Camera Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicalai

Nov 9, 2005
Far East
musicalai.blogspot.com
Hi all! I have a question about camera classes.

Often times reviews online would say things like 'image excellent for its class'. So, as an example, is the picture quality of ALL 5MP cameras similar?

Barring things like photographic control, is it fair to compare 5MP cameras like the Canon A610, Sony Cybershot H1 and Casio Exilim Z500 in terms of their output?

I'm trying to upgrade my skills and understanding of photography with a new purchase. I've been using a 3.2MP point & shoot for some time now and would like to progress to full manual control but the sea of information and models out there is quite overwhelming.

I definitely don't want to get into the dSLR realm right now, so would like something that can produce good quality pics (especially portraits and macro) which I can use for a fairly substantial length of time.

I would greatly appreciate any help the vets here could offer. Thanks!

I suppose "in it's class" means the types? Like, compacts, ultra-compacts, prosumers etc? And then say, compacts. It'll be subdivided into Manual control or fully Auto, that kinda thing?

Hmm... if you'd like creative control, get one with manual overrides. Many have shown an interest in the Fuji F11 because of it's good low-light performance PLUS manual controls. However, rumour has it that it'll be out only during Sitex. Looking forward to it!

the list of criterior can b subjective. who really kno wad is on tt list. excellent in its class in terms of? :dunno:

resolution?
color saturation?
contrast?

take wad is stated w/ a pinch of salt... :sweat:

maybe class in terms of format?

or perhaps its the marketing classes....which i suppose is more probable...
as in consumer digicam, proconsumer digicam, consumer dslr etc etc....

i think class would be in relation to

1) form factor -> ultra compact (ixus), compact (A series), prosumer (S2 IS), SLR

2) Megapixel -> 3.2, 4, 5, 6.3, 7.1mp

so if lets say canon says, the A610 has the best image quality in its class, it would be that in the class of 5mp compact cams, the A610 has the best quality.

or Fuji would say that the F11 has the best ISO performance in its class, means in ultra compacts and compacts, F11 beats them hands down.

this 'class' thing should not overlap into other classes. you should not compare a camera from one calss with another. E.g, u cannot compare A610 with Ixus 55 because naturally, the Ixus would have a less powerful flash, fewer controls etc.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i think class would be in relation to

1) form factor -> ultra compact (ixus), compact (A series), prosumer (S2 IS), SLR

2) Megapixel -> 3.2, 4, 5, 6.3, 7.1mp

so if lets say canon says, the A610 has the best image quality in its class, it would be that in the class of 5mp compact cams, the A610 has the best quality.

or Fuji would say that the F11 has the best ISO performance in its class, means in ultra compacts and compacts, F11 beats them hands down.

this 'class' thing should not overlap into other classes. you should not compare a camera from one calss with another. E.g, u cannot compare A610 with Ixus 55 because naturally, the Ixus would have a less powerful flash, fewer controls etc.

r those ratings reliable? :dunno: so wad happens if it does not produce results as claimed, got cash back warranty? IMO, it may jus b another sales gimmic... :think:

Ah, yes, I see. Thanks so much for the replies, everyone.

The more I read, and the more I see the examples of the work put up here, I think I'm able to make a more informed and confident choice now.

Very often the "Class" in reviews is set by the reviewers themselves. When a a camera is reviewed, the writer will compare it to other cameras he/she feels is comparable.

To get a better idea of what the writers deem as comparable, look for "round-ups" or "shoot-out" reviews whereby a series of 6-10 cameras are compared to each other. These cameras are considered to be "in the same class".

Status
Not open for further replies.