camera for a total newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarc

Oct 17, 2005
ok, i'm an abslute newbie when it comes to cameras. so bear with me ya?

i've recently gave my camera to my father and making do with my lousy mobile phone camera. think i need to get another camera soon and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what camera i should get. i need something that is relatively idiot-proof and has a quick shutter speed / shutter lag (i like to take pictures of dogs and i hope to get more then the dog's backside on every shot). preferably something not too expensive that i can afford. any suggestions?

1st u must ask urself how many mega pixels u wan. I'd say 2 - 3 mega pixels will be fine enough for u. U should look at Canon PowerShot series or Nikon. Some of them r cheap n good.

jarc said:
ok, i'm an abslute newbie when it comes to cameras. so bear with me ya?

i've recently gave my camera to my father and making do with my lousy mobile phone camera. think i need to get another camera soon and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for what camera i should get. i need something that is relatively idiot-proof and has a quick shutter speed / shutter lag (i like to take pictures of dogs and i hope to get more then the dog's backside on every shot). preferably something not too expensive that i can afford. any suggestions?

mayb u can let us kno ur budget? if it oso incl. spare batt & memory card, etc?:)

hi,

i am also very new to the scene here, was reading the replies above and i would like to know about the prices of some camera models before buying them. My budget is ard $1500.

1)cannon EOS 1Ds markll (16mp)
2)Cannon EOS 1D Markll (8mp)
3)Cannon Eos 5D

Just need to know the price range just in case i kana slaughter by the sales assistant. BTW, any recommended retail outlet to intro will be helpful too!

thx alot!
Cheers!:D

wow nowadays everyone consider 1Ds/1D/5D as their start camera hahaa.. amazing!!

Glenn22choo said:
hi,

i am also very new to the scene here, was reading the replies above and i would like to know about the prices of some camera models before buying them. My budget is ard $1500.

3)Cannon Eos 5D

Just need to know the price range just in case i kana slaughter by the sales assistant. BTW, any recommended retail outlet to intro will be helpful too!

thx alot!

wahh, you must be super duper rich! the cameras you mentioned cost way above 1500. for a rough comprehensive guide you can check the cnetasia site.

kashi

Glenn22choo said:
hi,

3)Cannon Eos 5D

thx alot!

You're kidding us here, right? With the budget, it may not even be enough to buy a good lens for these cams.

Glenn22choo said:
hi,

3)Cannon Eos 5D

thx alot!
Did you leave out a 0 in your budget??:sweatsm: :sweatsm: :sweatsm: The cheapest in your list costs ~$6k already...It's also CANON, not CANNON (unless you're naming a new brand that I've not heard of)

Glenn22choo said:
3)Cannon Eos 5D

WAH...:bigeyes: Newbie going BIG GUNS siah (CaNNon getit? heheh)....
EOS 1Ds MKII @ wat was that, $14K+ rt?
EOS 5D @ $6K+

Even 2nd hand would burn/incinerate most pple's pocket....

Glenn22choo said:
Perhaps,

Which camera will be more to suitable to work within my budget? range between 1500 to 2000.

That is a very good budjet and should get you a very good camera to start with. Others can advise - but any camera Canon, Nikon, Olympus. Konica-Minolta, have great equipment for what you are willing to spend.

But the more important thing is to ask yourself - seriously - what are you trying to do with the camera. If yours is an occasional photographer - birthdays, holidays etc and you are not going to spend time learning about light etc, I think a good point and shoot maybe just fine.

Glenn22choo said:
Perhaps,

Which camera will be more to suitable to work within my budget? range between 1500 to 2000.

Nikon D50 with kit lense RRP $1699
Canon 350D with kit lense RRP $1999

Get e-quotes from places like MS Color, alan Photo and Cathay Photo. You can get better pricing as they normally sell lower than the RRPs the Big Boys sell at.

Welcome to the world of Photography.

felixcat8888 said:
Nikon D50 with kit lense RRP $1699
Canon 350D with kit lense RRP $1999

Get e-quotes from places like MS Color, alan Photo and Cathay Photo. You can get better pricing as they normally sell lower than the RRPs the Big Boys sell at.

Welcome to the world of Photography.

Before you invest in a DSLR, always consider the accessories to go with.
It is not a one time investment that will give you excellent shots at multiple ranges, as the kit lens is only 18-55mm which equals a 3x magnification only.
In addition, the color output and sharpness from the kit lens would not be as good as the prosumer ranges in the market nowadays.

Other than the camera kit, you have to consider other stuff like dry cabinet, filters, additional lens, lens pen, blower, bag.... etc.

Unless you have lots to spare and can allow the DSLR to be utilized like a point and shoot, it will be wiser to get a prosumer instead.

Just my 20 cents.

look at what you using your camera for before buying.If it is for casual shooting,and you are not into photography, then you are better off with a PnS or a Prosumer cam.If you are into photography, then go for a DSLR.D50, 350D or the D5D are quite good for starters.
Just my two cents worth.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.