Camer mode to use with External Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

canik7

Jan 8, 2007
I read from the SB600 menu that we should set the camera to Aperture mode when using Auto TTL flash mode on an external flash. I like to know what aperture to set and how do we know if the exposure will be correct. I believe the exposure metering cannot be use as a guage of the expected exposure of the photo.

I'm on Manual always once flash is mounted. The exposure will always try to compensate the background which cause super slow shutter.

Hi tunster,
Isn't the shutter speed fix to 1/60 when flash in mounted? If put to manual, is there any guideline on what aperture or shutter setting to used? or it is purely through experience.

Set to P and use matrix exposure. Should be ok for most situations.

Oh paiseh ah. Didn't pay attention it's a Nikon System.

Cause on Canon, even you mount the flash on it will still go by its normal way.

Isn't the shutter speed fix to 1/60 when flash in mounted?

No. There is a limitation in the maximum shutter speed for flash sync (about 1/200sec). Everything equal or slower than 1/200sec will work. For Canon systems the shutter is set to 1/60s in P mode but can be adjusted freely in Av mode together with the Cn functions.

If put to manual, is there any guideline on what aperture or shutter setting to used? or it is purely through experience.

There is an exposure meter in your camera, right? Check your manual to see where to find it and how to read.

I believe the exposure metering cannot be use as a guage of the expected exposure of the photo.
What makes you believing this? If your flash is a TTL model than the metering will be done also considering the flash settings and in return the camera will adjust the flash. Read here for more information about flash.

No. There is a limitation in the maximum shutter speed for flash sync (about 1/200sec). Everything equal or slower than 1/200sec will work. For Canon systems the shutter is set to 1/60s in P mode but can be adjusted freely in Av mode together with the Cn functions.

There is an exposure meter in your camera, right? Check your manual to see where to find it and how to read.

I know there is the viewfinder EV meter. But what happens is that is always showing underexpose with the flash mounted because somehow the shutter speed is fix at 1/60. This is with A mode. That is why i am confuse as to how to know if the exposure will be right.

What makes you believing this? If your flash is a TTL model than the metering will be done also considering the flash settings and in return the camera will adjust the flash. Read here for more information about flash.

thanks for the link. i think the understanding is that TTL will calculate the exposure. But my picture shows different brightness with different Apartuer value. That is what puzzle me because i would think the flash would compensate the changes in A and provide consistent exposure. I guess i am still very a novice in this area.

For Nikon Cameras, I believe the expose metering you see in the viewfinder is without taking account of the effect of the flash. So it's expected that the metering shows under-exposure. If on TTL, the flash will do it's best to light up the subject to the required exposure. If it fired at full power but still wasn't bright enough (e.g. shooting into bright sunlight in Balanced Fill mode), it will beep to let you know that it could meet the requirement.

It's best that you try it out for yourself. Check the exposure meter with your flash on and off. It should be about the same. With Flash on, the magic of TTL takes care of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.