Cambodia anyone ? (13th - 15th Aug) Looking for Photog buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
Hi there,
currently on holiday. Am hoping to visit cambodia to take some pics at Angkor Wat. Would love to have a buddy to accompany me on this trip (makes the logistics easier).

Do PM me if you are interested. Nothing is confirmed yet. So feel free to suggest any plans you might have.

TIA Raymond

sigh..if only i could take leave...i would definitely join you ........

good luck ray!!

sigh..if only i could take leave...i would definitely join you ........

good luck ray!!

thanks man! no prob... i heard from some of the users that there's a local guide there that's highly recommended... anyone familiar with the thread? can point it out to me? that's greatly appreciated! TIA.

thanks man! no prob... i heard from some of the users that there's a local guide there that's highly recommended... anyone familiar with the thread? can point it out to me? that's greatly appreciated! TIA.

Hi, below is the useful info:

http://www.angkorhotels.org/accommodation.php

Kim Leng was my driver, he is a nice person and can speak english very well. You can email him and ask him to arrange accomodation and transport for you :
sangkimleng@yahoo.com

Some photos tp share:
http://my3rdeye.zenfolio.com/p129035991/

Hi there,
currently on holiday. Am hoping to visit cambodia to take some pics at Angkor Wat. Would love to have a buddy to accompany me on this trip (makes the logistics easier).

Do PM me if you are interested. Nothing is confirmed yet. So feel free to suggest any plans you might have.

TIA Raymond
hey there..d trip sounds interesting..r u lookin for a buddy or someone who have been there?

Planning to go there during December. By the way, Good Luck. :D

hey there..d trip sounds interesting..r u lookin for a buddy or someone who have been there?

i'm looking for someone to go together with me... preferably a guy since it's easier with the accoms. Would prefer someone willing to wake up early as i'll be heading out to catch the sunrise on the few mornings i'm there. Yups... do let me know if you are interested. As it stands, seems like it's $231 Sgd for flights leaving tue morning and returning friday morning. Tuk Tuk per day with local guide is US $13. US$40 for 3 day temple pass. And the rest is pretty much accoms. hope that the additional info helps...

am planning to go there later this year too.. but 13 - 15 Aug is a little too rush for me.

good luck for your trip, bro and bring back good photos to share :)

am planning to go there later this year too.. but 13 - 15 Aug is a little too rush for me.

good luck for your trip, bro and bring back good photos to share :)

thanks! just bought my tickets... it's gonna be 14th Aug to 17th Aug... most probably asking this Heang guy (local guide sourced out from CS) to help settle my accoms and transport... he'll also be my guide... btw, it's USD $18 per nite for accoms i think... since i'll be staying alone... it's pretty pricey... but i think i have always wanted to go somewhere alone... this would be a nice chance to do so...

hehehe...i hope that it'll be gd weather all the way! raining just sucks... lol... yups...

just a question... as i have said... planning to hire a local guide... seems like there are a few that are recommended by the bros in CS... having a fun time or not is secondary... but a few people that i have spoken to have cautioned me that some of the black sheep might just bring me out to some remote location on my last nite and threaten to leave me there unless i give them all my $ or my gear etc... how can i best prevent this from happening to me? Any bros have similar unfortunate experience? can share? hopefully the guide that i engage in the end would be rather nice and honest and reliable... cheers!

thanks! just bought my tickets... it's gonna be 14th Aug to 17th Aug... most probably asking this Heang guy (local guide sourced out from CS) to help settle my accoms and transport... he'll also be my guide... btw, it's USD $18 per nite for accoms i think... since i'll be staying alone... it's pretty pricey... but i think i have always wanted to go somewhere alone... this would be a nice chance to do so...

hehehe...i hope that it'll be gd weather all the way! raining just sucks... lol... yups...

May you have good weather bro~ =)

just a question... as i have said... planning to hire a local guide... seems like there are a few that are recommended by the bros in CS... having a fun time or not is secondary... but a few people that i have spoken to have cautioned me that some of the black sheep might just bring me out to some remote location on my last nite and threaten to leave me there unless i give them all my $ or my gear etc... how can i best prevent this from happening to me? Any bros have similar unfortunate experience? can share? hopefully the guide that i engage in the end would be rather nice and honest and reliable... cheers!

The guides there are licensed, and wears orange-brown top as uniform, while the tuk-tuk drivers wears a vest with number behind them, So i guess they must be registered also. Maybe you can ask for their particulars and leave it with the guesthouse? But of course, getting a tried and tested drivers/guide through recommendation by the bros here or through your guesthouse is still the safest bet i guess...

The guides there are licensed, and wears orange-brown top as uniform, while the tuk-tuk drivers wears a vest with number behind them, So i guess they must be registered also. Maybe you can ask for their particulars and leave it with the guesthouse? But of course, getting a tried and tested drivers/guide through recommendation by the bros here or through your guesthouse is still the safest bet i guess...

thanks bro... yah loh... word of mouth seriously much better lah... i think there are now 2 guides that are recommended on CS... i've kinda gone quite in depth with him liaoz... just wanting to check with the recommender that he's ok and wun do anything farnie... coz i dun think he's licensed one...

I think generally they are quite an honest group of ppl.
I had taken one tuk tuk which i got from the street in WEE morning like 2 am type.
We were lost in some places with NO street lights! but then he managed to get me to the right place in the end.
Though i was ready to whack him over the head, and RUN!

So just be smart and don't be gong.
READY for any situation!

I think generally they are quite an honest group of ppl.
I had taken one tuk tuk which i got from the street in WEE morning like 2 am type.
We were lost in some places with NO street lights! but then he managed to get me to the right place in the end.
Though i was ready to whack him over the head, and RUN!

So just be smart and don't be gong.
READY for any situation!

thanks sis!

I was there last year and had a good time. I think ppl there are generally ok and friendly despite having lived through terrible times during the Pol Pot era. Almost everyone has a relative or friend who was killed or maimed during those times. But the mainly Buddhist culture of these people show in their rather easy-going nature - I think they treasure their peace today. At these places I negotiate upfront but not too hard. Then at the end of each day, give the driver a small tip - say $1 or $2. Average tuk-tuk rental per day is USD 10 for the main temples. For the wider perimeter temples, USD 15. If you go for the further distanced ones (30km away and further), it will cost several times more, and you have to get a taxi or minibus.

U need only two days to cover the main temples + outer perimeter. So USD 25 max. I think now is off-season (I went in Nov which is near peak i think), rooms for singles can be gotten from USD 10 onwards - I think USD 15 is max. Most cases, the bed is a double anyway.

* Add : forgot to mention, in my case, the tuk-tuk driver also served as the guide. Of course, don't expect to get a commentary on the history of the temples. But the drivers know the place/temple names, how to go and which sequence. Read the tour guide books for the ones not to miss - the usual being the Tomb Raider tree. Another place to consider is the stilt kampong on the lake Tonle Sap.

I was there last year and had a good time. I think ppl there are generally ok and friendly despite having lived through terrible times during the Pol Pot era. Almost everyone has a relative or friend who was killed or maimed during those times. At these places I negotiate upfront but not too hard. Then at the end of each day, give the driver a small fee - say $1 or $2. Average tuk-tuk rental per day is USD 10 for the main temples. For the wider perimeter temples, USD 15. If you go for the further distanced ones (30km away and further), it will cost several times more, and you have to get a taxi or minibus.

U need only two days to cover the main temples + outer perimeter. So USD 25 max. I think now is now off-season (I went in Nov which is near peak i think), rooms for singles can be gotten from USD 10 onwards - I think USD 15 is max. Most cases, the bed is a double anyway.

* Add : forgot to mention, in my case, the tuk-tuk driver also served as the guide. Of course, don't expect to get a commentary on the history of the temples. But the drivers knows the place/temple names, how to go and which sequence. Read the tour guide books for the ones not to miss - the usual being the Tomb Raider tree.

thanks! i think that your prices are quite low. they quoted me USD13 per day for tuk tuk. Rooms (aircon) are USD18 per nite for single i think. it's not much more i guess... will report back on how the guide is... cheers mate!

Sorry to OT in your thread..
I am going to Cambodia tonight for 5 days.

Can someone confirm what kind of electrical connectors they use.
Will the Singapore power plugs work there or we need some adaptor ?
Want to be sure my battery chargers work there.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.