Camera cum flash triggers

gardna

Apr 17, 2013
Singapore
Hi all,

I have many triggers, both flash and shutter and was wondering what difference there was between all of them

I have the

canon wired shutter, i think the RS-60E3, a shutter only device
canon RC-6, a shutter trigger only device
phottix cleon II, also a shutter only trigger device
YN RF-603 MK I, a shutter/flash trigger depending on how one sets it up
YN OC-E3, a off-shoe flash device

Wired shutter vs RC-6, obvious. RC can use from a farther distance

Whats the diff between the canon rc and the phottix one. To the best of my knowledge, its the phottix one can go up to 100m(not sure how much the canon one can be), as well as bulb shutter thing

RF-603 vs the OC-E3: you wouldnt need the OC-E3 is you have the RF right? or is there something the OC-E3 can do that the RF cant?

And if you have lets say the 580 EXII/600EX, they're unnecessary right?

Thanks. Just really confused about the difference

Just test them to compare :)

I did. They all do what they are suppose to do but was wondering whats the diff

Hi all,

I have many triggers, both flash and shutter and was wondering what difference there was between all of them

I have the

canon wired shutter, i think the RS-60E3, a shutter only device
canon RC-6, a shutter trigger only device
phottix cleon II, also a shutter only trigger device
YN RF-603 MK I, a shutter/flash trigger depending on how one sets it up
YN OC-E3, a off-shoe flash device

Wired shutter vs RC-6, obvious. RC can use from a farther distance

Whats the diff between the canon rc and the phottix one. To the best of my knowledge, its the phottix one can go up to 100m(not sure how much the canon one can be), as well as bulb shutter thing

RF-603 vs the OC-E3: you wouldnt need the OC-E3 is you have the RF right? or is there something the OC-E3 can do that the RF cant?

Remote camera shutter release and flash trigger ( wired or wireless) are two different
products.

Shutter release remotes: If you mount the flash of course it will fire as well ( duh?):what:.

Canon RS-60E3 -- wired remote 2 feet long.
Canon RC-6 ----- wireless ( infrared like TV remote)
Photix cleon II -- hybrid wired and wireless ( probably infrared also).

Flash trigger:

Yognuo RF-603 --wireless remote Radio trigger using RF ( radio frequency/ high frequency signal).Range claimed--100 meters?

Yongnuo OC-E3 -- Actually an extension wired hotshoe extender mounted on camera hotshoe
allowing full TTL communication between camera and flash.
allowing to move or postion flash away from camera body.

And if you have lets say the 580 EXII/600EX, they're unnecessary right?

When used as master flash, 580ex using optical transmission ( infrared) but 600ex RT can use both optical and radio triggering of slave flashes ( hence RT ).600ex can be set/controlled using camera menu but not 580ex.

See spec. difference between 580 and 600.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSolZ
lets say comparing the cleon II vs the rc-6?

Cleon II having to plug a unit into the camera via wire(doesnt matter whether on flash hotshoe or not) and using a remote to trigger the camera

VS

RC-6 just using infrared(i believe)

RF-603 can double as either a shutter or flash trigger but lets focus on the flash trigger portion for now..

This RF-603 vs the OC-E3

I can easily mount one unit on the hotshoe of the camera and on onto the flash to have the same effect as the OC-E3 right?

And i know this is absurd but if i have a 600 EX-RT and mount a RF-603 onto a flash(lets say 580 EX II), can the 580 be triggered via RF?

Thanks again =)

lets say comparing the cleon II vs the rc-6?

Cleon II having to plug a unit into the camera via wire(doesnt matter whether on flash hotshoe or not) and using a remote to trigger the camera

VS

RC-6 just using infrared(i believe)

If you use a certain brand shutter remote the camera will only "listen" to the one "plugged" in especially if wired.If "wireless" optical inrfared by line of sight only
meaning transmitter sensor (in camera or master flash must be aligned).Besides if two different brands infrared frequency signal differ so not compatible.No manufacturer will do this it's asking for trouble.

