Camera Bags for Traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillyme

Sep 27, 2003
Potong Pasir
Hi all,

In your opinion, which bag is suitable for holiday-making? I'm looking around for a new bag. One that has room for souvenirs and stuff you pick when you travel around and yet organised well for cameras.

I'm looking at Crumpler's Farmer's Double. Looks like a good bag :)

holiday..best to use backpac

I just use the camera bag given when I bought my Canon A75. Serves me well during my 1 week in Malaysia. Just pop in 2 cable, cleaning kit, extra batteries.

ermmm... how much room you need for ur camera stuffs? maybe you would like to list out the equipment that you would like to bring when going overseas so that CSers will know what to recommend.........

Cheers.......

sillyme said:
Hi all,

In your opinion, which bag is suitable for holiday-making? I'm looking around for a new bag. One that has room for souvenirs and stuff you pick when you travel around and yet organised well for cameras.

I'm looking at Crumpler's Farmer's Double. Looks like a good bag :)

mpenza said:
alternatives would be Lowepro Rover Plus, Rover AW II, Orion Trekker.

I just changed my Mini Trekker to an Orion Trekker, very good for one or two days outing.

But do suggest you carry a small and compact camera bag too. Sometimes when you do some street shooting or local group tour, you don't wanna carry a big bag along with you. Just a cam, one lens and a small bag. Most time you don't even need to carry a flash.

Assume you are using DSLR or SLR btw.

Cheers!

plinius said:
ermmm... how much room you need for ur camera stuffs? maybe you would like to list out the equipment that you would like to bring when going overseas so that CSers will know what to recommend.........

Cheers.......
hi plinius,

prolly one body and two to three lenses.

but actually we can just have a general discussion on what's an ideal bag :)

really depends on how much equipement you are thinking of bringing...

for me, 1xbody with my 24f2.8 and 50f1.8 in my photorunner, and i'm good to go!! :)

heck, sometimes i'm just too lazy, i'll just bring my p&s (often good enough for holiday pics), and throw it into my backpack. :bsmilie:

ermm...what lenses? if BigMa then diff story altogether.... ;p

sillyme said:
hi plinius,

prolly one body and two to three lenses.

but actually we can just have a general discussion on what's an ideal bag :)

I travel with my LowePro Toploader Mini, and a Deuter Quasar 1.1L backpack.The Deuter's side mesh pockets have loops that can restrain my tripod.

Deuter_Quasar_larger.jpg

loweprotoploaderzoommini.jpg

Mine are similar to the pics, except that they are black.

Try formal lounge...

1 X Dslr wif grip
2 X lens up to 70-200
1 X flash
1 X laptop
1 X tripod
3 - 5 days of clothing (no pants lah!)

Only problem...v heavy..similar if not worse than fieldpack..

neves_atk said:
Try formal lounge...

1 X Dslr wif grip
2 X lens up to 70-200
1 X flash
1 X laptop
1 X tripod
3 - 5 days of clothing (no pants lah!)

Only problem...v heavy..similar if not worse than fieldpack..

formal lounge is the one with bottom for camera stuff one rite? big enuff for 70-200? standing vertical or lying horizontal? thx

This is the Formal Lounge
b88_pop1.jpg

kegler said:
formal lounge is the one with bottom for camera stuff one rite? big enuff for 70-200? standing vertical or lying horizontal? thx

RossChang said:
well, if it doesn't, can always wrap it in the top compartment mar... ;)

Very true.... but was hoping someone tells me it fits into the lower compartment...hee....so upper compartment can put other barang barang...

Ya, Formal Lounge seems a biiiiiiit heavy. I think Lowepro's detachable beltpacks is a good idea, makes it more accessible and versatile

Ultimately, I think it depends on how big is
your stuff and souvenirs.

I.e. in terms of proportion, is the camera equipment occupying more
than 60% or only 30% of the total space?

Otherwise may as well use an expandable (more flexible) bag
and buy some wraps to protect equipment.

sillyme said:
Ya, Formal Lounge seems a biiiiiiit heavy. I think Lowepro's detachable beltpacks is a good idea, makes it more accessible and versatile

Are you referring to the Orion AW? It is actually two bags, bottom for camera and top back-pack for clothes, lunch, etc. The camera bag can be detached and used by itself as a beltpack and/or sling bag and has a weatherproof cover tucked away in a compartment. It is so comfortable I can trek all day without having to remove it. I can fit my SLR with 19-35mm lens attached, 3 more lenses, flash, teleconverter, filters and film as well as have a small tripod (or foldable umbrella) strapped below.
I also have a Tamrac 748 daypack which is smaller but still can house a SLR with lens attached, a flash and 1-2 spare lenses plus accessories in the camera compartment and a folded umbrella, waterbottle and sweatshirt in the top compartment. It is also comfortable but lighter than the Orion AW
If I am alone and need a backup camera, I strap on a Lowepro Sideline shooter. It can house my FZ10 with LTZ10 teleconverter (or my SLR with 70-300mm lens attached), flash, filters etc. Beltpacks are great for keeping a camera safe from knocking around but ready to shoot yet have your hands free e.g. to climb or grab handholds on difficult parts of the trail.
I have other bags and which I use and what equipment I bring depends on the nature of the trip. One I try my best to avoid bringing on a trip is my Minolta sling bag because it screams "steal me".

jpcc said:
Ultimately, I think it depends on how big is
your stuff and souvenirs.

I.e. in terms of proportion, is the camera equipment occupying more
than 60% or only 30% of the total space?

Otherwise may as well use an expandable (more flexible) bag
and buy some wraps to protect equipment.
you're suggesting to get a normal haversack and use wraps? I think that's a good option to explore.

hey ancientmariner,
that is some good insight you gave :) thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.