Calling out to Bike Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Kahuna said:
I saw my friend riding a Giant and I tot it should be at least 4 figures :sweat:

GIANT is everywhere in Taiwan (made there too). they have low end and high end models. the lowest of their mades are even comparable to those silly Aleocas in Carrefour. The higher end models are like indeed a few Ks.

This reminds me a few years back when i ride for around 20km in a mountain bike too... hmm.. but now too old liao...envy urs....!!!!

Hi I am the threadstarter. I really appreciate your advices.

To elaborate more on my needs, my definition of leisure riding is simple - cycling to nearby shopping malls and perhaps a 4-5 hr non-stop cycle once a month to further places.

As you can see, I really limit myself to a small budget - $200+ is in a healthy range, $300+ my heart already starts to ache...well...I also need to save up more for future lens :bsmilie:

I have visited 2 shops, namely Tiong Hin@Hougang and Chapter 2@AMK and have done some reading on Giant and Hasa bikes..thus my choices for these 2 brands. Or is there any other brand/model u can recommend me (within my budget, of cos).

Both bikes of my consideration use Shimano parts - so I presume they should be ok. From the feedback I have gathered so far, most would advise me getting a Giant bike. Now the dilemma is, should I spend $60 more just to get the colour of bike that I like? There are 3 colours for the Giant Boulder, Silver - $350, Grey - $320 and Black - $380 :(

Does forking out extra cash just for a colour I like justifiable..hmm...well I can also just get a $250 Hasa T9 and spend more on accessories.

Please share your expertise with a fellow clubsnapper who really wants to expand his area of photography, now with his new upcoming bike, thanks! :cool:

Raychan > your bike looks really cool! A real steal for that price, with brake disc somemore!

To those who intends to get a bike too, y not add me on msn janzguy@yahoo.com. We can share some info or even get bikes together if u're interested, probably can get a better deal. I live in the North-East, Hougang.

janzguy81 said:

To elaborate more on my needs, my definition of leisure riding is simple - cycling to nearby shopping malls and perhaps a 4-5 hr non-stop cycle once a month to further places.

As you can see, I really limit myself to a small budget - $200+ is in a healthy range, $300+ my heart already starts to ache...well...I also need to save up more for future lens :bsmilie:

I have visited 2 shops, namely Tiong Hin@Hougang and Chapter 2@AMK and have done some reading on Giant and Hasa bikes..thus my choices for these 2 brands. Or is there any other brand/model u can recommend me (within my budget, of cos).

Both bikes of my consideration use Shimano parts - so I presume they should be ok. From the feedback I have gathered so far, most would advise me getting a Giant bike. Now the dilemma is, should I spend $60 more just to get the colour of bike that I like? There are 3 colours for the Giant Boulder, Silver - $350, Grey - $320 and Black - $380 :(

Does forking out extra cash just for a colour I like justifiable..hmm...well I can also just get a $250 Hasa T9 and spend more on accessories.

Please share your expertise with a fellow clubsnapper who really wants to expand his area of photography, now with his new upcoming bike, thanks! :cool:

Raychan > your bike looks really cool! A real steal for that price, with brake disc somemore!

To those who intends to get a bike too, y not add me on msn janzguy@yahoo.com. We can share some info or even get bikes together if u're interested, probably can get a better deal. I live in the North-East, Hougang.

here's my 2 cents...

given that you have a very limited budget, my advice would be to buy the best you can afford. And in this case, i'd advice on the giant. well established brand, reasonable componentry, cheap yet reliable.

since you seem to be just starting out, don't worry about disc brakes, 24 / 27 speed, super duper hyper glide etc. the most important thing on a bike is the frame. everything else is just attached to it and they can be changed later. i used a steel framed, zero suspension, 21 speed, cantilever brake (yes, cantilever) beauty for years, rode it all around singapore, malaysia and indonesia. the only thing that was replaced on a regular basis were tyres, chain and brake shoes.

one other thing, if the shop tell you it's more expensive to buy the black painted model than the silver one, there's no such thing. the only thing that will make a difference in price is the level of componentry, not the colour. if the bikes have the same components, but only different colour frames, there should be no price difference, and don't accept any reason they try to give you. "Oh, the black is more expensive because it's shiny and metalic looking, thus more difficult to apply." that's crap. it's more expensive because more people like black bikes.

ride on!

patch17 said:
here's my 2 cents...

given that you have a very limited budget, my advice would be to buy the best you can afford. And in this case, i'd advice on the giant. well established brand, reasonable componentry, cheap yet reliable.

since you seem to be just starting out, don't worry about disc brakes, 24 / 27 speed, super duper hyper glide etc. the most important thing on a bike is the frame. everything else is just attached to it and they can be changed later. i used a steel framed, zero suspension, 21 speed, cantilever brake (yes, cantilever) beauty for years, rode it all around singapore, malaysia and indonesia. the only thing that was replaced on a regular basis were tyres, chain and brake shoes.

one other thing, if the shop tell you it's more expensive to buy the black painted model than the silver one, there's no such thing. the only thing that will make a difference in price is the level of componentry, not the colour. if the bikes have the same components, but only different colour frames, there should be no price difference, and don't accept any reason they try to give you. "Oh, the black is more expensive because it's shiny and metalic looking, thus more difficult to apply." that's crap. it's more expensive because more people like black bikes.

ride on!

