Camera and Lens combinations

cjyong

Dec 21, 2006
Hi,

Would like to hear from you guys some of your suggestions. I have stop photography for a year or so and would like to get a cam back. Have this two combination in mind:

1) Wait for D800 + 24-70 f2.8

2) D7000 + 24-70 f2.8 + Wide angle lens

Which of this do your recommend? As rumours have been spreading that D800 is launching soon, thus would not want to get the D700 for the moment.

Cheers.

First things first, what are you planning to shoot? It's better to list down the stuff you're kin on so we can narrow down your choices

if you don't need to camera now, than can wait,

if you need a camera urgently, get whatever is available.

if you don't want to buy now but also need a camera, than rent it.

Looks like you want to go full frame. So no point buying DX lenses.

Of course the most economical option is 1. But you don't mind not having a camera for a while? How long can you tahan to wait... 6 months? 1 year?
If cannot wait, why not get a 2nd hand camera (something to use in the meantime - depends on $ available) + 24-70, whilst you wait for the D800.

When D800 comes out, you can be certain it will cost a lot more than D700's current street price.
So the question to ask yourself is: Is there any particular area you feel the D700 is lacking, that maybe (still rumours after all) the D800 will correct or improve upon?

If you foresee yourself maintaining an FX system, then my suggestion is to get D700 first and the appropriate FX lens that suits your style.

Do you have a budget to stick with it and considering other commitments?

I'm sure you can wait a little bit longer... since you have stopped one year and eying on D800.

What were you using before you stopped photography?

If I want to start all over again, i'll get the D700 today. That's me though (currently using D300s for slightly over a year.)

First things first, what are you planning to shoot? It's better to list down the stuff you're kin on so we can narrow down your choices

I am more into portrait and landscape

Do you have a budget to stick with it and considering other commitments?

I'm sure you can wait a little bit longer... since you have stopped one year and eying on D800.

What were you using before you stopped photography?

If I want to start all over again, i'll get the D700 today. That's me though (currently using D300s for slightly over a year.)

Not really have a budget at the moment.

I was using D200 before.

Not really have a budget at the moment.

I was using D200 before.

hearing from what you prefer to shoot, i'll go for FX if i'm in your shoes. it's a step up from your previous body.
And becos i dun shoot ultra wide for now, i rather get something more standard focal length unless it appears a niche on landscape to use uwa on FX makes more sense to me.

between landscape and portraits are both different focal lengths in photography. one uses a wide angle lens and other more often uses a telephoto lens.

Last edited:
I seriously wonder what leaping technologies can D800 incorperate to render D700 less desirable. I'd advise getting the D700 after D800 release, grab during the panic selling period if you are not in the rush.

I seriously wonder what leaping technologies can D800 incorperate to render D700 less desirable. I'd advise getting the D700 after D800 release, grab during the panic selling period if you are not in the rush.

it's still a camera though. but we do expect it to have more pixels, better low light performance, lesser noise at hi-ISO, 1080p D-movie, plus all bells and whistles.. making photog all drooling.. maybe not all but most.

wmayeo said:
it's still a camera though. but we do expect it to have more pixels, better low light performance, lesser noise at hi-ISO, 1080p D-movie, plus all bells and whistles.. making photog all drooling.. maybe not all but most.

They can continue to drool, that's fine!
As long as there are good deals for the cast-offs :)

Keeping my fingers cross for a 1.6k D700 2nd hand after the D800 releases. Haha, of cos, that's just mu wishful thinking. :D

Cowseye said:
Keeping my fingers cross for a 1.6k D700 2nd hand after the D800 releases. Haha, of cos, that's just mu wishful thinking. :D

I am also wishing, then I can get another one. But I think have to wait long long.

The problem is wait till when.... I also waiting but I am enjoying my D7000 now... so can't give you an answer... =D

For semi-pro and pro DSLR, Nikon always come out with surprises, let me guess for D800 new features, how about zoomable sensor, build-in WIFI cum 3G, battery-less emergency mode, 3D picture taking, ok, enough for my dream cam, get back to reality D700 now.

Astin said:
For semi-pro and pro DSLR, Nikon always come out with surprises, let me guess for D800 new features, how about zoomable sensor, build-in WIFI cum 3G, battery-less emergency mode, 3D picture taking, ok, enough for my dream cam, get back to reality D700 now.

If that's the case we will be seeing a lot of D700 at BnS. Panic selling at 1.6k FTW!!! *fingers crossed :)

If budget not an issue, get the D3s ! :devil: