Camera = Effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpot99

Feb 22, 2005
north
Hi people, I was wondering if I could take those blur photos with P&S? Saw those photo taken by some of the members in the potrait section and was really impressed by the sharpness, dynamic colours and the blurness of the background. I am using W1 but no matter how I set the aperature, it seems that I cannot achieve that kind of effect :( . Is it to say that I can only use P&S for landscape and the kind of effects I can achieve is limited?

Another question is that I intend to buy sony H1 - an ultra zoom camera with full manuel. Do you think I can achieve sharp potrait with blur background with it? Or is it just another P&S with a longer zoom :dunno: If it is so, which camera would be good? Canon 300D? Nikon D70? One thing is that I have a Budget and that I dun intend to keep buying lens? Anyone can give me advice? Really hope to take those kind of Pro looking potrait some days....

if you don't intent to "keep buying lens" then better not step into the dslr range.
Once you are in it is very hard to come out.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
prosumer camera hard to achieve the shallow DOF... hard, not impossible... manipulate the object & you get it...

I tried but its seems that the shallow is not that shallow. Will it be better with Sony H1 lets say if the aperature can go f2? Or is it dependent on the lens too?

its actually the way they make the camera, the sensor is too near to lens... hence you won't get that effect with a prosumer but able to get with a DSLR with even smaller aperture...

like i said, if you can't change your cam, change the surrounding... if u can't make the background blur, y not move the object nearer?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
its actually the way they make the camera, the sensor is too near to lens... hence you won't get that effect with a prosumer but able to get with a DSLR with even smaller aperture...

like i said, if you can't change your cam, change the surrounding... if u can't make the background blur, y not move the object nearer?

Tks Del. Point taken. Will try again to see if it can be done.

i dun think the sensor and lens distance affect the DOF,it is the size of the sensor that affects it.

Subject and lens distance + longer focal length also play a part in creating a shallow DOF,try moving in closer and zoom to the max.

This is kind of confusing :bigeyes: to understand... So it is to say that lens is not important when it comes to DOF but its the camera's sensor size and the focus lens thats important?? If I am to stand nearer to the object and then zoom how am I suppose to take a shot from head to toe?? :eek:

flowerpot99 said:
This is kind of confusing :bigeyes: to understand... So it is to say that lens is not important when it comes to DOF but its the camera's sensor size and the focus lens thats important?? If I am to stand nearer to the object and then zoom how am I suppose to take a shot from head to toe?? :eek:

the zoom part i not sure y he wanna zoom all out...

lets imagine you using a prime... (fix focal distance) den u wanna shoot a very blur background, we dun go into details about nice or awful bokeh...

so you have this model standing in front of you, you look into your cam & see that the background kinda same distance as the model... so just move the model towards you lor... if model move towards you and background became blurrer, den you model kinda stick too close to you, den time for you to move back lor... simple as that...

above said... u won't wanna use a 200 - 300 focal length to shoot this, cause u may be standing 1 street back to shoot a full body shot... instead, use a wide angle... solve your problem...

flowerpot99 said:

Not all best shots are full body. If your camera hv its limit, why not try to achieve similar effects with some creativity ?? You can always take head to shoulder shots in macro mode and achieve a slightly blur background. ;)
Play around with the different mode on your camera, and see what kind of effects u can achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.