Cambodia in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Dong Moon

May 3, 2004
Great World City, Singapore
Now Jetstar got promo lei since they just open a new route to Cambodia.... I plan to go 10-14 March 2006. Don't know got any khaki or not .. cost $331/person, not including airport tax. I think half of silk air price and quite worth .... :p

Kim Dong Moon said:
Now Jetstar got promo lei since they just open a new route to Cambodia.... I plan to go 10-14 March 2006. Don't know got any khaki or not .. cost $331/person, not including airport tax. I think half of silk air price and quite worth .... :p
Hi buddy!

I'm planning a trip from 31st January to 5th February 2006, using the JetStar Asia flights to Siem Reap. :)

Let's see how SilkAir answers this. Look out for their Free & Easy promotions over the next few months, too. They might get more aggressive now that JetStar Asia has got into the game.

Good for you! :cool:

Yes! I"m hoping that SilkAir will reply.. I'm sure they will. Favorably. :)

In any case, whereas you lose out on some flexibility with budget carriers like jetstar (not being able to change names, and penalty for changing dates), I like the idea that I can now buy a one way ticket to Siem Reap, bus it to Phnom Penh, then bus to Ho Chi Minh from there and fly HCM-Singapore by Tiger.

I'm sure there'll be people who will want to go with you.. especially after Kaywalk's group comes back with their stunning pictures of Angkor..? :p

Sounds exciting since i'm missinf the CNY06 trip organised by kaywalk! Will see the developments by silkair.

skinnylatte said:
In any case, whereas you lose out on some flexibility with budget carriers like jetstar (not being able to change names, and penalty for changing dates), I like the idea that I can now buy a one way ticket to Siem Reap, bus it to Phnom Penh, then bus to Ho Chi Minh from there and fly HCM-Singapore by Tiger.
Yes, that's cool! It's really opened up more possibilities.

skinnylatte said:
I'm sure there'll be people who will want to go with you.. especially after Kaywalk's group comes back with their stunning pictures of Angkor..? :p
Note: For that offer, must book by 27 November, which is two days away. At least that's what it says on their web site. My group's pics will come too late to support this promotion. :sticktong

Kim, I can lend you the Lonely Planet Cambodia if you like, a little later. Don't go and buy one har. :nono:

Upz for you. :)

Silkair did have a promotion last month to Siam Reap. It's even cheap than JetStar's $331. SilkAir's F&E package started from $338 for a 3D2N trip with accomodations in a 4* hotel. I took the 4D3N package and I paid only $428 with accommodation.

So technically JetStar's tickets is not really a bargain. Do watch out for SilkAir's Siam Reap promotion, do a comparison first.

Xing said:
Silkair did have a promotion last month to Siam Reap. It's even cheap than JetStar's $331. SilkAir's F&E package started from $338 for a 3D2N trip with accomodations in a 4* hotel. I took the 4D3N package and I paid only $428 with accommodation.

So technically JetStar's tickets is not really a bargain. Do watch out for SilkAir's Siam Reap promotion, do a comparison first.

Yes, but one can't compare SilkAir's promotion package, because you can't have that all the time, and you most definitely won't have that during high season. Like how Singapore Airlines has $500 tickets (taxes excl.) to most parts of India in August period, but in December will definitely be double that, whereas you can still fly Jetstar to Calcutta for less than $500 with taxes in.

Also, it's a totally different ballpark.. For some people's style of travel, it's the flexbility of sorting out their own accommodation and not needing a min. no of people to go, as well as being able to head for somewhere else without worrying about needing to return to catch the returning flight or buy a more expensive open-jaw ticket. The extra (428 - 331=) $100 you paid for the package over the airfare is also equivalent to a week's stay in mid-range Cambodian guesthouses..

:) My 'ticket' was $15.. bangkok to border, $5. border to siem reap, $10.
butt ache from bangkok-aranyaprathet-poipet-siem reap, and facing the Cambodian mob of touts at Siem Reap bus station.... priceless.

skinnylatte said:
Yes, but one can't compare SilkAir's promotion package, because you can't have that all the time, and you most definitely won't have that during high season. Like how Singapore Airlines has $500 tickets (taxes excl.) to most parts of India in August period, but in December will definitely be double that, whereas you can still fly Jetstar to Calcutta for less than $500 with taxes in.

Also, it's a totally different ballpark.. For some people's style of travel, it's the flexbility of sorting out their own accommodation and not needing a min. no of people to go, as well as being able to head for somewhere else without worrying about needing to return to catch the returning flight or buy a more expensive open-jaw ticket. The extra (428 - 331=) $100 you paid for the package over the airfare is also equivalent to a week's stay in mid-range Cambodian guesthouses..
EXACTLY! ;) Although it is nice to know that promotions for Free & Easy packages can get you a nice hotel at a better price, the conditions imposed may not suit all kinds of travellers.

