Camera Back pack or sling bag ?

AkemiOgre

Oct 30, 2010
Heyy , i would like to know whether a sling bag or a back pack is more suitable for camera equipments.

I have 3 lens , [not tele]
d3000
Hama tripod
Batteries and some memory cards

Which do you suggest i buy ? Or if possible can anyone recommend me a good bag ? Thank you.

are you going to bring all your lenses everytime you go out?

if it was me, i would go fo a backpack for the reason that the weight can be evenly distributed and therefore can carry more stuff (both now and in future if needing more stuff). sling is ok for lighter gear.

yap. backpack is good for heavier load but is harder to access ur equip than sling bag. if u want hybrid kind of bag, maybe u can check on the sling o matic from think tank.

IMO, I think you will end up both bags....

- Backpack: Many models are relatively big and may not be suitable for all events (E.g. Simple Dinner event with old friends where tripod is not needed). I normally use this when going around SG and shoot for many hours, traveling with a shoulder bag for hours can really kill your neck/shoulder...

- Shoulder bag: Don't think can put tripod, therefore will be more troublesome to carry additional bag to hold tripod. Normally used where backpacks seems too bulky. Personally, For certain events when I require tripod, I just sling the tripod instead of bringing the backpack as backpack just seem inappropriate for that kind of event (e.g Indoor event, KTV?).

I personally have both type of bag...just bring the right one for the right event..

preference la, get anything that comfortable and can fulfill ur needs on ur current gears and the coming one.
i hve a backpack, slingshoot bag, sling bag, waist bag and i use them accordingly to my needs & gears that i bring out....

preference la, get anything that comfortable and can fulfill ur needs on ur current gears and the coming one.
i hve a backpack, slingshoot bag, sling bag, waist bag and i use them accordingly to my needs & gears that i bring out....

lol...seems like the verdict is get one that suits your needs now, get another to suit another during then :bsmilie:

So far I find nikon's free gift brace bag and the previous Lowepro 190 are excellent sling bags for one body and two lens. But when I started shooting macro, I find sling bags are cumbersome.. I still keep one for light shooting.

Hi, I put my sling bag in my backpack. :)

Hi, I put my sling bag in my backpack. :)

haha thats really creative!

one point to consider too, if you foresee yourself going on photowalks, its best to get a backpack because its gonna be more forgiving on your shoulders!

haha thats really creative!

one point to consider too, if you foresee yourself going on photowalks, its best to get a backpack because its gonna be more forgiving on your shoulders!

my bro turned his free A55 sling into an insert for his over-sized crumpler :bsmilie:

my bro turned his free A55 sling into an insert for his over-sized crumpler :bsmilie:

sometimes i do that too, but with my $4m home in my barney rustle (thats a crumpler in a crumpler) =x

wa kei, finally show your real face alr huh =p

sometimes i do that too, but with my $4m home in my barney rustle (thats a crumpler in a crumpler) =x

wa kei, finally show your real face alr huh =p

:bsmilie: hahaha. my face for all to see.

anyways, i use a ThinkTank Streewalker HD. oversized, but even if i'm not carrying my gear, i can still rework the inserts for my own gear like headphones and books etc

Wow you guys have awesome camera bags and gears.

Im using a camera crumpler bag. If thats how its been called. And inside is my D90, lens cleaner, D90 quick guide, wallet, perfume, iphone, iphone portable charger and shades.

Its really a newbie set up persay.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using ClubSNAP

lol...seems like the verdict is get one that suits your needs now, get another to suit another during then :bsmilie:

hahaha. agree with this! I'm a noob who just got a kata3n1-33 backpack. it has served me well with the recent short trip i took with my family. Now considering to get a sling bag for my everyday travelling so that I can have my camera with me wherever i go!

I personally use both the sling bag and a backpack for my gear. for three lenses, if you intend on bringing it all around a backpack would be a better choice and I reckon your shoulders & back would be thanking you for it. :)

i got both backpack and sling bag.

if need to bring a lot of equipment = backpack
for the every other lazy day = sling bag

usually inside my sling bag, i will just bring along the camera with 1 lens attached + my 85/f1.8 in the other compartment. if i am really feeling very lazy, i will just leave the 85 at home.

i use to lug a rather heavy load of equipment on a sling, Camera + Grip, 4 lens and accessories... easily 5kg+...

now i only carry 1 camera and 2 lens max on a sling... backpack for anything heavier.... :)

i got sling bag, backpack, roller bag...

it really depends on the situation...

Sling bag - good for quick access to your camera and lens ... however all the weight is on one shoulder
Backpack - good distribution of weight... however not as easy to access the lens and camera in your back.
Rollerbag - take the weight off the body ... however quite a hassle if you are going to a crowded area

that's why most photographers have more than 1bag.

well whether its a backpack sling bag, it ya choice and comfort zone....

as for me walkabouts and formal events no tripod no thing, will be a sling bag...

if landscaping or something else, will be backpack, with my TT belt system...

and i agree with ferderico.. most photogs have more than one bag....

Last edited:
akerue said:
well whether its a backpack sling bag, it ya choice and comfort zone....

as for me walkabouts and formal events no tripod no thing, will be a sling bag...

if landscaping or something else, will be backpack, with my TT belt system...

and i agree with ferderico.. most photogs have more than one bag....

Bags!!! I have so many my CFO banned me from getting more. :cry: