Camera Body/Lens Warranty

lowjason

Mar 23, 2008
Not sure if this has been answered before.

I am curious if a camera body/lens warranty starts from the date of purchase at camera shop or the date from the online warranty registration.

I have seen some sellers in marketplace posting their stuff that is already 6 months old and they did not register their warranty. So does it mean that if a new buyer buys the item, he will still be eligible for the full 12 months warranty if he decides to register online?

Any difference in the practice between different camera brands, Canon in particular...

Thanks.

Warranty is based on the receipt..
Registered or not, I don't think it'll matter so much..
You can register your warranty 10 months later, but warranty begins on the date on the receipt..

Diluted said:
Warranty is based on the receipt..
Registered or not, I don't think it'll matter so much..
You can register your warranty 10 months later, but warranty begins on the date on the receipt..

What if there is no receipt? Warranty card becomes void/useless?

What if there is no receipt? Warranty card becomes void/useless?
Without receipt no warranty service. Clear cut. The serial number could be used to track the manufacturing date, but that will always be more than the time of sale of the camera. Warranty cards are nearly useless, they only state the country for which the warranty is valid (for Canon).
Don't fall for those jokers with 'unfilled warranty cards', if they cannot produce a receipt let them fly kite. If they can't keep a piece of paper safe and dry then tough luck. Some of them just want to pull a fast one on unknowing people, trying to sell of their equipment for nearly new price. Unfair and dishonest.

Without receipt no warranty service. Clear cut. The serial number could be used to track the manufacturing date, but that will always be more than the time of sale of the camera. Warranty cards are nearly useless, they only state the country for which the warranty is valid (for Canon).
Don't fall for those jokers with 'unfilled warranty cards', if they cannot produce a receipt let them fly kite. If they can't keep a piece of paper safe and dry then tough luck. Some of them just want to pull a fast one on unknowing people, trying to sell of their equipment for nearly new price. Unfair and dishonest.

This is very good advice. Thanks.

Yup... unfilled warranty means nothing nowadays. If you doing a 2nd hand sale, if there is no receipt, just consider it as no warranty when pricing.

no reciept no warranty, got reciept haven register no use as the warranty starts from the date of purchase. imo those posted unfilled warranty card its just to make people more interested in buying their cam or lens or whatever =x,

eh btw i think only original receipt is valid for warranty am i right? photocopy 1 doesnt count right?

Just sharing my experience ... canon service centre has never ask me for my receipt or even warranty card when I send my lenses for servicing. They just checked their system for product warranty status. For brands like sigma, no receipt no talk. So it depends. BUT it is always safer to keep receipt and warranty card regardless.

I guess unfilled warranty will be attractive when there is still warranty left and the buyer just want the product to be registered under their names and/or easier to extend warranty if they wish to. Some can be particular about these kinda things. :)