RF603 use radio signal on camera hotshoe and OC-3 is wired on camera hotshoe..yes for one flash only.RF603 act as the transmitter (send trigger signal) whereas OC-3 is tethered .I'm not sure if OC-3 has a separate unit "wireless" shutter trigger.Need a reciever unit attached to flash to be wireless.If both flash and RF603 are together it is not considered wireless since it is acting as a master flash unit by itself on the camera, you need a reciever unit attach to flash and another reciever on another flash if multiple flash triggering. OC-3 need to piggyback on RF603 if that makes sense.No TTL function btw,only manual.

RF-603 can double as either a shutter or flash trigger but lets focus on the flash trigger portion for now..

This RF-603 vs the OC-E3

I can easily mount one unit on the hotshoe of the camera and on onto the flash to have the same effect as the OC-E3 right?

No, RF603 is the transmitter so must be on camera hotshoe on on OC-3 at the other end?.For multiple flash units you need RF603 to send signal to the reciever units on other flashes to trigger more than 1 flash.

And i know this is absurd but if i have a 600 EX-RT and mount a RF-603 onto a flash(lets say 580 EX II), can the 580 be triggered via RF?

Thanks again =)

Canon flash 600ex RT has built-in optical and RF transmitter so yes can trigger 580ex via
camera since 580 has optical only 600ex set as master flash or vice versa 580?.Like I said before mixing different brand/system will not work.If attach 600ex on RF603 and on camera hotshoe will work as manual flash or master but no TTL function as contacts of RF603 are not the same as canon hotshoe nor is it designed as such.Hope this is clear.Read user manual.

Last edited:
my point is that the does the cleon II offer anything the rc-6 doesnt or vice versa?

Since both are wireless, shutter trigger only and both have bulb mode(if im not wrong), why would a person choose one over the other. (i think the cleon II has a longer range but thats it)

the oc-e3 is just a single wire thing that enables the flash to be off board got creative reasons i believe.

So, if lets say i have only ONE flash (no master function) using a camera that does not have a on board flash like the FF cameras of canon, would:

1) oc-E3 be better (maybe it has some functions over the RF-603 because its wired)

2) One unit of the rf-603 on the hotshoe of the camera body and one unit on the said flash.

Given both allow the flash to be off camera, is the only advantage of the RF-603 the farther range given the oc-e3 limitation of its wire.

I guess if you are using 3/4 flashes (all with no master function, cos if there was, i guess thats the go to choice), the RF is the obvious better option?

RF 603 no TTL function meh? i think i used it and it had

my point is that the does the cleon II offer anything the rc-6 doesnt or vice versa?

Since both are wireless, shutter trigger only and both have bulb mode(if im not wrong), why would a person choose one over the other. (i think the cleon II has a longer range but thats it)

Strange you ask such questions. A remote shutter realease is just a remote shutter release.
Purpose being able to trigger camera shutter from a distance or to avoid camera shake but you
can simply set a 2sec timer but remote release advantage is "on demand" using timer may miss critical
shot.Another purpose being stealthily shooting shy animals.Why would one choose as they both do the same thing?

the oc-e3 is just a single wire thing that enables the flash to be off board got creative reasons i believe.

I think the design reason is flawed as there is no clear advantage if flash is about 2 feet (length of wire) from camera, although it's better than directly on camera hotshoe so apart from solving red eye issue the close proximity to camera will just also produce a "hard" light like when it is on hotshoe being inline with the lens.Hard light gives harsh shadows which is not as nice as soft light
like bounced flash giving diffused soft shadows for portraits.

So, if lets say i have only ONE flash (no master function) using a camera that does not have a on board flash like the FF cameras of canon, would:

1) oc-E3 be better (maybe it has some functions over the RF-603 because its wired)

2) One unit of the rf-603 on the hotshoe of the camera body and one unit on the said flash.

Given both allow the flash to be off camera, is the only advantage of the RF-603 the farther range given the oc-e3 limitation of its wire.

I guess if you are using 3/4 flashes (all with no master function, cos if there was, i guess thats the go to choice), the RF is the obvious better option?

