Calling out to Bike Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

janzguy81

Nov 14, 2003
Hougang
photobucket.com
Hi I have intention of getting an entry-level bike for leisure use. I have a couple of bikes in mind right now - considering Giant and Hasa brands in particular. In terms of performance and parts eg. gears etc, which is better?

Pls advise me on my choice, thanks! :)

1. Hasa Comp 1.0 - ~$220-$260

COMP1.0--D.jpg

2. Hasa T9 - $250

3. Giant Boulder - ~$320 Grey, ~$350 Silver, ~$380 Black

BOULDER-Black.jpg

chey.. i tot Moto Bike.. and I saw HASA I tot you meant HAYABUSA! :sweatsm:

not expert but i actually own a comp 1 so i can tell u the cons.
the seat is a killer for guys. esp for short guys cos i have to sit near the edge of the seat.
the gear shift is abit slow for my liking.. i have tried thumbshifters that were faster..
some of the chrome parts started rusting after long storage :(
i dunno if i got ripped off but the pedals that i had were not very smooth too.. my old steel bike had better turning haha but then again maybe its at the cost of some weight ..
but the pros is that it is really a nice cheap and light bike. so for the money i paid for it I really can't complain..

slaam said:
not expert but i actually own a comp 1 so i can tell u the cons.
the seat is a killer for guys. esp for short guys cos i have to sit near the edge of the seat.
the gear shift is abit slow for my liking.. i have tried thumbshifters that were faster..
some of the chrome parts started rusting after long storage :(
i dunno if i got ripped off but the pedals that i had were not very smooth too.. my old steel bike had better turning haha but then again maybe its at the cost of some weight ..
but the pros is that it is really a nice cheap and light bike. so for the money i paid for it I really can't complain..

Why not buy a better seat?

Id go with Giant

if ur looking just for leisure ride-i mean, go to market, those kinds- i suggest u buy tt hasa..
if u wanna ride leisure, at east coast park, i suggest buy tt giant. cost shldnt be very expensive.. its worth ur buy too. HASA is heavy. the suspension too, is sticky. Giant is light, the suspension fork is quite ok. yupz

forgt to add..
u can feel the weight diff between the two bikes. obviously, the Giant is lighter. Cheers mate! take care while riding.

yanyewkay said:
chey.. i tot Moto Bike.. and I saw HASA I tot you meant HAYABUSA! :sweatsm:

hahah.. :bsmilie:
same same..

janzguy81 said:
Hi I have intention of getting an entry-level bike for leisure use.

Recreational Cycling is practical for people with various fitness levels and far more benign excerise than jogging. Have been riding MTB for a while and find it heavy, but still commute to work daily with it.

Recently went for an entry level street bike which weight around 10 - 11kg and wow, what a different it makes, fast and smooth. I don't like off road as cleaning the bike after each ride is a headache and time consuming to me.

I ride for leisure and for health purposes and spotted the Monotine FR700C at a very affordable price from a dealer who also stock foldable bikes. You can view it at Gnee Hong in Bencoolen Street. :thumbsup:

--------------------------
Cycling 30 minutes per day
adds significantly to your life expectancy as
you can breath clean fresh air, keep you firm,
help you feel great, live longer and feel younger too. :)

Personally, I would go for the Giant. It's no absolute rule, but more money can buy you a better bike. It's really the components that will make your ride. It's terrible to have to mess with gears that won't go in properly. If you are just doing a little liesure riding then either is really going to seem fine. After a month of steady riding and the tuning that it came with will be gone and then you will find out the difference.

It would be pretty hard to tell which part is better because from a pic, there are alot of things that no one could tell. Things like the hubs, breaks, shifters used.
However, since all the bikes are about the same range, y not just ride them and feel which one u like better.
As for Giant bikes breaking easily, it is not very accurate. All bike frames break. Giant seems to be have a bad name in it because it is selling very large volume. So, when ur volume is high, u get a higher number of frame breaking, in absolute terms. The boulder frame should not be using any butted tube, so there is little fear that it would break.

If you are looking for frames with good wielding, you have to increase your budget by a lot more than 5 times. And that will only get you a "low end" frame with good wielding :sweat:

P.S. I am a mountain bikee but I dont ride a giant bike

+evenstar said:
oh anyway, can someone tell me the use of having an extra suspension system under the seat?

reduce shock impact when you go down some bump so that your butt wont hurt.

Hey i'm looking for a bike too, the giant looks good,
any idea where to go to buy bikes?

I guess not the supermarket GIANT right? :bsmilie:

actually i'm looking for a cheap street bike, the kind with thin wheels, or maybe a hybrid?

Any comments on hybrids?

Thanks ;)

Koelsch said:
really please go do more research first. dethangel said giant bikes really cannot make it. their frame and wielded not that good. street bikes with thin wheels? road bikes? single speed bikes? i'm planning to get one of those as well. maybe after my iceskates. haha. whats your budget?

around $250.... but i think i should just stick to the normal mountain bikes with front suspension. But i awlays wanted front and rear suspension. :bsmilie:
dreams....

SianZronG said:
around $250.... but i think i should just stick to the normal mountain bikes with front suspension. But i awlays wanted front and rear suspension. :bsmilie:
dreams....

Actually, full suspension bikes aren't that expensive. Managed to get my MTB with Shimano 21-Speed gears, full-suspension fork and spring coils, front disc brakes at only $199 in Mustafa.

PICT3837b.jpg

Not too bad considering the fact that it costs only $199. The suspension is REALLY GOOD. However, the Shimano gears on my bike ain't that smooth. Gets kinda cranky and doesn't shift quickly enough for my liking.

With regards to bikes breaking in two, I have a first hand experience with Aleoca. Comes with full-suspension and 5 yrs warranty. But the darn bike broke into three pieces within 15mins of riding up a gentle gradient just behind the American School in Woodlands. Had to carry the three pieces all the way home.

When the shop came to check out the bike, the first question to me was : "How heavy are you???"

Considering the fact that I've put on some more kgs and this el-cheapo bike is still going strong, might wanna check out the bikes at Mustafa.

Now that I've kenna the cycling bug already, thinking of buying either the Nucleon or Argon 18. Gotta start saving for either one of these beauties.

oversigt_TTtriframes1-argon18Mercur.gif

nucleon-st.jpg

Goto www.togoparts.com.sg and sign up. It's a local website dedicated to cyclists.
Hope this helps

Koelsch said:
really please go do more research first. dethangel said giant bikes really cannot make it. their frame and wielded not that good. street bikes with thin wheels? road bikes? single speed bikes? i'm planning to get one of those as well. maybe after my iceskates. haha. whats your budget?

Please do not quote me on that.

Secondly, i'm no bike expert.

Anyway purchase whatever is within your budget. Try giving Scott bikes a look, its pretty decent as well, another brand is Wheeler.

Good luck in your search. $250 will seriously not get you anywhere and anything, but perhaps the ones you stated in your post. Good luck.

Interesting.. the Nucleon frame in the last link you posted looks similar to an offering by Nicolai ... :think:

It is a Nicolai. Really cool frames !
Really tough finding a dealer in SG that stocks the Nucleon ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.