Camera Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecow

Feb 18, 2008
Before I get flamed for not doing research, not reading up, not doing my homework etc etc etc before posting this common topic, I would like to state first that I've already searched through Clubsnap, googled and read up many reviews, most which are helpful, but none fits exactly what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a messenger-style shoulder cam bag which can fit the following:

1 SLR body + 1 mid range zoom mounted
2 lenses (1 prime, 1 wide angle zoom)
small flash
~10 rolls of film
1 digital compact P&S
several magazines A4 size
1-2 novels/travel guides
1-2 maps
I do have a 7-inch Eee PC laptop so a bag that can fit this too would be good
maybe even a light cardigan

I find that most camera bags are just that - camera bags. The main compartment for most bags is usually exclusively for cam eqpmt with no space to slot in magazines or a slim laptop behind the padded inserts (if you can visualise this). Most are catered for photographers going out on a photo shoot and almost nothing else. I'm looking for something more for casual shooters, a bag which one can carry around in the city with a small laptop travel guide maps book mags etc while travelling, and if an opportunity arises, take out a cam for some shots. Hope I'm making sense here and not the only one with such needs (or, wants?:bsmilie:)....

So far the Domke F-6 looks the most ideal, at least in terms of shape, size and looks, but Domke prices are a bit of a turn-off... Any recommendations? Price wise:think:, <$100 hopefully, but feel free to throw in any suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

When I was looking for my camera bag, I had very similar requirements as you. My advice is not to squeeze too many stuff in your shoulder bag as it can be very tiring to carry after a long day. Here are my suggestions:

1. National Geographic medium shoulder bag - ard $130
2. Crumpler Brazillion dollar bag - ard $290

Can also try the following:

Lowepro fastpack series
Crumpler Customary Barge.

Cheers.

The Lowepro reporter 300 or 400 series is nice.... but no place or the notebook...

Can consider the Kata R-101 since you are using a 7" PC Laptop as I am using the R-103 because of the 12" laptop.

crumpler 7 million might be a tight fit. there are examples online of people stuffing a 12" laptop with a light set up. but your requirement of having magazines would make it an unlikely choice. Maybe the domke series, I had the Nikon Domke lookalike, it pretty much fitted most of what you wanted. but it became really heavy and tiring after a while.

I think the Crumpler Brazillion dollar bag will suit you and with some spare room too. It also a side sling bag. But I think Crumpler in Singapore has not stock as I couldn't find any at Crumpler outlers here is SG. I also want to buy 1.:(

try china made domke look-a-like. very durable too and very good price.

looking at the amt of stuff u gonna carry, i think its a bad idea to carry a sling bag. u gonna ache like hell at the end of the day if u carry it whole day.

having said that, i stand by my domke anyday. loving it and thinking of getting another smaller one.

Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs!

i've seen the nat geo one before but it seems a little small and i dislike the metal clip-ons instead of metal hooks for the front flap. as for crumpler brazilian, DAMN EX lol! anyway kangmf, i've seen it at the crumpler store in raffles city basement.

flipfreak: yeah i've measured before. the items i listed weigh around 5kg. imagine carrying a rice-sack on one shoulder haha. but well, i have backpacks already and i prefer the accessibility of slings.

i haven't considered lowepro before cos i don't like the look... as for domke copies, i've seen several safrottos at TCW. i've read that these are just as good, though some swear by it. for the price, might be worth a try. personally i've had a feel of them and they seem okay.

i guess there'll never be a perfect bag. will troll ebay for cheap domkes, if not i'll give safrotto a shot.

linotab, any idea where i can find a good range of kata bags locally? would like to have a look.

once again, thanks everyone.

Just a comment about Domke bags. I bought one about 3-4 years ago and used it occasionally. I love the bag. Not sure about the model but its a rather small one with a single buckle in the front. Anyway, I just discovered the other day that the side pocket had come away from the seam. So there is now a huge hole in my side pocket which extends to the interior of the bag. The Domke bag feels very well made and I was very impressed with the quality when I bought it. So I'm very disappointed now that it has literally come apart at the seams with light use.

Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs!

i've seen the nat geo one before but it seems a little small and i dislike the metal clip-ons instead of metal hooks for the front flap. as for crumpler brazilian, DAMN EX lol! anyway kangmf, i've seen it at the crumpler store in raffles city basement.

flipfreak: yeah i've measured before. the items i listed weigh around 5kg. imagine carrying a rice-sack on one shoulder haha. but well, i have backpacks already and i prefer the accessibility of slings.

i haven't considered lowepro before cos i don't like the look... as for domke copies, i've seen several safrottos at TCW. i've read that these are just as good, though some swear by it. for the price, might be worth a try. personally i've had a feel of them and they seem okay.

i guess there'll never be a perfect bag. will troll ebay for cheap domkes, if not i'll give safrotto a shot.

linotab, any idea where i can find a good range of kata bags locally? would like to have a look.

once again, thanks everyone.

When you are travelling like taking planes, its a good idea to put your slingbag into your backpack to carry =) Just a thought

hmmm sling bag , i got te nat gero one , can fit ...12" laptop, 70-200 f2.8+5D with grip mounted + 2 lenses +flash + battries .
u sure ya wana carry so much stuff :p get a back pack lah .
also used the brazillion $ bag before , can take even more stuff !! but too heavy..hahaha
*i can bench 110kg and carrying all that stuff still kills me ....

u can try think tank UD 50/60 without battery grip should be able to fit all ur stuff
i also got UD40 haha

i got tamrac adventure 9 camo backpack.sling bag with so many things can balance meh??:bsmilie:

Please visit Kata's website and it can help you locate local retailers as well.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.