I hope Kim pardons me for the OT. :sticktong Having been primarily a solo independent traveller, I have never had the opportunity to make use of GV2 or GV4 air fares (i.e. at least 2 or 4 to travel), nor have I usually found Free & Easy packages to suit my needs. And I have not found that staying in 4* hotels makes my trips super-delightful. :bsmilie:

skinnylatte said:
:) My 'ticket' was $15.. bangkok to border, $5. border to siem reap, $10.
butt ache from bangkok-aranyaprathet-poipet-siem reap, and facing the Cambodian mob of touts at Siem Reap bus station.... priceless.
In contrast, my posh style of travelling has allowed me to meet a 50-year-old Israeli woman in my hostel room, who had planned the trip in the hope of attending a free Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in Las Vegas. She showed me her newspaper cutout of the concert announcement in Hebrew, from four months back! Priceless.

But hey, if a promotion does come which suits your needs, that's great! I'm just saying, nice hotel, great... but that does not an unforgettable travel experience maketh. ;)

Hi,

I planning a trip around late Jan or early Feb too. I might get my company (a local travel agent) to arrange my booking. According to my colleague, there might be some bargain available around Dec 05 with a new airline (Some Cambodia airline). It will cost around $400-$500 for 3D full board package to Siam Reap at 4* hotel. Will post more inf once I got more details. Hope this could be an alternative for those planning a trip there. :)

Circle of ight photographers are also planning a photo trip to Siem Reap in Mar 06. If u r keen, u may join us.....We got logistic and accoomodation sorted out and is likely it will be a cross country photo outing with other foreign photo clubs...like the Crossing Bridges trip.

Hi all,

The opening of Siem Reap's (SR) airspace (finally!!!) to more carriers is definitely doing us a lot more benefit. If you read the papers today its imminent that we will enjoy cheaper pt-2-pt flights throughout many parts of the world very soon which is all good news for us.

Kaywalk -
hope you had most of your logistics (x8) sorted out. 31st Jan - 5th Feb seems like good dates but I assume you guys will not visit Phnom Penh (PP) then as there are no flights out of PP on 5th Feb.

In any case my flight details has been confirmed (see! your subscription is so popular that I am the odd one out) and I will be in Cambodia from 27th Jan to 6th Feb. Upz for you....

Arriving SR on 27th but leaving PP on 6th instead. Will catch the ferry across Tonle Sap to PP. I will not push further east to Ho Chi Minh this time round but perhaps next trip with you troops *hint* hehe....

Of course as I have earlier advised I will be travelling alone but not going to be too adventurous this time round....i hope i return intact..

Any kind souls visiting Cambodia on the dates I have mentioned?

Cheers,

AC

Kim Dong Moon said:
I may be interested to go then as i think i can spare the time. :)

genuinebuyerplease said:
Kaywalk -
hope you had most of your logistics (x8) sorted out. 31st Jan - 5th Feb seems like good dates but I assume you guys will not visit Phnom Penh (PP) then as there are no flights out of PP on 5th Feb.

In any case my flight details has been confirmed (see! your subscription is so popular that I am the odd one out) and I will be in Cambodia from 27th Jan to 6th Feb. Upz for you....

Arriving SR on 27th but leaving PP on 6th instead. Will catch the ferry across Tonle Sap to PP. I will not push further east to Ho Chi Minh this time round but perhaps next trip with you troops *hint* hehe....
Genuine, best post this in the Tomb Raiders thread, hehe. Kim, I'm so sorry. :embrass: :embrass:

Anyway, since you're asking here, we've booked our tickets. Yes, Siem Reap only. I'm still in the midst arranging the rest of the stuff. Took a break from it to go watch Harry Potter today. :sticktong

*Kim Dong Moon whacks kaywalk with badminton racquet.*

genuinebuyerplease said:
Any kind souls visiting Cambodia on the dates I have mentioned?
I'm quite kind...no meh?

*Kim Dong Moon disagrees.* :bsmilie:

Of course of course....

Ok guess I will be the advance party and reccee around and lay all the ground work....

By the way...are you troops staying at Wat Bo, Psar Chas or...? If you think sensitive may just PM me...

Cheers,

AC

genuinebuyerplease said:
Of course of course....

Ok guess I will be the advance party and reccee around and lay all the ground work....

By the way...are you troops staying at Wat Bo, Psar Chas or...? If you think sensitive may just PM me...

Cheers,

AC
Let's keep Kim Dong Moon's thread clean. Will PM you. :embrass: :embrass:

ailyntay said:
Hi,

I planning a trip around late Jan or early Feb too. I might get my company (a local travel agent) to arrange my booking. According to my colleague, there might be some bargain available around Dec 05 with a new airline (Some Cambodia airline). It will cost around $400-$500 for 3D full board package to Siam Reap at 4* hotel. Will post more inf once I got more details. Hope this could be an alternative for those planning a trip there. :)

I got my booking done for 4D3N Siem Reap full board package at $699 twin sharing on SilkAir before tax and visa (estimate about $150). My colleague told me that the new Cambodia airline will be delay due to some reason but the Silkair package will be better option. There is 3D2N package at $599 but I op for 4D package. Those interested and have budget could PM me for details (a bit sensitive to post here). The offer till end of Dec for travel from Dec to Mar 05 (exclude CNY).:cool:

Wish I could take up more adverturous route like the rest but only have 4 days leave to spare lah :( . Anyway, for those (me too) going there, have a good trip and enjoy! :cheergal:

Status
Not open for further replies.