Camcorder advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluz

May 3, 2003
Singapore
homepage.mac.com
Am looking at the Canon MVX10i and the Sony PC330 as my replacement camcorder. Appreciate you sharing your input/comments if you have already done the homework/search. Main application--baby movies. Many thanks.

If you are not really tied in to the straight form factor then I would suggest Panasonic PV-GS70.

I think this model is reasonably small, though not the fit-in-your-pocket type of small, but it has 3 CCDs. Price in US is about US$800.

Thx for recommending the Pana GS70. It looks like a really good one. Do you own one? Comparing the US price, the GS70 price is slightly higher in S'pore at $1750. The Sony 330 looks a really good deal at S$2200 vs the US price of USD1600. I'll probably get the Sony considering that I already have so many accessories. I just hope the 3 MP still-pix is OK-it would be an added bonus.

I did research for 2 weeks for a sub US$1000 camcorder and decided on this model. Placed my order yesterday just before I saw your post, so I though I would suggest that model to you.

The 2 main complaints on this model by reviewers on the internet are poor image stabilization and low-light capability, but all raved about the image quality when there is enough light.

I went to Circuit City to try out the model and the Electronic image stabilization worked well for me. Being a photographer helped a lot, I guess, due to the practice on taking hand-held long exposures. As for low light, being able to shoot in IR mode in total darkness is not important to me, so I don't really care. In the store with indoor lighting, I aimed the camera at dim areas in the store and the image on the LCD looked bright enough for me.

The big retail stores in US sells this model for around US$1000, so it is comparable to the price in Singapore. I ordered mine from www.crutchfield.com, who is running a sale now and I got a $150 instant rebate from their original price of $899. No tax and shipping is free, plus they give a camcorder bag for free.

If you already have a lot of Sony accessories then it might be a better idea for you to stick with Sony. What kind of accessories do you have? Are they totally not workable with other brands? I would guess items like wide/tele converters and video lights should be pretty much universal as long as the mount diemsions are the same.

Good Luck!

Thanks Roygoh again for the info./tips.
For the benefits of others doing the same reseach, i found the Sony wide/tele lenses (both HG 37mm) and the filters to be compatible with the GS70. The other stuff like the Sony Tripods w/Lan-C remotes (I've got 2 of them--one in SG and the other one in the US) and many orig Li batteries split b/n my 2 homes are Sony proprietary.
You reminded me of myself where I would check out the gears in Circuit City etc (or Harvey/Best in SG) and then do mail order later ha ha. Crutchfield, J&R, MacConnection, MacMalls, B&H are my more regular mailorder stores for electronic stuff.
Well I have looked enough and will settle for 2: the Pana S-AV100 an ultra small one for the pocket and the Sony PC330 for normall lugging around.
Happy shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.