Cambodia (Siem Reap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedjog

Aug 11, 2008
Hi I'm planning to go to Cambodia (Siam Reap) on August. Any idea on which area and hotel to stay and some destinations to visit other then Angkor Wat? I'm looking for a budget hotel, 3 star or below. And does anyonw know how to go around there? Is there any reliable tour service that you guys have use before?

There should be many many places to go, unfortunately, you are not advised to roam around yourself. Follow Lonely Planet to give us a start up on accomodation, I presume it is still readily available.

The mines are not, and will not be, completely cleared. It is thus not safe to go off the beaten track into the wild. Even the local would advise you otherwise.

Having said that, there are much local life within Siem Reap (less those pubs...), Angkor's surroundings, Phnom Penh, and few historical site such as killing field(s).

Angkor Wat will not be simply a monument or a monolithic structure, if you have a good guide who can enlighten you with the carvings. You can take days to walk through the history details.

I wouldn't forget the experience with motorcyle taxi, who earned a (US) dollar each trip, and hoped to save enough to enter college.

Hi,

I am planning a trip there as well.

See thread > http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519851

If you don't mind, we could go as a group or share planning materials.

The "crossing bridge" team just went there. Searching the forum should bring up lots of help with pics. Giantcanopy's thread on Cambodia is a good read too.

just bump around lar. cheap accom is almost everywhere. if u get out the airport, will have motor-taxis waiting for you. they will brg you to cheap guesthouses around the main town till the guesthouse u like. think the motorbike-taxi cost 1usd from airport to guesthouse?

for getting around the angko wat, if u like bicycling, u can try, but butt will be painful after half a day of cycling wor. if u dun wanna bike, take a "guide"(actually a driver lar, unless his english damn pro) w motor-dup w u, will cost like 10-20usd a day? not v sure of the rate though, if you like insurance, get lonely planet (can borrow from national lib), which will print all kinds of rate and other activities you can do there.

During my trip to Siem reap, I hired a english speaking driver with a car to drive us around. Charges should be between US25.00 to US35.00 inclusive of petrol. Let me know should you need this driver contact.:D

Red Piano. Is not a hotel but a pretty decent guesthouse. I spent 4 nites there before me & frends decided to throw our last dollars to bunk in Angkor Hotel which was 6 star (in their standard lah!). The service at Red Piano is good, we were pleased. If u need tuk tuk to take u around..., let me know. I can help cos I've got a cambodian friend there. :)

Siem Reap is a small town, you won't get lost! Trust me!

Was there last year. here's the contacts for considerations

nothing to Wow abt... but a decent guest hse within walking distant to the usual hang out.
http://www.mandalayinn.com/

http://cambodiaroadtrip.com/

I highly recommand this guide.
A very knowledgable and caring guy. Give him a chance to show u round.
I'm sure you will enjoy his company !

If you are on a budget... stay in the guesthouses.

Mandalayinn is a good choice. Stayed with them last December for my Trip to Siem Reap.
Most if not all guesthouses have their tour / motor taxi arrangements etc. If you are keen, you can booked with them.

Personally, I've booked my motor taxi thru' my guesthouse as it would be easier (guesthouse do the booking) and safer (no need to bargain or whatever any nonsense). You can actually do away with a guide if the motor taxi rider can speak some English. They can bring you to where you want in Angkor Park or Siem Reap.

If you plan to take motor taxi and are those type who can't stand dust and dirt .... pls get yourself a mask.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I went on a 4D3N tour to Siem Reap just in end Feb this yr. I thought it was good value for $ as there were only 2 of us and we had the tour guide and the mini van driver all to ourselves. Giantcanopy had a very good and informative thread on his Siem reap trip into details of his itinerary, and of 'cos his pics, so as ahbian, both under landscape/travel, also manda ....

Hm...if I'm not wrong. Cambodia has distinct Dry and Wet season: dry from end Nov- May, starts raining from June till Oct/Nov. So not sure if that's good for August. It was very hot by Feb when I was there. Best day was when we got up at 5 am to AWK, walked till 11..boey tahan already...went massage, lunch, napped...then started again at 4pm, when the weather cooled off. It was really really hot. I think when Manda was there it was raining quite a lot....will be diificult to walk around when it's wet.

Night live is in "town"..so if stay aroung the pub/club street near old market will be more interesting at night without paying extra for the transport.

AWK tickets expensive but worth at least 2 day visit (cheaper to get 2 day pass)....should and must visit morning, noon and night.....very different scene.

Hope it helps.

esther

Hi there,

I went on a 4D3N tour to Siem Reap just in end Feb this yr. I thought it was good value for $ as there were only 2 of us and we had the tour guide and the mini van driver all to ourselves. Giantcanopy had a very good and informative thread on his Siem reap trip into details of his itinerary, and of 'cos his pics, so as ahbian, both under landscape/travel, also manda ....

Hm...if I'm not wrong. Cambodia has distinct Dry and Wet season: dry from end Nov- May, starts raining from June till Oct/Nov. So not sure if that's good for August. It was very hot by Feb when I was there. Best day was when we got up at 5 am to AWK, walked till 11..boey tahan already...went massage, lunch, napped...then started again at 4pm, when the weather cooled off. It was really really hot. I think when Manda was there it was raining quite a lot....will be diificult to walk around when it's wet.

Night live is in "town"..so if stay aroung the pub/club street near old market will be more interesting at night without paying extra for the transport.

AWK tickets expensive but worth at least 2 day visit (cheaper to get 2 day pass)....should and must visit morning, noon and night.....very different scene.

Hope it helps.

esther

May I know how much is the package?
Which company is that from?

May I know how much is the package?
Which company is that from?

It was around $800pp but I chose to stay in a 4-5* hotel, which was a big mistake. It was along the airport road, about 10-15 min to 'town' by tutu (tutu very slow, very dusty and not that cheap US$3-6/ returns).
Booked with some small travel agency at people's park ? pearl centre (below Maybank). Cannot remember the name. Just walked in, booked and paid.
But ...definitely December is supposedly the best month to go...Dry (no rain but not so dry yet, now the water level at lake may be very low and smelly) and Cool..cooler.

I consider Siem Reap a very "good place" to visit : 2 hours 'good timing' direct flight , leave Thur return by Sun, relatively safe, and lots to see/learn, besides the photography part. My tour guide and driver were not as $ minded (yet) as some other countries', and extremely flexible with the schedule. Met a big Taiwanese photog group at AWK whilst I was there.

But if leave is not a problem, you may want to spend extra day at AKW.

i stayed at the Steung Siem Reap Hotel for my trip last year... situated very close to the Old Market, convenient access to shops, restaurants and bars... around SGD70/night... best to book through AsiaRooms.com or Agoda.com for better rates...

you can get a driver with minivan for abt US$25/day to drive you around for the day, to places such as Bayon, Angkor Wat...

Siem Reap :thumbsup:

I went there couple of years back. I just chose one of those motor bike waiting outside the airport, agreed with him the price for 3 days at US$50. After that, he just drove me to the town introducing me the different guest house. I stayed at one for US$20 a night. Decent place. And the next day I moved to a cheaper one, at US$10 a night, with option of additional US$1 for hot water and US$1 for aircon. I actually liked the guest house very much. Clean and decent, and just few minutes to the old market. There are quite a lot of them around there, just ask your guide to introduce to you.

Hi, I just came back from Siem Reap this week. Was there for 4D3N. I hired a tour guide named Ratanak (ratanak_eath@yahoo.com ) He's really a nice guy. You can email him about your requirement, and he can take care of the rest. He knows all the places u need to go. If you need any specific details, just pm me.

We went there in december 08, and took a package with Chan brothers. Flew to Siem Reap, and came back to SG from Phnom Penh. Ankor is beautiful, but I think you could try to avoid the touristy seasons, such as december, coz there would be alot of tourists, and I think it makes picture taking so difficult...

And yes, please try to avoid the rainy season...:)

For those going to Siem Reap, I would highly recommend you visit Mcdermott Gallery at the old market. They have some really nice prints on exhibition and sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.