calling PS experts, how to achieve this colour tone?

dark cloud

Jun 5, 2010
2hsaq7o.png

dunno leh. seems like just a bad overcast of grey...

i see if i can do something first then reply u:rolleyes:

and here it is...

testing.jpg

if this is the effect ur looking for...

1: adjust the curves so as to bring out the max details while providing suitable contrast in photoshop first.
2: adjust the saturation and desaturate it a lil.
3: add a layer of black. set to a low opacity.
4: draw 2 black rectangles on top and bottom

i suggest that blue curve shld be adjusted till u get a stronger shade. cause mine not so strong i think

Last edited:
If you own a video editing software like APP(adobe premiere pro) or FCP(final cut pro) play around with the 3way colour correction settings.

Looks more like a cooler white balance adjustment, and a slight decrease in saturation.

Low Contrast - Spreads light from highlights to darker areas; leaves bright areas bright; lowers contrast, mutes colors. Makes videos look more like film! Available in several grades.
from tiffen

Could this be the answer? if it is... then i think the filter rocks... bcuz in sch i did a few video work, trying to achieve this kind of cinematic "white balance" effect is quite a pain in post production especially from scene to scene where the lighting is different... and albeit trial-and-error, v tedious.

from tiffen

Could this be the answer? if it is... then i think the filter rocks... bcuz in sch i did a few video work, trying to achieve this kind of cinematic "white balance" effect is quite a pain in post production especially from scene to scene where the lighting is different... and albeit trial-and-error, v tedious.

=.= i wanna chop ur head off. i thought u meant in photoshop.

and yes u could use filters... but usually ppl do it in post edit. 1: incase u dun want the effect later on, u can always use the raw footage. one u add a filter, the lost colors are lost.

check out supernatural the series. they use the same color cast as shown in ur screeny. and i think they do it in post edit too cause i seen their gag reels.

maybe we should have a test, can someone get a standard pic and we try working to this cinematic feel on pp?

maybe we should have a test, can someone get a standard pic and we try working to this cinematic feel on pp?

sure. use my nonya kueh. i mean plastic in the rain.

lowres2.jpg

pls edit to ur full happiness. i allow the use of this photo for only in this thread:thumbsup:

and here it is...

testing.jpg

1: adjust the curves so as to bring out the max details while providing suitable contrast in photoshop first.

i suggest that blue curve shld be adjusted till u get a stronger shade. cause mine not so strong i think
looking a bit green in comparison... throw in a touch of magenta with curves and you should be ok...

looking a bit green in comparison... throw in a touch of magenta with curves and you should be ok...

did that while having a tummy ache and trying to bear the pain. cin cai upload then i ran to toilet:sweat:
i suggest u take the one i uploaded, the original and try edit. lets have a mini sharing here

Another way to do it: Open a hue/sat adjustment layer and use the colorize option, with settings about like this ... then lower layer opacity. (I used 55%)

huesat.jpg

bluetint.jpg

Last edited:
sure. use my nonya kueh. i mean plastic in the rain.

lowres2.jpg

pls edit to ur full happiness. i allow the use of this photo for only in this thread:thumbsup:

Tried with some curves adjustment. Maybe we did some on portraits should be better and easier to compare.

4751211236_230288c9d0_b.jpg

Another way to do it: Open a hue/sat adjustment layer and use the colorize option, with settings about like this ... then lower layer opacity. (I used 55%)

huesat.jpg

bluetint.jpg

nice technique. maybe u should try lowering opacity to 30 and overlay on the original to see the effect? bcuz i think the skin tone is too blue liao

nice technique. maybe u should try lowering opacity to 30 and overlay on the original to see the effect? bcuz i think the skin tone is too blue liao

You could adjust it to anything you like. I was just aiming to get as close as possible to the skin tones in the original post, which are quite blue.

skintones.jpg

Last edited:

and here it is...

testing.jpg

Draw 2 black rectangles on top and bottom! I Like that haha for completeness!

is it the IR tutorial way of channel swopping?