camera bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimeow

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't own a camera bag at the moment and is looking into purchasing one. At the moment my pockets are always full of nic and nacks.

There are two types that I have seen in the market - the square, boxy one and the backpack type.

Which would be a better buy, why and price?
thanks bunches!

i don't know anything abt camera bags but the boxy ones looks, well, boxy to me.

I am petite in size, so if i have a boxy camera bag hanging by my side, would it look like i have
a) big butt if the bag is hung behind?
b) big abdomen if bag is hung in front?
c) big hips if bag is hung on the sides?

are boxy bags more cummbersome if you take them on holidays?

While choosing a camera bag, always look at your set of equiptments. I'm not saying that a trakker (back pack) series is not good, but it's kinda troublesome, it's build and design to give you a better support while you are mountain tracking.

If you have only 2 lenses and a body, ,why not consider a small reporter seires from Lowepro? It's easy to access while needed and it's not very boxy.

If you hate boxy type, try to look t any Crumple bag, they have nice material.

Sometimes, we need more then just one bag, for different occation, there are different bag needed. just get what suits you best.

I thought most of the time, when you buy a camera body (except for the almost pro to pro bodies), they all come with a camera bag? How did you miss that out? Or unless you are using a digital camera?

Both the boxy type and haversack have their own strength and weaknesses. ynot is right that it all depends on how much and what equipment you have.

reno77 is right that boxy offers faster access to equipment, which is y I like it and don't intend to buy the haversack one (since I was given the boxy type).

However, if you have many equipment you want to lug around, or having super big telephotos, then the haversack will be the option for you. Since you said you are petite, I don't think you want to lug more than 3 lenses with you at a time. This leaves you with the boxy type.

Even for the boxy type, there are various sizes. I recommend you get 1 surplus in size to whatever equipment you have right now, so that when you upgrade to have more lenses, you don't have to buy another bag.

You will only come to appreciate whatever equipment you have, be it lens, bag or tripod after you have 1 of your own and begin to make your dream list of your favourite equipment. :)

I have a canon slr (rather old one) which came in a box and no bag. Own only two lenses and a couple of filters at the moment. Will foreseen additions of more lenses and filters in the future.

How about the issue of weight distribution?

Some bags do not distribute weight well and thus will give problems such as backache etc.
How then?

I have seen Canon bags but really don't want the logo in front screaming "There is an SLR in this bag, GRAB". :eek:

What bag brand offers value for money?
I am unfamiliar with camera bags (handbags very familiar) so don't know whether I might be paying too much for a camera bag.

I recently bought a small Lowepro pouch that allows me to either sling it on my shoulders or carry it like a pouch. When I bought my Nikon, it came with a bag but it was really bulky & since I only had my camera & some extra films to carry, I decided to buy a small pouch.
I prefer back packs because it is better for one's posture & muscles. Sling type tends to make one overuse shoulder muscles on one side unless you are the kind who will constantly change between your left & right shoulder to avoid overuse.
Think you can go check out www.lowepro.com. They have different kinds of bags. I bought my pouch at Cathay Photo in Marina Square. They have different kinds.

In Singapore, most camera bags are expensive. I only knew about this when I was talking to photographers who travelled to the States, comparing to what they see of the same model in Singapore.

The boxy type of bags can be gotten OED (ie no brand type), while Lowepro, albeit with all the wonderful and designs which you really drool/dream about are more costly. 1 of the books I read suggested using a masking tape or just unsew the original brand name, making your bag 'brandless'! ;)

Anyway, I figured any seasoned thief will recognise a camera bag, brand or no brand, unless u are carrying a haversack. The onus is on you to be careful when u travel. I was worried about this before, but no longer after you are used to become more careful. If the worry of would be theft becomes a stress on you when u do your travels, then I'm afraid travel photography will cease to become enjoyable.

As for weight distribution, you can look out for bags which interiors are customisable. I'm a Minolta user, and their bag has velcro all over. I can customise my interior to have 2, 3 compartments of various sizes. I know many OED bags are customisable too, so just look out for that. :cool:

I guess the best way to know if your bag is worth its price tag, is to check out similar designed bags at various shops, just like the way you do your pricing homework before you buy your lens/assessories.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your photography. Using SLR is difficult if you don't have a good bag and good tripod.:rbounce:

dont buy whatever new camera bag coz

(1) u will love it so much that u will hate to trash n beat it around
(2)its usually expensive
(3) it is usually flashy and screams" STEAL ME!!!" even if there are no 400/2.8 inside
:confused: :confused:

hence, its better to improvise on any existing sports bag/duffle bag/rucksack coz

(1)u will love to trash n beat it about and get that ever more "experienced old-bird been-there-done-that look"
(2)it aint expensive, aint it?
(3)it will not scream "STEAL ME!!!" and u can smuggle a 400/2.8 inside for all over the place
;) :cool:

use the green field-pack from army...

u think anyone will steal then??:D :D

dun :rbounce: me

lol...

LOL..

maybe one day we all have outing for NSmen and NS... condition>>All carry field-pack.

haha..bunch of goondus carry field pack to esplanade..

Say if i wanna invest instead in an ordinary bagpack, how to keep the camera and equipment safe, i.e. well placed and not bumped around?

*scared now to buy bags with brands screaming "camera inside, rob me"

just have to find some soft material (towel? foam available@ supermarket/DIY shop/old mattress cut up) 2b used as some form of cushioning n u r ready to go. DIY process will make u more artistic n creative :cool:

Originally posted by yeocolin
In Singapore, most camera bags are expensive. I only knew about this when I was talking to photographers who travelled to the States, comparing to what they see of the same model in Singapore.
:

Lowepro is cheaper in Singapore than USA. No contest it seems.

Mini-trekker
- BHPhoto : US$110
- Cathay Photo: S$123

hey meow,

Depending on your setup really. If you have 2 film bodies, 4 lenses, 1 flash and batteries, you can get a backpack (Trekker), or a sling bag (Reporter series) from LowePro.

If you have only a prosumer digital cam (e.g. 7hi, 5700, 602Z etc.) then you will not need the backpack, and can get a small sling bag. The Reporter 200 will be excellent.

Generally, if your gear is light (1-2kg) and you plan to walk around and snap as you please, then dont get a backpack. Go for the sling bag. Dont recommend getting a waistbelt as those will sag.

Backpacks are excellent for heavy setups and for transportation. But you will not maximise it if you are only using an Canon A70.:)

look in buy and sell

boxy or backpack depts on wat u carrying... and wat u do.. if you are the type that walk and shoot in the streets, then boxy for easy access good.

if you just want something that u can bring ur cam ard, settle down and take out shoot and dun move, PERSONALLY i feel that back pack easier, like u say... better on back, not so boxy, can put other things etc.

for ur 1 slr and 2 lens....
try a nova 2 or 3. can get them quite cheap on buy and sell and pretty good condition. if wanna expand ur set, sell to someone with a smaller setup and get another bigger one... cheaper and easier.

homemade is good. i agree with clive ( i tear my lowepro label out of my toploader but dun take rocket scientist to see that its a cam bag!) but its tedious to make.. troublesome

got spare cash? or lazy to carry things ard, get a few...
top loader for body and one lens say eg u going to take photo of grandmas birthday
off shoulder/boxy kind when u wanna prowl ard and shoot with full gear
backpack when u wanna go travel or lug lots of gear ard other than cam

i do that, not that i got lots of cash but second hand, cheap, all in all less than cost of new bag!
my toploader: tlz 1 for $20
my shouder carry boxy nova 4 for $20
my orian trekker backpack for $60

just $100 for all and multi use for all functions
hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.