For OC-3 the answer already given above ( no advantage in terms of quality of light).
For "good" lighting flash would normally be farther away from camera left or right pointing
say 42 -45 degrees with respect to the subject (person).The flash would use a diffuser on the flash
to give soft light.The small plastic cup type will not do..haha.The bigger the light the softer it is.Eg. bouncing off wall but sometimes wall have colour not pure white.:think:

RF 603 no TTL function meh? i think i used it and it had

I have confirm RF 603 does not have TTL but is only a manual pass through flash function .
The TTL capable model is RF622C for canon.Say if you use a few RF603 you would need to set each flash
output power individually.When the term master flash is used it mean it is the key or main flash
that provides the light that illuminate the subject and the rest are for fill,background, hair or
kicker light to give body outline. Even then RF602 is not compatible with RF622 TTL as they are different systems so can't mix them in use.

The newer improved 560TX flash trigger can set or control other flashes from the camera position without having to go to each flash like the RF603.Used with 560 IV flash unit with built-in reciever.No TTL though.

As in i have both the cleon II and rc-6. i didnt buy any of them. i got both as gifts when i purchased cameras.
so was just wondering the diff. I guess they are quite similar

Noted on the oc-e3 part. i guess off camera is better than on any day =)

Just tested the rf-603, dont have ttl.. i guess thats why everything came out overexposed everytime i used them.
Never knew why haha

One last question
560TX can only be used with the 560 IV or is there another receiver i can use to place under a flash to receive the 560TX command (albeit, without TTL)

One last question
560TX can only be used with the 560 IV or is there another receiver i can use to place under a flash to receive the 560TX command (albeit, without TTL)

Should work with the rf-603. Only the fire command will be sent, you will have to adjust the flash power on the flash manually.

One last question

560 III can also be used as it has built-in reciever if I'm not wrong. As for other flashes see Yongnuo's 560TX compatibilty list with older recievers or transmitters on their website concerning 560TX. Quite a few, it's only smart of them but you lose the ability to set power output from the 560TX device need to set manually for that individual reciever? It's a complete system by itself.(560TX/560 IV) :)

Last edited:
they always tout them together. the TX and the 560

So you mean if lets say i have one 560 TX and three 560 III, i can control the power from the TX for all three?
but if im using the RF-603, i must go to each flash and adjust accordingly?

Did i get it right? haha

Thanks for all your help, appreciated =)

they always tout them together. the TX and the 560

So you mean if lets say i have one 560 TX and three 560 III, i can control the power from the TX for all three?
but if im using the RF-603, i must go to each flash and adjust accordingly?

Did i get it right? haha

Thanks for all your help, appreciated =)

That is correct but the reviewer gripe that 560 III does not have focus assist in low light
situations unlike canon's 580ex II but it has connector for external battery supply for heavy usage
outdoors.For the price of one 580ex you can buy 560TX and 3X 560 III. What to complain about..haha.

560 III review.

Last edited:
Referring to your question on OC-3, the primary purpose of this accessory is to allow the strobe to be used with a flash bracket. That is the reason for the 'short' coiled cable. A longer cable will be cumbersome. A flash bracket allows the camera to shoot in portrait mode with the flash position above the camera body. This gives a better effect as a side positioned flash may not give 'natural' feel to the lighting.

btw, i also saw online that the newer 560 IV is like a 560 TX except it can only control three groups instead of six? correct me if im wrong

Icic, now that makes sense after googling flash bracket haha.
thanks =)

btw, i also saw online that the newer 560 IV is like a 560 TX except it can only control three groups instead of six? correct me if im wrong

Yes, 560 IV flash has a built-in 560TX inside but can control 3 groups vs 6 for 560TX trigger.Say you have two 560IV flashes one can be master controller and the other one slave. 560 IV also has a optical slave sensor so can be triggered by another flash's light output.
It's still manual and no focus assist light.

560 IV review.

Last edited:
i guess if i have the cash, i should go for the canon haha

Like bao ka liao everything inside

Thanks again for your replies =)