Calm Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

die Blende

Mar 25, 2006
Singapore/Malaysia
Hi,
took an unplaned trip down to Changi Boardwalk 2 days ago with my family
was a very cloudy day around 6pm,idea was just to relax and enjoy some quality time with family.. as i was gazing out to the see i saw this image where the sea was quite calm but not to say still the view was nice..looking towards the horizon at the housing estate i can imagine people coming home after a tough day at work..kinda very relaxing then my eye caught the warning buoy and suddenly i felt quite gloomy..it dawned on me that admist the calm there can be some unpleasant things waiting to happen...this is the best how i can describe what went through my mind at the momment sorry if its long winded..:embrass:

now the shooting...
since it was a very cloudy day..exposure was kinda difficult
no drama in the clouds
no reflections in the water
no sunrays,sunburst.....tried a few exposure and WB combination all un satisfying..
so decided to bracket some shots and blend/HDR them to the kinda mood that i got when gazing out at the sea...

this is what i came up with.....

all C&C are welcome to help me improve...
thanks and regards
905779493_552fad919b_o.jpg

some comments...
1)i tried to straighten the horizon but by straightening the horizon the buoy and rocks look awkwardly slanted so decided on straightening the buoy

2)the noise/grain is deliberate wanted the old gloomy sureal look(what you guys think of it?)

i would had included more of the sea than the sky... As the lines of waters seems more interesting to the eye.

i would had included more of the sea than the sky... As the lines of waters seems more interesting to the eye.

thanks for the input...actually i cropped of quite a portion of the bottom due to very distracting wooden poles..but will definitely look into it...(am going down again soon to reshoot... this time fully prepared;p)

any more suggestions..

Everything looks too cluttered in the middle. The buoy would have been the focus point of the shot. And it would have been perfect if it was lighted and the reflection of the beam was caught in the lens and in the reflection of the water. That would have been nicer. But everything looks a little cluttered and flat at the moment. Your post treatment though, is nice... gave me the feel of "dead calm"... with emphasis on the word "dead"... this feel is almost horror movie... I like it.

Everything looks too cluttered in the middle. The buoy would have been the focus point of the shot. And it would have been perfect if it was lighted and the reflection of the beam was caught in the lens and in the reflection of the water. That would have been nicer. But everything looks a little cluttered and flat at the moment. Your post treatment though, is nice... gave me the feel of "dead calm"... with emphasis on the word "dead"... this feel is almost horror movie... I like it.

point noted...do have to agree with you that the middle is quite cluttered..i tried to bring out the focus on the buoy by sturating a bit on the color doens really seems to work i see..

thanks for the pointers...
regards

point noted...do have to agree with you that the middle is quite cluttered..i tried to bring out the focus on the buoy by sturating a bit on the color doens really seems to work i see..

thanks for the pointers...
regards

You are most welcome. Hope to see new pictures soon. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.