That's useful info, tks! Well, the uncle at Tiong Hin said the Black boulder has a slightly different specifications (though i dun really know what he means) and it is made in Sg or something like that, hence it is more expensive than the other Grey model he is selling. Hmm...

If you are really looking into Giant bikes, there is a Giant distributor in Bt Timah Road (before 6th Avenue just besides Guthrie House). If you are looking for good bikes which are around the $250 plus price range, Treknology has some around this price too although the place is quite far from Hougang. It is afterall a reputable and huge company.

I limited myself to $200-250 too as I do not know if I am really keen into cycling. Therefore, bought the cheapest bike just to "test water" first....

Now that I've confirmed that I really like to get my feet wet, I don't mind splurging a few $K on a really nice bike. Think you'll probably wanna get some cycling attire and cycling shoes to complete the whole ensemble if you are keen

. Although I would like to get myself a really light bike like those Carbon Fiber or Titanium bike, I'm worried about it breaking under my weight. Incidentally, I'm at a perfect weight..100kg (100%):bsmilie:

Used to be > 100kg (now you know why my first Aleoca lasted only 15mins)

When buying a bike, dun be shy to ask the shop for a 'test ride' around the block. Test out the gear change and pedals. Not all Shimano gears are built the same. If the gears are difficult to shift, suggest you try and choose another bike as you'll need to shift gears periodically. The last thing you need is a blistering palm and thumb.

Hope you get your dream bike soon !
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

janzguy81 said:

Make sure you have a high quality secure thick bicycle lock when parking at shopping malls or at the MRT stations. Many bikes parked at these places were stolen. When riding for long period of time make sure you have a comfortable saddle else your butt will suffer in pain. You will need to add a small budget to change the saddle. Don't compromise on this one most important item.

I started out with a hardtail similiar to the one you have in mind but at even a smaller budget of only S$150. It has only a front suspension and adding a pair of mudguard, front basket, rear stand with basket, a bicycle bell, a V-stand, front and back light, a helmet and a new comfortable "Velo" saddle push my budget to about S$270.

The lighter bike will be your obvious choice and choose the dealer who you think is more helpful in giving you the necessary information that you want. The Giant has a more longer history and has many frame sizes to choose from. Make sure you get a good fit for a more riding comfort (frame size, saddle height etc).

The reality is that you don't pay more with different colours. Get the colour you want from another dealer or choose another bike from a different manufacturer. As for Shimano parts used in both the Giant and the Hasa, find out if the parts are similair. Usually these are the lower end from Shimano.

Spend more on the required accessories to add to your riding comfort.
You will learn this very soon after riding for a month or two.

There are many clubsnappers who are riding high-end MTBs or roadbikes/streetbikes. The wheelset they own cost more than your budget for the whole bike. The more you know about bike riding the more you are willing to spend on better compononts and that will depend also on the amout of money you want to spend on this recreation.

I prefer V brake for its lighter weight because the heavier the bike, the harder for you on the peddle when doing uphill or slope.

It is a good ideal to have someone to go together to see and discuss your preferences and not be taken for a ride sometimes especially when the dealers discover you are a newbie in the biking world. :)

+evenstar said:
oh anyway, can someone tell me the use of having an extra suspension system under the seat?

The purpose of good suspension system is actually 2 things, control and traction. Control down the slopes and traction up. And becuz bikes with good rear suspension are usually more "forgiving" on the body, it is usually more comfortable.
Bikes with good rear suspension designs are not cheap.

For major manufacturers, the color of the frame could and does mean a different price. Different color frame could mean that the bike is equip with different components. You have to check the actual bike vs the "recommended" list of component. If we look the "XTC" range of Giant's line-up, the subtle difference in the in frame decal translate into a difference in components used. And the price difference can be quite big. And in this case, several thousand dollars.

Check with tiong hin uncle what are the difference other than the frame color, what are the diff for the boulder.

Different color of frames could also mean that the material used to construct the frame is different. If we look at the "Specialized" M5 hardtail frame. The red frame is actually made from aluminum, while the black frame is made of carbon. The price difference here is very large. Even if both frames are made of aluminum, than there might be the difference of single , double and triple butting, which is not visible to the eye. You have to do research.

The list of friendlier bikeshops includes, imho, tef bikers junction, soon watt, hupleong, SCH, trek3(make sure u dress), tay cycles(on a good day), bike boutique and tiong hin. Well, at least these are the shops I go to when i look for stuff.

