Camcorder Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limsgp

Dec 16, 2005
Singapore, Bedok
Saw on the "www.camcorderinfo.com" website that the pricing of the 2 camcorders as follows

Canon HV20 Camcorder , $949.99
JVC GZ-HD7 Camcorder , $1,499.99

Presuming it is in USD.

Saw on local website the pricing in Singapore is as follows
HV20 (PAL) SGD $2299 (US Price × 2.4 )
JVC GZ-HD7 SGD$2,400.00 (US Price × 1.6 )

Anyone knows how come the Canon is much more expensive in Singapore then the pricing in US after factoring in the exchange rate?

S$2299 is Canon's recommended price, which is usually higher than what you can get in the shops. Brand new products also tend to start on the high side and drop after a few months.

Having said that, I also think there are some glaring discrepancies in pricing nowadays. For items that are not really mass market, Singapore prices are not so cheap any more.

Saw on the "www.camcorderinfo.com" website that the pricing of the 2 camcorders as follows

Canon HV20 Camcorder , $949.99
JVC GZ-HD7 Camcorder , $1,499.99

Presuming it is in USD.

Saw on local website the pricing in Singapore is as follows
HV20 (PAL) SGD $2299 (US Price × 2.4 )
JVC GZ-HD7 SGD$2,400.00 (US Price × 1.6 )

Anyone knows how come the Canon is much more expensive in Singapore then the pricing in US after factoring in the exchange rate?

JVC GZ-HD7AG just came into Singapore's shores recently. The retail price is SGD$2999. For SGD$3000, you have a CONSUMER class video camera with professional camcorder features. There is a manual focus ring, Fujinon HD Video lens, a mini lens hood typically seen on professional camcorders, 3CCD 1/5 inch sensors, Optical Image Stabilization, mic input, cold accessory shoe, and an extensive set of manual options.

However, there are reports from users that the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) with JVC-HD7AG does NOT work. One user even commented that the OIS with the JVC is even worse than his USD$200 Pentax Optio W10. If the OIS worked, it is a very good buy.

Until recently, majority of the consumer camcorders do not have Optical Stabilization (OIS, lens shift system) but rather Digital/Electronic Stabilization (EIS). As all of us know, videos taken with small consumer class video cams are very SHAKY. And EIS does not help in stabilizing the SHAKINESS. To mitigate shaky effects, we often have to resort to additional support like using a 2nd arm, leaning against the wall, using a monopod, tripod, etc. Very few people can produce steady videos with consumer class camcorders, unless they have super steady hands.

Even Sony HDR-HC3, Sony's first generation HDV camcorder, does not have OIS. It's only recently that camcorder manufacturers start packing OIS into their consumer class camcorders, and well as many other manual settings, usually seen on professional camcorders.

Starting with 2nd generation HDV consumer class camcorders, that is, year 2007 camcorders, OIS is now a common feature among manufacturers. You can recognize OIS by the words OIS or Mega OIS.

For consumer class camcorders, OIS is a MUST. Otherwise we will all be shooting shaky videos. Videos shot by professional camcorders are very steady because (1) it is compulsory for them to have OIS, and (2) because of their sheer size and weight. Because professional video cams are large and heavy, and some of them can be shoulder mounted (SGD$80,000), videos taken are very steady. It is very hard to shoot steady videos with consumer class video cams unless you use some form of support, like a monopod or tripod.

Canon HV20 HDV camcorder is now available nationwide in Singapore at SGD$2300, featuring a 25P progressive mode that is typically found on professional camcorders. With Optical Stabilization. Low light performance is not crucial to me as I often shoot in outdoor sunny conditions. If it is indoors, i make sure I switch on all the fluorescent lamps. If it is night time with no street lamps, I make sure that my camcorder has an accessory shoe to mount a 20 Watt video light.

However, Canon HV20 does not have that many manual controls as Sony HDR-HC7 HDV camcorder, which retails nationwide at SGD$2500. Reviews also said HV20 gives a cheap, flimsy look, made of cheap plastics, but it scores best among the 4 prevailing year 2007 HDV camcorders in terms of video quality.

I am not intending to buy professional HDV camcorders as I currently have no intention to make money out of videography. Also I don't have the money. ;p

Canon HV20 looks tempting leh. so any one got that? got any good lobang or not? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.