camera body and lenses

desmondsoon

Feb 24, 2010
In a camera body, it contains the capabilities of the camera. For example, its sensor, megapixel, noise, iso, white balance performance, etc. Some better than others.
As for the lenses, there is the Leica, Carl Zeiss and Nikons and Canons, etc. Consensus is that Leica and Carl Zeiss have a slight edge over the others. So again some are better than others.
Obviously both camera capabilities and lenses are important to get good image quality (i.e. good photos). But , which is more critical ? Where should my money go more to; body or lenses ?

lens for me..

If u really want to optimum image quality at lowest cost, go for film slr, get a good quality scanner and buy some nice glasses :)

I am skewed towards the lens.

buy a 500D and spend the rest on photography lessons.

knowledge and skill outweigh equipment all the time.

just so you know Carl Zeiss can be bought at good prices, $300 or less - just a matter of whether can accept vintage lens full manual focus and preset aperture

Yet another topic that is being debate until death. To TS. You can try to search online. on the forums or even videos on youtube.. etc etc

IMO. Having a lens is more impt than having a good camera body.

Your image quality will be better with a better lens on a good camera body than a poor lens on a better camera body.

Having said that. If you have no idea or poor photography skills and understandings. No amount of equipment can help you. Not judging. But its the hard truth many didnt know or dont "believe". And if this happens. You should know where your money should go into. ;)

Since mid-2010 you had been dreaming of Lieca and Carl Zeiss lenses.
Nothing beats buying a couple of each and try them out yourself.
If you like them, can add more to your collection; otherwise you can sell them away in BnS :)

I think lens? Good lens usually cot so much more than a body so it will be natural to allocate a big part to that section.

Side track a bit I think skill are equally important, I will spend on course/book if I have the budget as I see some pros can even take better picture with a pns than what I are with a dslr haha :)

it all depends on the skill.

a bigger lens doesn't mean that the user will get more satisfaction ;)

Majority will go for quality lenses. Most important of all is practice and an eye for something special. Creativity are special qualities that hardware cannot produce.

After you buy the best lens and camera and maybe the best lighting system, after maybe $50000 later, if your pictures still suck, I hope you will finally realized (or admit) that it is you, not your equipment.

Thanks all for your comments; constructive or otherwise.

I am asking on the technical capabilities of the various camera and lenses, and not talking about about skill, composition, etc. That is a given; one must learn/know how to take photos before one can take superb photos.

SM (senior member) Rashkae wasted no time to chide me for not researching first. But he pointed out some existing threads with some dating back 2004 where I can get the answers. For that, I am grateful. Thank you.

You can start taking photos with any camera kit sets, you should grow together with your camera.

Don't waste time on searching for the perfect camera now, it will change as you grow in photography skills.

Nowsdays the technology advancement in DSLR allows you in any condition, in-built creative functions and fast processing. Get a zoom lens first and start shooting.

I'm also more geared towards lens.

Obviously both camera capabilities and lenses are important to get good image quality (i.e. good photos). But , which is more critical ? Where should my money go more to; body or lenses ?
Image quality is not the same as a good picture. Most critical is the person behind viewfinder. He/she can work around limitations of camera and lens, but neither the best camera or best lens will give better pictures when all other factors remain the same. Invest in knowledge, the best tool. You can still collect lenses later ..

every photos made of of three elements

the content = what is the subject/message in the photos?

you need this thing to make a good photo
a common term of this is call talent or creativity,
this one we are born with it, more or less
some people are stronger in this area than many others
but nevertheless it can be cultivate.

the technical aspect= how is the subject/message being presented?

you also need this thing to make a good photo too
a common term of this is call skills, or craft
nobody is born with this,
and you need training to obtain this quality
the more efforts you put in, the better you are

the medium = in what kind of camera and lenses being use?

you need camera and lenses to create photos
good photos, bad photos can be create from a same camera and lens
and good camera and lens does not create good photos automatically
this one anyone can buy it off the shelf as long he/she has the dough

so you see,
why every time we stress "the person behind the camera" is making the different,
because good "hardware" are not able to produce good results without a good "software".

to upgrade "hardware" is so easy, but seldom people really want to spend money, time and efforts invest or upgrade on their "software"
camera and lenses are consistently updating, invest on your brain is the best and wiser choice.