Calling all photographers to be EXPOSED! Free Exhibition space at Orchard Central!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adelachia

Jan 12, 2010
Eunos
A month-long photography exhibition entitled ‘Exposure’ will be held at Orchard Central from 22 Jan - 21 Feb 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=239381072660&ref=nf

Exposure – a double entendre showcasing non-commercial and professional photographers. Be part of the ‘exposure’ to share your works with the general public who appreciate photography. Mingle and interact with like-minded people through a series of clinics and networking sessions throughout the entire period.

Spanning across Level 1, Discovery walk, down to The Mediterranean located at Basement 1 and Basement 2, these spaces will be used as a platform which not only showcase your works but also serve as point of sales for photographers and active interaction between the photography communities.

If you think you’re up for it, email us minimum 5 artwork thumbnails or portfolio web links to: adela@ape.sg

Any enquires, just drop us an email too! We won’t bite…

Brought to you by Ape Communications.

Artwork prints from photographers are to be A1 size, 3 to 4 pieces

Hi,
Went through your website.
Still trying to figure out how it all works?

We send you a set of 5 photos.
Than you choose the photographs you like and they are displayed.

Now, you said, people can buy them, so:
- Who decides the price of the photo? You or photographer?
- How much percentage of sale does photographer gets?
- Is this a contest? And if yes, the award is to get your work displayed or is there anything more than that.

Look forward to your reply.

I'll like to know more too, especially things about ownership of photos. :)

I think it will be tough to attract people to join as not much details are out such as ownership of photos, how the images will be handled etc. The information provided here and on the official website is different. It is mentioned that people interested are to submit only 1 photo per person, but here it is written as 5? :p

Hope more details can be provided.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you all for those who submit your 5 thumbnails or portfolio links! The response has been overwhelming. The free space that are filling fast now left 2 units available!

Just to clarify some points...

We are organising a Photography Exhibition - "Exposure" in Orchard Central mall on 22 Jan – 21 Feb 2010. During the exhibition, there will be "Photo Clinics" session on the 3 consecutive saturdays 23 Jan, 30 Jan and 6 Feb, 1-4pm where participating photographers/studio will give talks to public. (e.g. presentation about photography, tips and tricks, Q & A...)

And also we are opening a competition from now till 29 Jan. Theme and regulations as follows:

Contest Theme:
Orchard Central – The Center of New

Guidelines:
Everything and anything that revolves/located within and around Orchard Central

Entry Submissions:
Open to photographers of all levels. Submit entry online at www.exposure.sg
Submission ends 29 Jan, 10pm. One entry per photographer.

Prize: Dell XPS 13 Laptop worth $1,999

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From those who are interested in free showcase space:

Currently we have only 2 units left at Orchard Central B2 where professional photographers showcase their work at no charge. You could decorate up the whole unit to your preference. Photographers/studio just need to provide your own printouts for the exhibition. Photographers/studio can sell their artwork at the mall, price decided by themselves. Sales details (e.g. commission percentage and process) will be discuss after photographers/studio are selected through portfolio links. The only commitment I need from photographers/studio is that they have to give a talk/presentation on 1 of the 3 saturdays for the "Photo Clinics" session, any time slot in between 1 - 4pm (duration about 45min).

Photographers retain full rights to the photos always. Theme/genres of photos of what photographers can showcase is flexible as long as its not vulgar or contradicting to the mall.

If you think you’re up for it, email us minimum 5 artwork thumbnails or portfolio web links to: adela@ape.sg for vetting and we will get back to you when you're selected for the last 2 units space available.

Hope this clarify things up :)

The only commitment I need from photographers/studio is that they have to give a talk/presentation on 1 of the 3 saturdays for the "Photo Clinics" session, any time slot in between 1 - 4pm (duration about 45min).

i have a few questions; how do you determine whether the presentation will be good? is it literally open-ended, i.e. photographers will decide on any topic they want? what if you end up with a series of talks with the same topic?

also, how many booths are there in total that were FOC?

if you don't mind me saying, this does seem to me like a blatant attempt at cutting corners by looking for "free speakers", "free prints". with limited big names and limited publicity (facebook event has 75 people confirming attendance, the site has its own domain but is obviously using a blog hosting site).. i am questioning the amount of exposure the photographers will get in return.

