Camera comparison for a starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le'Jay

Dec 13, 2006
Singapore; Bishan
Visit site
I have to say that firstly I do not have any knowledge in photography. I am just very interested in getting one and make my shots. If you do recall, I made a thread seeking recommendations on what camera would be suitable for a starter like me. I'm looking for a camera where by the interface wouldn't be too hard. I'm a tecnology-enthusiast and I learn fast. So I don't need some super-user friendly camera. A relatively user friendly one would be good enough.

I'm recommended by my friend to get a D80, he told me a 400D would be a too poser-like thing if I were to get it. What do you guys think?

I think that there are about 100 "D80/D40 vs. 400D" threads and that you should consider a quick search, as I think 2 such threads were just started today already.

What do you mean by too poser like??

In any case, both Nikon D80 and Canon 400D are equally capable of taking fantastic photos. Technology wise, both are quite advance, each with its own strength. With DSLR, you are not just buying for the camera body, but the whole system (lenses, flash etc etc). Both Canon and Nikon are the big boys, so you wouldn't go wrong with either of them. Maybe you should try both, get a feel of it, and decide which feels better in your hands.

Wish I could get both if I had the cash. I'm still saving up for one. Lol.

So in your opinion. What are the other cameras that will be suitable for a starter like me? Or am I able to start with a D80/D40/400D/350D already?

Wish I could get both if I had the cash. I'm still saving up for one. Lol.

So in your opinion. What are the other cameras that will be suitable for a starter like me? Or am I able to start with a D80/D40/400D/350D already?

350D: Good cam, discontinued
400D: Good cam, but smaller grip than 350D
D80: Good cam
D40/D40X: Budget DSLR, can only AF using the more expensive lenses

Also consider the Pentax K100D/K10D and Sony A100 since they have anti-shake built into the body, while for Nikon and canon you'll need to buy VR/IS lenses.

350D: Good cam, discontinued
Also consider the Pentax K100D/K10D and Sony A100 since they have anti-shake built into the body, while for Nikon and canon you'll need to buy VR/IS lenses.

or wait for the Oly E510 (built-in anti-shake plus live view).

get yourself familiar with a point and shoot with full manual controls first then consider a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.