Camera can't focus

Yellow Elephant

Jun 4, 2011
Ehhh, this may sounds like a stupid question to many :embrass:
But am new to SLR, so pls shed some light :)

Even when i'm using Av mode or M mode, i'm not able to focus, as such, it doesn't allow me to take a shot at all.
Issit because i'm too near the object?
I am trying to focus the object close with a low aperture to create the bokeh effect.
Even when i switch back to Auto mode, i can't focus too.
What's wrong? :confused:

Thanks

Ehhh, this may sounds like a stupid question to many :embrass:
But am new to SLR, so pls shed some light :)

Even when i'm using Av mode or M mode, i'm not able to focus, as such, it doesn't allow me to take a shot at all.
Issit because i'm too near the object?
I am trying to focus the object close with a low aperture to create the bokeh effect.
Even when i switch back to Auto mode, i can't focus too.
What's wrong? :confused:

Thanks

Take note of the minimum focusing distance of a lens. If you are too close, the lens cannot focus on the subject and you will be unable to trigger the shutter.

How far is the subject from your camera?

Take note of the minimum focusing distance of a lens. If you are too close, the lens cannot focus on the subject and you will be unable to trigger the shutter.

i'm using the 18-135mm lens.
The object can be ard 10cm away from the lens; and I can't focus already.
Sometimes, you can auto focus "motor" trying very hard, but it just couldn't focus.
Similarly to the flash light. Sometimes, it flicker a few times, but just can't focus and capture the shot.

You are too near to the subject.

Lol, the min focus distance I ever vaguely heard of is 18cm. Assuming u calculate the front of ur lens, it still only like 20cm from sensor. It's way too short, move back another 10 to 15cm

You're either too close to the subject or shaking too violently. :bsmilie:

Sometimes, you can auto focus "motor" trying very hard, but it just couldn't focus.
Similarly to the flash light. Sometimes, it flicker a few times, but just can't focus and capture the shot.

EFS 18-135mm minimum focusing distance is 45cm

shierwin said:
EFS 18-135mm minimum focusing distance is 45cm

Oh...wow :) Thanks, this is very useful information. Now it makes sense.

too close la, no lens by default got min focus 10cm, the closest still date only 19cm min focus, unless u use extention tubes now that makes diff, ur lens min focus is 45cm as mentioned by other, so ya 10 cm is too too close liao lol XD

too close la, no lens by default got min focus 10cm, the closest still date only 19cm min focus, unless u use extention tubes now that makes diff, ur lens min focus is 45cm as mentioned by other, so ya 10 cm is too too close liao lol XD

10cm away from lens is not the same as 10cm min. focusing distance. The distance starts from the sensor. Nonetheless, its too near to focus

I see it all the time... Newbie DSLR owners in coffee shops, wanting to take a picture of their food/cake/coffee and wondering why the camera can't lock focus. :p

Oh, FYI, there is no such thing as a "bokeh effect".

My 30mm Macro have a minimum focusing distant of 13mm without extension tube :)

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/sal30m28

[Moderator's note]

Please refraint from too much OT, thanks.

erm, 10cm is too near for the 18-135 lens to focus liao... trying shifting your subject further away from the cam... there is also a MFD, pay attention to that...

Anyway I met the same issue when I first used 600D. That time I thought camera or lens spoilt liao :p

Guess I'll continue to sound silly through my learning process...
Please be patient with me ;)

And thanks for the quick replies! :xmas: