Camera bags - shoulder, sling or backpack?

kengoh

Jan 23, 2004
Singapore
Which one is faster when changing lens? :think: :dunno:

Which one is faster when changing lens? :think: :dunno:

Shoulder bag is the fastest and most accessible out of the 3, but backpack is most comfortable over a long day. Belt and lens pouch system will probably be the fastest to change lens.

The backpacks with side-access like Lowepro Fastpack or Tamrac Aero Speed Pack make it slightly more accessible but that depends if you like the system. I find it the lens changing position a bit awkward.

Shoulder bag is the fastest and most accessible out of the 3, but backpack is most comfortable over a long day. Belt and lens pouch system will probably be the fastest to change lens.

The backpacks with side-access like Lowepro Fastpack or Tamrac Aero Speed Pack make it slightly more accessible but that depends if you like the system. I find it the lens changing position a bit awkward.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm currently using a small shoulder Tamrac bag. Haven't tried other types of bags.
I know that backpack can hold more lenses & other stuff but not sure if changing lens is easy & fast?
I'll need to get a bigger bag, this current one cmi. :sweat:
At the moment leaning towards shoulder bag...

Here is my experience with Tamrac Velocity 8x (sling) and Vanguard Uprise 46 (backpack).

When I was using my Tamrac, changing of lense was relatively easy and quick because I can have the bag in front of me while I change lense. It sort of acts like a "table" for convenience sake.

Now I am using Vanguard. The bag is big and can hold quite a number of equipments plus personal belongings and a laptop. Weight distribution pretty good. I don't get tired so quickly. Lense changing can still be done but slower because its awkward. You just have to get used to it. I am getting used to it now by positioning my lenses in the bag at convenient location so that I can change them easily.

Here is my experience with Tamrac Velocity 8x (sling) and Vanguard Uprise 46 (backpack).

When I was using my Tamrac, changing of lense was relatively easy and quick because I can have the bag in front of me while I change lense. It sort of acts like a "table" for convenience sake.

Now I am using Vanguard. The bag is big and can hold quite a number of equipments plus personal belongings and a laptop. Weight distribution pretty good. I don't get tired so quickly. Lense changing can still be done but slower because its awkward. You just have to get used to it. I am getting used to it now by positioning my lenses in the bag at convenient location so that I can change them easily.

I've watched the demo video of Tamrac Velocity & seems not too bad.
But there's no dedicated demo video for the Vanguard Uprise 48, it's just a general demo video for all the products. Guess it's not as easy as the Tamrac Velocity. :sweat:

I still like my T216.

can use as backpack (can sling on bag) can use as sling bag, can even use to stabalise hands somewhat (i rest my hands on it for handheld sow shutter speed shots. can only work until about 0.3 secs for me ). change lens also dam fast. cos can swing in front of you . somemore wont drop lens ;)

For some backpacs, you need to get it off your shoulders so that you can open it up and replace the lens.

That's the disadvantage of these backpacks though they can store more lenses & accessories. :(

I still like my T216.

can use as backpack (can sling on bag) can use as sling bag, can even use to stabalise hands somewhat (i rest my hands on it for handheld sow shutter speed shots. can only work until about 0.3 secs for me ). change lens also dam fast. cos can swing in front of you . somemore wont drop lens ;)

I've not looked into kata yet..so many brands in the market.:sweat:
How much is the T216?

For convenience and speed of changing lens, definitely shoulder bag. The only thing that can beat shoulder bags will be either a vest or the belt/harness and pouch system like the Think Tank ones, but they really scream "photographer!" to anyone who sees you.... It's a pity, 'cos that really has the best load distribution while being super convenient at the same time.

Anyway, my personal take on this is shoulder bag by default, except when I know that I'll be walking a lot and/or carrying a lot of gear, then I'll use my backpack. I find sling bags (I presume you mean the cross-sling type) to be an awkward compromise, and I haven't found a sling bag that I think looks good.

I've watched the demo video of Tamrac Velocity & seems not too bad.
But there's no dedicated demo video for the Vanguard Uprise 48, it's just a general demo video for all the products. Guess it's not as easy as the Tamrac Velocity. :sweat:

Why not just go to the shops and check out the real thing? I think most of the usual brands can be found if you're willing to make trips to CP, TK and OP. You can bring along your stuff to check if everything fit like you want them to even.

I'm also thinking of shoulder bag which seems easiest.
But right now I've bought a light weight tripod which I'm sure will bring out more often. Was wondering how should I sling the tripod? Same as the shoulder bag or cross sling? :dunno:

For convenience and speed of changing lens, definitely shoulder bag. The only thing that can beat shoulder bags will be either a vest or the belt/harness and pouch system like the Think Tank ones, but they really scream "photographer!" to anyone who sees you.... It's a pity, 'cos that really has the best load distribution while being super convenient at the same time.

Anyway, my personal take on this is shoulder bag by default, except when I know that I'll be walking a lot and/or carrying a lot of gear, then I'll use my backpack. I find sling bags (I presume you mean the cross-sling type) to be an awkward compromise, and I haven't found a sling bag that I think looks good.

Why not just go to the shops and check out the real thing? I think most of the usual brands can be found if you're willing to make trips to CP, TK and OP. You can bring along your stuff to check if everything fit like you want them to even.

I've been to Penisula few times over the last 2 wks. Have seen CP's lowepro, found the Nova 190AW not bad but the bag looks like camera bag.
Was looking for bags that looks casual. So was thinking of crumpler million dollar series. ;p, but I can't find Penisula shops carry?
I know TK Foto carry Crumpler bags but was not so convenient to their shop.

Last edited:
I only have one backpack, a rathe large one which I used like only once. It's good for events where I can pack my large lenses and flash and a few more primes. Basically it's good where u can unload at the event location. For walkarounds/urban/travel, I still prefer a shoulder bag.

I've been to Penisula few times over the last 2 wks. Have seen CP's lowepro, found the Nova 190AW not bad but the bag looks like camera bag.
Was looking for bags that looks casual. So was thinking of crumpler million dollar series.
How about Billingham? ^^. The new 07 series is very nice and classy.

Billingham - expensive brand ah... My budget <$150 :sweat:
Expensive in terms of absolute price but not in terms of value. You grab one of those and see, you'll be touched by the worksmenship and design. Easily much better than those designer brands woman like to buy at a fraction of the price - you'll really be paying for what is it worth than some silly branding. Ha, enough of poison. <;

But right now I've bought a light weight tripod which I'm sure will bring out more often. Was wondering how should I sling the tripod? Same as the shoulder bag or cross sling? :dunno:

I used to face this problem too. Bought a tripod and wanted to bring it out then realise there is no good place to sling or hook it anywhere without entangling myself in straps. Back then, I was using shoulder and sling bags. I was frustrated but still wants to bring out my tripod. Then in the end, I chose the Vanguard Uprise 46 backpack which can hold a tripod on the side and all my equipments. Now so far so good, no complaints.

kengoh, shoulder and sling bags normally can't hold a tripod unless your tripod is really light and small. So if you really want to bring tripod out everytime, then a backpack will be a good choice. As for me, I bring tripod almost everytime I go shooting, be it day or night.

I think this one really up to you, I know I usually carry my bags (camera and tripod) on the same right shoulder, non-cross sling. If I'm keeping the cam out of the bag, then the cam will be cross slung on the left shoulder over the the right hip with the bags. Just have to try all sorts of config and see what's most comfortable for you.

Was looking for bags that looks casual. So was thinking of crumpler million dollar series. ;p, but I can't find Penisula shops carry?
I know TK Foto carry Crumpler bags but was not so convenient to their shop.

For Crumpler, can also go to the Crumpler shop in Raffles City Marketplace (in the basement), they should have all the models there, better than TK (just for Crumpler of course :))

Take a look at Kata:
kata 3N1 33

From what I know Kata provide the backpack for Israel's army and I find it very fitting and comfortable to carry. If you do a cross sling u just need to unbuckle one sling and it become a sling bag for you to get your camera on the side zip by just a pull.

Best is you go down to the shop to try. OP have a few selection for that model.