Camera for a 10 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinlow

Oct 22, 2007
Hi all,

My daughter, 10 years old soon, has shown good interest in photography. I thought of getting her a camera as a present. I would like something that can keep her interest alive and grow with her until she's ready to upgrade to something better. PNS would be a good start but which brand/model is good combination for a young child with reasonable photo quality (again for a 10 year-old). Looking forward to some advice.

Thanks.

10 year olds are pretty tech-savvy these days and a simple PnS would probably suffice. There are many older models offering 3-4mp selling for less than 200sgd brand new. If you got the budget you might even consider a canon350d or a nikon d40x for her to start off with.

Thanks peapilot. Noted you advice.
Any more input from other members.....maybe lady member can have better idea what a young girl looks for?

Consider a 350D or a 300D if u dont mind the age.Both cost less than $800 now...

As always a dSLR,ask your daughter if she can tolerate using the VF all the time and not rely on the LCD except for reviewing shots.

Also,she have to be very careful with the camera and lens.One "Mild" drop of 3 foot or so can already seriously damage/destroy the lens and/or the camera

PS:Age does not forbid owning a dSLR.Pardon my post as i didnt see you asking for P&S only.
There's a 10 year old girl here who already has a dSLR.

Hi all,

My daughter, 10 years old soon, has shown good interest in photography. I thought of getting her a camera as a present. I would like something that can keep her interest alive and grow with her until she's ready to upgrade to something better. PNS would be a good start but which brand/model is good combination for a young child with reasonable photo quality (again for a 10 year-old). Looking forward to some advice.

Thanks.

as a father myself.. i will get my kid a small PNS but have a manual override type of camera.. so it easy for her to chuck into her bag and use it.. and daddy can guide her along how to use manual mode..

sorry guys and pardon me.. dslr for a 10 yrs old kid who just show interest is overkill...
camera..
1. too complicated
2. too heavy to carry for her age
3. too expensive

just my thought..

Thanks ceecookie and intrance. I think so too that dslr is kind of too big and heavy for her.
Any recommendation on what brand/model of PNS.

Most P&S nowadays comes with manual functions. Get a Canon, casio, sony etc P&S would be good as normal range have manual functions nowadays. Girls especially like sony, casio, panasonic for it's compact size. It's a cam to grow on, there's a lot one can experiment and play with until she's familar with the functions, F stops, Ev, etc found on the P&S. In fact it has almost all the functions one can learn fr a cam/dslr may offer. Estimated learning lifespan 3-5yrs.
Once she's familar with the settings, she may get into DSLR without much hassle.

Most P&S nowadays comes with manual functions. Get a Canon, casio, sony etc P&S would be good as normal range have manual functions nowadays. Girls especially like sony, casio, panasonic for it's compact size. It's a cam to grow on, there's a lot one can experiment and play with until she's familar with the functions, F stops, Ev, etc found on the P&S. In fact it has almost all the functions one can learn fr a cam/dslr may offer. Estimated learning lifespan 3-5yrs.
Once she's familar with the settings, she may get into DSLR without much hassle.

Additionally,make sure the manual modes are not too complex for the girl to master.I do know that some camera makers include pre-set semi-manual modes(such as Best Shots for Casio) and this may allow your daughter to take good shots w/o having to fumble with the manual settings.

I digress... if she wishes to learn photography, she'd do better with a DSLR. These days, the cameras are pretty small and light. Look at the D40 for example. With the multiple modes like Aperture priority, Shutter priority, Manual, etc, she'd be able to learn how to control the camera to give the best out of the pictures.

PnS can only learn composition and VERY limited control over the camera's setting. A prosumer would be the next choice but still offer only limited control. Else, consider getting her a film camera...

Thanks ceecookie and intrance. I think so too that dslr is kind of too big and heavy for her.
Any recommendation on what brand/model of PNS.

not sure what to recommend..

maybe dpreview.com can roughly give u an idea what to get for her..

SITEX is here till sunday... best time to buy, i think...
can jalan-jalan there and have a look... bring along ur kid for her to choose.. err the color.. hehehe

some digicam price at SITEX for ref..

A DSLR is way too complicate for my kids. Compication often kills interest pretty easily. As a father of 2 girls myself, I would suggest a compact P&S which is easily to carry around. Start with them taking pictures and having fun, then only go for something more challenging as the interest grow.

I digress... if she wishes to learn photography, she'd do better with a DSLR. These days, the cameras are pretty small and light. Look at the D40 for example. With the multiple modes like Aperture priority, Shutter priority, Manual, etc, she'd be able to learn how to control the camera to give the best out of the pictures.

PnS can only learn composition and VERY limited control over the camera's setting. A prosumer would be the next choice but still offer only limited control. Else, consider getting her a film camera...

still.. for a 10 year old.. hmm..

i think pns for her with some manual control over shutter and exposure will suffice.. can learn composition together variable shutter speeds (for effects like traffic trail, motion panning, and flowing water etc) and variable exposure settings..

my 2 cents though..

My boys... 7 & 9 are shooting with my Oly E500 with dual kit lens :) Just the right size for them. Slowly teaching them the BASICS and RULES... not gear talk!

PnS can only learn composition and VERY limited control over the camera's setting.

yes you can only learn composition but isn't this what most of us are lacking at here even though we have the biggest of cameras?

yes you can only learn composition but isn't this what most of us are lacking at here even though we have the biggest cameras?

Please learn the BASICs FIRST :) which many are sorely lacking

for PNS , i think the pentax e40 selling at sitex is just nice for them :)

my gf was using a pentax m20, and im impressed by it, the e40 should be on par but 8.1mp

from the brochure, its selling for $239 if i remembered it right

For Semi-Manual Pre-Set modes,i would recommend Casio EX-S880(latest model).The Best Shots Scene Selection can make some potentially good images plus the camera is very slim.

Full Manual..not very good though

My son starts at 5 using my old Olympus P&S. Den he use my 350D and now at age 7 he is using my new 40D when I'm not using it. P&S is good for Kids to get to learn more about their interest. So far he had not dropped nor cause any damage to the cameras except for a few finger prints during the initial stage.

Good to just get a cheap 2nd hand P&S for a start.

My son starts at 5 using my old Olympus P&S. Den he use my 350D and now at age 7 he is using my new 40D when I'm not using it. P&S is good for Kids to get to learn more about their interest. So far he had not dropped nor cause any damage to the cameras except for a few finger prints during the initial stage.

Good to just get a cheap 2nd hand P&S for a start.

amazing kids nowadays.. =) i was playing masak masak when i was that age.. lol.. y'know those toy soldiers and plastic cars..

oopz.. sorry o.t..

Status
Not open for further replies.