Dont be detered by bike owners with high value bikes. It is the rider that counts, not the bike.

Have fun

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: ... Tay cycles ... the shop uncle with an attitude ...

My pick for the east would be SCH .. cyclecraft for Scott USA / Rodalink / SingleTrek

Anyway another thing is, if you're going to park your bike @ the MRT, no chain/surveilance camera is gonna deter a thief. Kind of scary.

Never ever get those cheapo digital locks. Get key types and make sure its made of solid steel - Go for the brand Kryptonite. They manufacture excellent U -Locks.

Simply put - my bike goes where i go.

As for components .. no one really highlighted what shimano parts are good what are not.

Basically shimano has parts that are "normal leisure ride use" and those - "hard-core". Anything above the "Deore" range eg. Deore / Deore LX / Deore XT / Deore XTR " .. is considered mid-to-highend. Shifting with these transmissions are smoother and gears are longer lasting. Anything below the Deore range - eg. Acera, you can get by only with day to day leisure cycle - if you're intending to go long distance, the gears might wear out - ALA sharks fin on the gears, transmission slips/chain drops - but this will happen over time the more you ride the bike.

can try teck hock hin at Blk 128 bedok north,it is also a decent bike shop in the east.

Ren_Hao said:
The purpose of good suspension system is actually 2 things, control and traction. Control down the slopes and traction up. And becuz bikes with good rear suspension are usually more "forgiving" on the body, it is usually more comfortable.
Bikes with good rear suspension designs are not cheap.

For major manufacturers, the color of the frame could and does mean a different price. Different color frame could mean that the bike is equip with different components. You have to check the actual bike vs the "recommended" list of component. If we look the "XTC" range of Giant's line-up, the subtle difference in the in frame decal translate into a difference in components used. And the price difference can be quite big. And in this case, several thousand dollars.

Check with tiong hin uncle what are the difference other than the frame color, what are the diff for the boulder.

Different color of frames could also mean that the material used to construct the frame is different. If we look at the "Specialized" M5 hardtail frame. The red frame is actually made from aluminum, while the black frame is made of carbon. The price difference here is very large. Even if both frames are made of aluminum, than there might be the difference of single , double and triple butting, which is not visible to the eye. You have to do research.

The list of friendlier bikeshops includes, imho, tef bikers junction, soon watt, hupleong, SCH, trek3(make sure u dress), tay cycles(on a good day), bike boutique and tiong hin. Well, at least these are the shops I go to when i look for stuff.

Dont be detered by bike owners with high value bikes. It is the rider that counts, not the bike.

Have fun

Long list of shops but i don't know anyone of them or their location.
any shops near marine parade?

Thanks. might just go down and see. :D

There's a bike shop near Chinatown (I believe it's Hup Leong) that you can try..
Last I went there, they had a pretty cheap MTB for sale. Jamis Durango Alu Alloy frame, SIS group, Sram rear derailer etc.. Pretty decent parts and all for just $320.

Firefox said:
There's a bike shop near Chinatown that you can try.. Last I went there, they had a pretty cheap MTB for sale. Jamis Durango Alu Alloy frame, SIS group, Sram rear derailer etc.. Pretty decent and all for just $320.

oh... $250 is my MAXIMUM budget... :D thanks for the help though.

Thanks all.

I have decided to heed advice and get the Giant bike.

Sianzrong > For $250, you can get the Hasa T9. It's quite a pretty popular model and looks quite funky too. You can check out TEF@Balestier. They can get you the stock in 2 days' time.

SianZronG said:
Long list of shops but i don't know anyone of them or their location.
any shops near marine parade?

Thanks. might just go down and see. :D

You can check out www.togoparts.com as a fellow cser sugguested. They have a shops listing for almost all bikeshops in singapore.
For cannodale, u can check out single trek cycle.

just saw One of the Pedros bikes or peugeot bikes the boss say the company has already stopped producing bike.

NO suspensions, just a push style gear shift. push to go up or down one shift.

he quoted me $320.... any suggestions?

kex said:
can try teck hock hin at Blk 128 bedok north,it is also a decent bike shop in the east.

yup. it's one of the cheaper shops around. i bought my Giant ATX-840 from them in 1999.

nikkie said:
GIANT is everywhere in Taiwan (made there too). they have low end and high end models. the lowest of their mades are even comparable to those silly Aleocas in Carrefour. The higher end models are like indeed a few Ks.

Nowoder, he said the CF model is as good if not better than TREK....it was rode by the Discovery team in Tour de France :thumbsup:

SianZronG said:
just saw One of the Pedros bikes or peugeot bikes the boss say the company has already stopped producing bike.

NO suspensions, just a push style gear shift. push to go up or down one shift.

he quoted me $320.... any suggestions?

I think it's a Pugeot MTB no suspensions, Shimano shift levers but i dunno what type one also. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.