Calling all newbies..

EddyKoh

Dec 21, 2009
Hi guys.. As a newbie myself, I find that it's a little hard to search the forum. Especially when you're not too sure what you're talking about yourself. (I'm guilty of that.. :( )

As such.. I was thinking of creating a thread where people contribute little tips that they have picked up along the way..

e.g 50mm lens use 1/50 sec shutter speed or sunny f/16 rule or even simple stuff like keeping a piece of white card at all times for WB or reflector.

These tips are all over CS. Hope to have more contributions. :)

Just get a dry cabinet, no need to be in dilemma over dry box vs dry cabinet. It doesn't cost much to run and saves you lots of trouble.

Tip for newbies: Don't freak out when you can't focus on a subject close to the lens. That's because every lens has a Minimum Focal Distance (MFD) and most probably you are too close to the subject.

When starting off, don't listen to what others tell you to buy, stick with your kit lens (18-XX or 18-XXX) till you know exactly what you want.

Be dare to ask. No question is stupid.
in forum, you meet all sorts of people. Accept all with your open heart. Some may be harsh, some may just give you some mysterious answer...and many others different type of reply.....

For lens... for newbies... Go RENT.... dont buy because with our little knowledge, give you all the website with good review and all the technical review explaination, frankly.,.. we also wont get the detail. All is about trying. Once you have the lens with you, you can then try for a good whole day. Going to shop and try with the lens, frankly for me, i felt only applicable to those pros here.... for me.. i still need to rent, try for 1 day then can get like 50% sure-ness :)

For shutter, most people can withstand at 1/125 shutter speed or higher. for me... i use min 1/150.... cause hand shake...
ISO - its okie to have ISO.. .doesnt mean every picture must be low noise, can only use ISO 100 and keep shooting resulting to get the image, we lower all our shutter and aperture which result blur or cmi image..

These are what i have learn from seniors here. I am still beginner so hope these help.

Last edited:
A word of advice, "Buy only what you need."

Easier say then done though... so first you must be clear on what you are going to shoot - Landscape, street, macro, wildlife, portrait, etc... only by understanding what you are more into and wanted to shoot most, then you will know what equipment, accessories and lenses that you need.

Hi guys.. As a newbie myself, I find that it's a little hard to search the forum. Especially when you're not too sure what you're talking about yourself. (I'm guilty of that.. :( )

As such.. I was thinking of creating a thread where people contribute little tips that they have picked up along the way..

e.g 50mm lens use 1/50 sec shutter speed or sunny f/16 rule or even simple stuff like keeping a piece of white card at all times for WB or reflector.

These tips are all over CS. Hope to have more contributions. :)

I think the sticky threads like
1) What DSLR to buy
2) How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)
3) Photography notes for Newbies
4) Newbie Guide to filters

are already quite comprehensive, and offer a wealth of information :)

I think the sticky threads like
1) What DSLR to buy
2) How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)
3) Photography notes for Newbies
4) Newbie Guide to filters

are already quite comprehensive, and offer a wealth of information :)

Yes. I agree... But the wealth of info there confuses some. There has to be a reason why people still ask in forums. Can't be thatt all of them are ignorant and just ask on forum. I always wanted something like this.. compiled tips just make it easier to remember and rules of thumbs are always easier to accept as a newbie.. Once we learn to walk.. then we can start exploring.. :) That's all.. Thanks for the input guys...

I would suggest you spend at least 10 hours a day reading as much posts in this forum like the rest of us did...
And then you just shoot and shoot.. Pictures and questions..
;)

Going by the way how most of the newbies behave, I'm quite sure this thread will be omitted as well. A good example is we have stickies all over the forum telling newbies how to attach pictures, and even have specific articles on this. And yet questions on how to post pictures are asked all the time. And when the thread gets long, seldom will people read the entire thread in contrast to articles on specific topics. Making things worse is there could be a lot of mis-information in threads like this.

There has to be a reason why people still ask in forums. Can't be thatt all of them are ignorant and just ask on forum.

Actually yes. 99% will never look/search before posting.

<--- guilty sometimes :p
But lucky those read my lazy post are patient and give me guidance either in forum or they pm-ed me.
Btw, hope my above thread are my personal experience... not 100% die hard correct de hor. :embrass:

Yes. I agree... But the wealth of info there confuses some. There has to be a reason why people still ask in forums. Can't be thatt all of them are ignorant and just ask on forum. I always wanted something like this.. compiled tips just make it easier to remember and rules of thumbs are always easier to accept as a newbie.. Once we learn to walk.. then we can start exploring.. :) That's all.. Thanks for the input guys...

Compiled tips... the stickes are already compiled tips, with the added benefit of everything on the first page of the thread. It's a lot easier to look there than to go through a thread where people just post random tips without any direction or purpose. Most of the time, what happens is one or two topics come up that sparks a debate over several pages and it gets messy and tedious to wade through all the discussion to actually find tips.

If you REALLY want a "tips" thread, reserve several slots at the start of the thread then edit those entries as people post information. You have to manage it. Several threads already do that, that's why they're stickied. Nothing wrong in starting another thread in a similar fashion IMO, but are you willing to do that?

Though I don't find it difficult to use the "search" function.

But hope newbie here can get an anti-BBB program for eg "Wife v2.1" to prevent yourselves from getting BBB virus.
It's very contagious over here...

Going by the way how most of the newbies behave, I'm quite sure this thread will be omitted as well. A good example is we have stickies all over the forum telling newbies how to attach pictures, and even have specific articles on this. And yet questions on how to post pictures are asked all the time. And when the thread gets long, seldom will people read the entire thread in contrast to articles on specific topics. Making things worse is there could be a lot of mis-information in threads like this.

Actually once this thread gets long, I'm sure not many will read the tips anymore.. But I'm hoping it helps cos when I first started out, I was confused til I used a few "Rules of Thumb" that I found in books and mags. I'm still learning.. I know everyone at CS just wants to be helpful, but I've had my fair share of crap tips as well.. and I learned from it. Once I kept shooting wide open cos "Shallow DOF is nice"... but that caused a lot of problems too... but u learn from it.. :)

Compiled tips... the stickes are already compiled tips, with the added benefit of everything on the first page of the thread. It's a lot easier to look there than to go through a thread where people just post random tips without any direction or purpose. Most of the time, what happens is one or two topics come up that sparks a debate over several pages and it gets messy and tedious to wade through all the discussion to actually find tips.

If you REALLY want a "tips" thread, reserve several slots at the start of the thread then edit those entries as people post information. You have to manage it. Several threads already do that, that's why they're stickied. Nothing wrong in starting another thread in a similar fashion IMO, but are you willing to do that?

Wow.. I'd like to do that.. I thought of just compiling it and editing my first post.. Lol... I suck at forums.. Never thot of "reserving" slots.. Maybe I'll do that..

maybe the Search is not big or obvious enough to let ppl use or see it

maybe the Search is not big or obvious enough to let ppl use or see it

Its the mentality...

If you have a mentality to always search for your own answer, you will go to google straight away.
If you have a mentality that someone will spoon feed you, you will post it on a forum w/o thinking.