Camera Care in Cold Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyfrostysnowman

Nov 11, 2007
Hi all, I'm planning to purchase a DSLR soon for my year-end trip to Nepal. The climate there however is currently winter, with temperatures going down to 2 - 4 degrees celsius.

What would I need to do to ensure my camera stays in good operating condition in temperatures like these?

Thanks!

depends on what camera you're getting.

Go search the forums, there's been lots of discussion about this. 2- 4 degs, it's ok.

Personally, if going beyond any of the base camps, i would seriously stick to an FM2/OM1.

For DSLRs, make sure you keep the batts close to your body for warmth. Don't leave your DSLRs exposed with or without a lens at night. (ie: in your tent, sitting on the floor, etc) and when hiking, keep the dlrs's covered.

My son and his friends did a trip up to half-dome, yosemite 3 years back, and of all the cameras up there, (1dss, D2x, etc etc bla bla,) only 2 remained functional (without colour shifts/sensor blackouts) after their hike up in -15deg C temps.

Hope this helps

I'm currently considering getting a 20D / 30D (pending on availability). Would the models betw DSLR's matter in colder temperatures?

and nah I doubt I'll be heading beyond the basecamps. Most of the photos should be taken around Tibet.

hey that was good information right there. Thanks for the advice :)

i have been to nepal during year end many years ago. i was carrying my minolta film camera then. the highest height i went was over 4000m and i was on abc trek.

the important thing for me is to keep the camera especially the battery warm. put it close to your body if possible.

yepp. that pointer pops up on every search page on google too. :) thanks for your advice though!! =)

hi guys, i have a question too,

Will 14 - 20 degress celcius affect the battery's performance?

Most DSLRs use Lithium Ion batteries which works in a wider ambient temperature. If you have a camera that use AA Nickel MetalHydride batteries as a power source (or intend to use a flashgun in cold weather) than watch out. If you don't keep the batteries or camera warm before photography you will find the camera will appear dead. Bring it back indoors to warm up and the camera is operational again.

i think the major problem u might face is condensation on the lense.

i think the major problem u might face is condensation on the lense.

ONLY if you take the camera from cold into warm.

This topic came up twice already in the last 2 weeks or so, so I'll just repeat the salient points:

1: Make sure you keep a spare batt close to your body

2: Allow your cam to adjust to the ambient temperature. Don't keep it warm then take it out into the cold all of a sudden.

I took my A100 to the top of Kilimanjaro (-25C plus windchill) and it worked perfectly. I always kept it in a camerabag where the zipper was slightly open to regulate the temperature and humidity. Oh, and if you have filters, loosen them slightly. you don't want to trap moisture in there...

Status
Not open for further replies.