeah, probably getting either one by the end of the year. My current Nikon is going crazy :(

What "pictures of nightscapes" do you have in mind? High ISO to capture moving people or pictures of the city skyline and buildings? The latter one requires a tripod and long exposure at low ISO. Every camera can do that, as long as you make the right settings and use the right time ('blue hour'). The high dynamic range of the city at night cannot be captured in a single shot, that would require exposure bracketing and blending (a.k.a HDR).
For high ISO results you can compare at the various online review sites, e.g. www.dpreview.com

What I want to capture is not the moving people but the skyline and just long exposures and I do know how to do it but I'm just unsure of which camera to purchase. I'm leaning more towards the 70D because it can capture beautiful images and I already have lenses in mind. Also for the video quality which I might need like 10% of the time. But many people are starting to brainwash me with D7100, but I guess I'm still leaning towards the 70D cause everything fits my bill including the lens whereas the lens for D7100 is way too expensive and I don't really want to get second hand stuff. But yeah I think as long as the tripod is sturdy the images are well planned nothing much can go wrong right, after all 70D is a mid level dslr 😅

To be specific, what I really need is a camera that can handle videos well and yet take good pictures for nightscapes. Should I still get a Nikon? Thank you for your reply!

I used to use the D7000 for video work, and I think the D7100 has the same limitation - you can't change aperture on G lenses in video mode. It wasn't an issue for me as I mostly used older AF-D lenses which have a manual aperture ring. Definitely something to think about.

As I mostly use a GH3 now, I can say that having a fully-articulated LCD screen is a huge huge plus.

I'm leaning more towards the 70D because it can capture beautiful images

You're the one who will capture beautiful images. Can't go wrong with either as long as the person clicking the shutter knows what he/she is doing.

I wanna go full frame too but I still don't have the financial ability :( Sony A7 looks really tempting tho!

I used to use the D7000 for video work, and I think the D7100 has the same limitation - you can't change aperture on G lenses in video mode. It wasn't an issue for me as I mostly used older AF-D lenses which have a manual aperture ring. Definitely something to think about.

As I mostly use a GH3 now, I can say that having a fully-articulated LCD screen is a huge huge plus.

You're the one who will capture beautiful images. Can't go wrong with either as long as the person clicking the shutter knows what he/she is doing.

And that's what I think too! The articulating screen kinda helps because I'm short maybe I need help in high angles stuff HAHA. And also it helps a lot for the video. Really hope the 70D will be a good choice for scapes! 👍😅

Generally for landscapes most cameras should perform fine cuz you're shooting at lowest native ISO most of the time. Although many people might trash the articulating screen, I can say its really useful for awkward angles :)

I use my D5100 for most of my landscapes and I'm generally happy with it till recently, when I started to get a faint green tint in my images. :dunno:

I used to use the D3100 and the images had the tint too and it's generally not sharp despite using f11 and sturdy tripod. Also used iso 200.

D3100's noise performance when I shoot iso 800 or 1600 really sucked big time too. And that's why I want to upgrade haha. Even when long exposures the pictures are even grainier than my friend's Samsung nx1000. Disappointing haha.

I used to use the D3100 and the images had the tint too and it's generally not sharp despite using f11 and sturdy tripod. Also used iso 200.

D3100's noise performance when I shoot iso 800 or 1600 really sucked big time too. And that's why I want to upgrade haha. Even when long exposures the pictures are even grainier than my friend's Samsung nx1000. Disappointing haha.

Images not sharp? What lens were you using? Maybe your focus was off? And if you're on a tripod you should've went for ISO 100. :)

All the cameras you list will give you good landscapes if you know how to use them well.

To be honest it's just a mix-up of price, handling, lens available, and size/weight.

Just decide on all these, but please don't say you want good price, good handling, good and cheap lens, and all small small light light.. There is no such thing unfortunately.

Have fun!

Images not sharp? What lens were you using? Maybe your focus was off? And if you're on a tripod you should've went for ISO 100. :)

The focus was on and yes I was using the kit lens. Shot wide. And yes I used ISO 100. Had a typo over there ;p

All the cameras you list will give you good landscapes if you know how to use them well.

To be honest it's just a mix-up of price, handling, lens available, and size/weight.

Just decide on all these, but please don't say you want good price, good handling, good and cheap lens, and all small small light light.. There is no such thing unfortunately.

Have fun!

Yes true haha. That's why I chose the 70D over the D7100 and XE-2. Had to sacrifice the better image quality of the Nikon and the portability of the XE-2 to make up for the budget I have. But yes the 70D offer better lens that fits into my budget now. Hope that it all turns out well, thank you for your reply. And your photos are really amazing. Great fan of yours. :)

IMO,

70D - value for money lens(10-18), great video
D7100 - great dynamic range and overall IQ
XE-2 - very portable, superb lens(10-24), good dynamic range and overall IQ

each system has its own pros and cons, you just have to determine which criteria is dearer to you and you will eventually come to a clear decision.

IMO,

70D - value for money lens(10-18), great video
D7100 - great dynamic range and overall IQ
XE-2 - very portable, superb lens(10-24), good dynamic range and overall IQ

each system has its own pros and cons, you just have to determine which criteria is dearer to you and you will eventually come to a clear decision.

Hi there thank you for your reply!

Sadly what I want is both IQ and also video quality if I ever have to use it for my project. But my budget is too limited and so I can only settle with the 70D for the lens that is much cheaper.

If there is a lens for D7100 that is wide and somewhat cheaper than $400 I'll really consider the D7100 for it's IQ.

Anyway, is the 70D adequate for cityscape/long exposure shots at night? Just hope it won't be too far back off the Nikon. If theres no big difference then I would finalise on the Canon.