Last edited:
Yup photographers will provide their own prints & deco up the unit as they see deem fit

i have a few questions; how do you determine whether the presentation will be good? is it literally open-ended, i.e. photographers will decide on any topic they want? what if you end up with a series of talks with the same topic?

also, how many booths are there in total that were FOC?

if you don't mind me saying, this does seem to me like a blatant attempt at cutting corners by looking for "free speakers", "free prints". with limited big names and limited publicity (facebook event has 75 people confirming attendance, the site has its own domain but is obviously using a blog hosting site).. i am questioning the amount of exposure the photographers will get in return.

Thank you for interest and comments.
How do you determine whether the presentation will be good? - Before the presenatation comes into place, first we're gathering interest parties and vet thru their portfolio link they provide thus filtering quality of photographer's standards. When interest parties are genuinely interested/serious abt participating, then we will talk in details. We will plan accordingly with no clash repeated topics.

The objective/style of the event is meant to be an open, unconfined, unbias of genre, so as to engage different form of photography and intro them to public appreciation. As well as creating a platform for interaction between photography communities.

All the display spaces at Orchard Central Mall, right in the heart of town area are all FOC. And they've all been taken up. I hereby thank you all for your interest and overwhelming submissions!

Our objective are not really attempting to get "free speakers", "free prints". Instead we're giving free space to serious interested parties in a open-minded, indiscriminative way. The "prints" & copyrights of the "prints" all along belong to the photographers. We even offer them the option to put price tag (decided by them) if they want. The talks of photographers is a gd/chance platform for them to introduce their work more to public.

As for the names of participants, we initially will not release the info at earlier stage due confidentially reason. Currently, several names like Professional Photographers Association (Singapore), Objectifs, Lomotion and other studio/individual photographers is coming on board. Beside facebook or other photography forums, we're engaging other A&P methods.

Hope it clarify a bit...

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your interest and overwhelming submissions for the free space! They've all been filled up now.

However, there is still a competition open from now till 29 Jan. Theme and regulations as follows:

Contest Theme:
Orchard Central – The Center of New

Guidelines:
Everything and anything that revolves/located within and around Orchard Central

Entry Submissions:
Open to photographers of all levels. Submit entry online at www.exposure.sg
Submission ends 29 Jan, 10pm. One entry per photographer.

Prize: Dell XPS 13 Laptop worth $1,999

Thanks all!

Hey guys, here's the Free Photo Clinics Session Schedule & Timings

Saturdays on 30 Jan, 6 Feb and 20 Feb
at Orchard Central Shopping Mall Basement 1 (in front of unit B1-23)

Saturday 30 Jan 2010

2.00 - 3.00pm
“What the ____ is Lomography?” – Objectifs
3.00 - 4.00pm
“What it takes to be a professional photographer” – PPAS

Saturday 6 Feb 2010

1.00 - 2.00pm
“Landscape Photography: Techniques & Tricks” – Lawrence Yeung
3.00 - 3.30pm
“Nature & Wildlife Photography” – C.S Ling
3.30 - 4.00pm
“The charm of film and Lo-Fi cameras” – Lomotion

Saturday 20 Feb 2010

1.00 - 2.00pm
“Beyond Basic 2010” – George Wong
2.00 - 3.00pm
“How we do it?” – Lumina
3.00 - 4.00pm
“5 Sec Faces” – Danny Santos

Come down and take a look, mingle with like-minded photography enthuisiats!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=239381072660&ref=nf

Free Photo Clinics Session!

Saturdays on 30 Jan, 6 Feb and 20 Feb
at Orchard Central Shopping Mall Basement 1 (in front of unit B1-23)

Tomorrow.

Saturday 20 Feb 2010

1.00 - 2.00pm
“Beyond Basic 2010” – George Wong
2.00 - 3.00pm
“How we do it?” – Lumina
3.00 - 4.00pm
“5 Sec Faces” – Danny Santos

Status
Not open for further replies.